Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:33:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the real problem with bitcoin (x-post)  (Read 506 times)
JohnBlack (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:42:23 AM

The main weakness of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies at the moment is that they are distributed systems depending on centralized ones (I am looking at you, banking account) that will probably try to fight them, sooner or later, in order to keep their power.

The only solution would be something that has come up repeatedly from time to time on this very forum and on many others, a decentralized bitcoin exchange (if possible integrated into the client, you don't want a website that can go down for that) based on a web of trust (a la http://bitcoin-otc.com/) and including integrated escrow capabilities.

Such a system would allow people to convert fiat into btc by doing regular transactions between individuals, thus drastically reducing any possibility of regulation, or hack for that matter, that could have a negative impact on the price, less FUD, on the other hand, could probably mean a more stable price over the long run.

ps. I don't see Ripple as being a solution, there is no need to add another crypto to the mix in my view

What do you think? Is there anything like that on the roadmap? Is there any credible project out there as far as you know? I can help with the design side if someone want to start it

beers: 13PKLWBw4SvXk8QQ9dfGkuET3Msw5idNEU
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 04:48:29 PM

Have you searched this forum for terms like decentralised exchange, holy grail, and suchlike?

(I am wondering why you seem unaware of the massive, vast, huge amount of material already present here on this topic...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
JohnBlack (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:11:59 PM

The only solution would be something that has come up repeatedly from time to time on this very forum and on many others, a decentralized bitcoin exchange

Hi Mark,

I was well aware that there are many ongoing projects at the moment, I was just wondering if anyone can point me to some of the most credible ones in order to have the chance to collaborate.

beers: 13PKLWBw4SvXk8QQ9dfGkuET3Msw5idNEU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: