Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:48:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC Jupiter (almost) completely dead, help please?  (Read 8262 times)
BroTroxer (OP)

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:11:14 AM

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Jupiter 550 gh/s mining rig. I did get to see the miner working away as it should when i picked it up. When i plugged it in at home i noticed the fans makes an attempt to start up, then goes off in less than a sec with what sounds like a fuse kicking in within the PSU. I have tried 2 PSU's, the 850W that came with it, and a new 1050W with the same result. No lights are lighting up, which might be because the fuse blows out too quickly, or a dead board. Anyone with tips towards troubleshooting, or suggestions as to what might be causing this?
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:15:30 AM

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Jupiter 550 gh/s mining rig. I did get to see the miner working away as it should when i picked it up. When i plugged it in at home i noticed the fans makes an attempt to start up, then goes off in less than a sec with what sounds like a fuse kicking in within the PSU. I have tried 2 PSU's, the 850W that came with it, and a new 1050W with the same result. No lights are lighting up, which might be because the fuse blows out too quickly, or a dead board. Anyone with tips towards troubleshooting, or suggestions as to what might be causing this?

what is your wall at?  15A?    try another outlet that doesn't have anything at all on it for its whole circuit to the breaker

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Easy2Mine

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:16:34 AM

Did you jumpstart the PSU?
I think you probably forget it.

BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:28:29 AM

Yes i jumped the PSU. Hence the fans are starting to spin up. It does get power for a very short while, but the PSU cuts off almost immediately. Moving the same PSU with the power up pins jumped to a different rig shows the PSU works fine.
Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:32:28 AM

October Jupiter or November Jupiter?
Oh its a October

DPoS

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:32:43 AM

Yes i jumped the PSU. Hence the fans are starting to spin up. It does get power for a very short while, but the PSU cuts off almost immediately. Moving the same PSU with the power up pins jumped to a different rig shows the PSU works fine.

maybe you got some loose wires in that jupiter...  make sure everything is seated..  perhaps even do one module only and see whats up

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:34:51 AM

what is your wall at?  15A?    try another outlet that doesn't have anything at all on it for its whole circuit to the breaker

Already done. The fuse at the wall does not trigger so that should be fine. The wall fuses available are 15A - 25A. The miner is currently setup on a 15A without any other load for testing. Thanks for your input.
Easy2Mine

einc.io

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:37:22 AM

You are using 4 separate pci-e cables or 2 splitted pci-e cables?

BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:44:19 AM

maybe you got some loose wires in that jupiter...  make sure everything is seated..  perhaps even do one module only and see whats up

I will check every connection as soon as I got the time to do so. Do you (or anyone in here) know if the controller should boot with only the 4-pin molex connected, no modules powered? I did try a boot with no modules during my initial troubleshooting yesterday, and only got the 2 front fans running. I don't think any of the leds were lighting up, and certainly didn't see any activity on the Ethernet port.

Thanks a lot input. Much appreciated.
BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:48:36 AM

You are using 4 separate pci-e cables or 2 splitted pci-e cables?

4 separated pci-e cables are used.
DPoS

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:54:58 AM

I will check every connection as soon as I got the time to do so. Do you (or anyone in here) know if the controller should boot with only the 4-pin molex connected, no modules powered? I did try a boot with no modules during my initial troubleshooting yesterday, and only got the 2 front fans running. I don't think any of the leds were lighting up, and certainly didn't see any activity on the Ethernet port.

one thing, if you unplug a module's power, make sure to unplug the ribbon cable too..  always unplug both.

Yes, you can boot with no modules..  it should show both red and green leds and you should see the webpage too..

also, look at the controller board for anything odd..  who knows if something is loose like the molex since it is easy to mess the solder with those (molex is the dumbest standard of anything ever..  such crap)

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:58:08 PM

Sounds like something is shorting, try booting one board at a time to determine where the culprit lies, then RMA that board. Also make sure you remove and reinsert the ATX lead to the PSU once shorted to reset the PSU, but please do not use any 'intelligent' PSUs from the corsair range, i.e. Hx860i.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:15:43 PM

one thing, if you unplug a module's power, make sure to unplug the ribbon cable too..  always unplug both.

Yes, you can boot with no modules..  it should show both red and green leds and you should see the webpage too..

also, look at the controller board for anything odd..  who knows if something is loose like the molex since it is easy to mess the solder with those (molex is the dumbest standard of anything ever..  such crap)

Unplugged the modules, ribbons, pretty much everything except the front fans and the controller board itself. The fans power up just fine but the board seems completely dead otherwise. Will unmount it from the case and have a look at it soon. I guess it is highly unlikely that the molex is bad as the fans are actually powering from that board?
BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:33:22 PM

Sounds like something is shorting, try booting one board at a time to determine where the culprit lies, then RMA that board. Also make sure you remove and reinsert the ATX lead to the PSU once shorted to reset the PSU, but please do not use any 'intelligent' PSUs from the corsair range, i.e. Hx860i.

When you mentioned shorting, i had a close look at the board when i figured that it can not boot on its own even without ASICs attached. Could it perhaps be an IC chip that is causing it to halt completely? I do not have any schematics to go by so I'm quite in the dark on this one. The only thing i noticed on the board that looks weird is the TPS chip which is located near the molex. Two of the legs of the chips seems to be soldered together, and i do not know if this has been caused by some short or if it is by design. Leaving a couple of images for the people to look at.

If any of you guys out there that got one these units could have a look it would be great to get advice or even a high def image of the board, and  of this chip in particular.

th3joker

Activity: 319

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:50:51 PM

I had a November one do the exact same thing, KNC replaced a faulty module in the end.

Disconnect all power and data cables internally then connect each module separately until you find the bad one.

KNC will replace the bad one under warranty and you can run the miner with 3 modules until they return it. Not sure if there would be any queries due to you not being the original purchaser though.

Just re read your last post sounds like your controller board is fried, contact KNC.
BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 04:36:20 PM

I had a November one do the exact same thing, KNC replaced a faulty module in the end.

Disconnect all power and data cables internally then connect each module separately until you find the bad one.

KNC will replace the bad one under warranty and you can run the miner with 3 modules until they return it. Not sure if there would be any queries due to you not being the original purchaser though.

Just re read your last post sounds like your controller board is fried, contact KNC.

Contacted KNC about the issue with no sign of life on the controller board and the troubleshooting progress that has been made. They told me to try the SD recovery image. I followed the instructions, and as expected that did nothing for the probably fried board.

Could anyone offer a tip as to what component might be fried that allows for the two fan connections to remain powered while the rest of the board appears completely dead?
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:46:17 PM

The beaglebone?

Is there sign of life there? A sequence of lights and a resultant blue led emitting heartbeat? If you get that far it's likely to be non controller board related.

If you can't it's a controller board RMA in simple terms.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:13:34 PM

The beaglebone?

Is there sign of life there? A sequence of lights and a resultant blue led emitting heartbeat? If you get that far it's likely to be non controller board related.

If you can't it's a controller board RMA in simple terms.

No sign of life. Attempted SD recovery as suggested even though it was clear in my support request that the board shows no sign of life and I want to purchase one, or rma if purchase is not an option. Sent a new support request today. Still no answer.
BroTroxer (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 12:46:43 PM

RMA accepted. The miner should be up and running again in a month.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:02:14 PM

RMA accepted. The miner should be up and running again in a month.

Why a month? It took me less than one week to RMA one dead board starting with my first e-mail to them and ending with powering the board up.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: