Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:27:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Encryption Backup Copy Few Questions  (Read 459 times)
CoinGeneral (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The General

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:41:55 AM

I have a few questions about the wallet encryption backup copy

Question 1)

Say I have a backup copy on a thumb drive somewhere, and when I backed it up it had 0.01 bitcoins

Now I don't touch the drive for a month, and some guy pays me 0.001 bitcoins to the address/wallet data that was backed up

Once I open up that backup.dat file again, will I see 0.011 bitcoins or 0.01 bitcoins available in the balance?

Keep in mind when I exported the backup it only had .01 bitcoins.

Question 2)

How to load up a backup.dat file?

Question 3)

Is it better to encrypt a wallet or to leave it unencrypted?

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:03:01 AM

Offtopic.  You probably want tech support.

But, while you are here...

There are no bitcoins in your wallet.  Your wallet contains keys that can be used to redeem bitcoins that have been sent to you, and a cache of transaction data involving those keys.

1. When your node is fully synchronized with the network and has completed rescanning the blocks, you'll see 0.011 BTC.  You may see 0.01 at first, or even zero, depending on what blocks have been seen by the node you are using the wallet on.

2. Normally, do a new load of the bitcoin software on a new computer, drop the backup wallet into the data directory, rename it to wallet.dat, start the node and let it sync up.

3. Depends how you feel about having your bitcoins stolen.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: