Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:53:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Ubuntu 13.10 safe for creating paper wallets!??  (Read 1284 times)
jimmypagey (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:15:01 AM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was safe to run the other version of Ubuntu- 13.10 burned to a USB for using it on a MacBook pro retina, booting it up through the EFI option since clicking on the "Windows" option doesn't detect that the Ubuntu OS is there. so anyways booting it using the EFI option and clicking "try Ubuntu" rather then installing it. Would that be safe and secure or is the other version-Ubuntu 12.04 better to use for creating offline paper wallets? I tried to boot from that version first but it wouldn't work matter what on this MacBook, (works on older computer though) so only the 13.10 Ubuntu works on the newer MacBook. how ever the screen resolution of Ubuntu  is extremely small and you can barely see the cursor, would this effect generating paperwallets? if it could be a glitch? (Using the exact same Ubuntu live USB on the older MacBook starts up with a normal screen size rather then it does on the new MacBook).
(BTW running Ubuntu would be kept offline at all times) & Would running this new version of Ubuntu possibly save onto the new MBP's memory system? Older 12.04 Ubuntu does NOT boot on it at all)

I was also wondering if the new Bitaddress version 2.6.6 (the downloadable zip off github) is safe rather then using the older version from a month ago? I wanted to use Bitaddress for BIP38 encryption for a few wallets paper wallets .

Smiley Thank you,

Happy holidays everyone!!
xabbix

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:37:03 AM

There's no security risk or any difference by creating the paper wallet on Ubuntu 12.04/13. The new version of bitaddress and the version before it both support BIP38 so you're good to go.
desticy

Activity: 1512
Merit: 292

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:41:50 AM

wonderful..

jimmypagey (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:49:41 AM

But does any printer file/data save cause its on the new MacBook retina? it only boots through EPI boot mode, Is this a bad thing? will it be storing data hidden somewhere in my hard drive? Are USB's alright to use for Ubuntu live OS too? Like could it save anything? And should I just use the bitaddress from 2 months ago and make encrypted paper wallets?? still alright?? or should I just download the  new version of bitaddress? Thanks.
jimmypagey (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:51:18 AM

AND would it be safer to use 13.10 Ubuntu on a USB OR A CD? thank you all Smiley
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:48:50 AM

yes it would because u use a fresh drive (cd or usb), instead of a drive witch  already has ubuntu installed on it and has a small risk of having a virus.
jimmypagey (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:24:24 AM

Huh What about using bitaddress 6.2? whats the difference cause the one saved on my usb is actually 6.2 version
luqash3

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 06:22:00 PM

Frankly speaking nothing is safe on the internet. Tons of hackers are working day and night to breach your system and steal your private data including all your bitcoins so I would recommend not to use any money on net either its online banking or bitcoins. It’s not safe on windows, Mac and Ubuntu or other Operating system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: