Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:16:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Bitcoin even need China to have a $8.5 billion market cap?  (Read 940 times)
NUFCrichard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:24:53 AM

$8.5 billion is the market cap at the moment.  It sucks that China are messing around stopping banks from investing in them and 3rd party exchanges etc, but does Bitcoin really need China to maintain the market cap.?

$8.5 billion is peanuts, and the price rise and increased press has only increased the number of places where people can buy and use Bitcoins.  Finland has it's first bitcoin ATM, in the UK people will be able to buy Bitcoins at almost every corner shop, Switzerland want to classify it as a foreign currency, Germany already have.  Cyprus have the first Bitcoin bank opening in a months time...
As a guide, the 100th biggest company in the world has a market cap of $70 billion, LinkedIn has a $25.5 billion market cap! Bitcoin has so much room to grow that it is unreal. 

I think if China wants out of the Bitcoin market, then fine.  Bitcoin has a bright future with or without them. I see $2000 next year no problems.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:34:56 AM

This. And the real market cap is far lower than 8 billion due to lost coins and Satoshi's coins.

Also, it is now very clear that Chinese people can legally own bitcoin. OTC trade is also legal. So China is not completely out

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:37:22 AM

This. And the real market cap is far lower than 8 billion due to lost coins and Satoshi's coins.

Also, it is now very clear that Chinese people can legally own bitcoin. OTC trade is also legal. So China is not completely out

Actually we should count unused coins too.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
jinni

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:04:55 AM

Yes, China is not completely out. It looks to me like the Chinese government is trying to send a message to its citizens about who is in control. Regulating Bitcoin in a similar way to precious metals is not a bad idea at all.

Besides, what Chinese businessman/woman wouldn't accept Bitcoin "under the counter"? I mean the Chinese already cheat on taxes big time. Not paying full taxes is endemic, and when you have the possibility to anonymously accept a speculative digital gold that "go to da mooon", it would make logical business sense (no taxes, hard currency) and it would be like gambling on a lottery ticket at the same time ("to da mooon").

So maybe you wouldn't be able to buy a coffee in a coffee shop openly with BTC (like in Berlin), but you could probably buy cars, jewelery, computers, basically anything that is relatively easy to trade in a gray market.

The second aspect of Chinese regulation is what comes next. Banning Bitcoin outright seems overly excessive and would be a deeply unpopular move. It's not unheard of for the Chinese government to do things that are deeply unpopular with its population, but the Chinese government is probably acutely aware that they don't have unlimited political capital, and if people start becoming really really unhappy they will be in trouble. So an outright ban is probably out of the question for quite a while.

If the regulatory status quo doesn't last for ever, the other option is that, after a while in the gray currency market, Bitcoin will slowly be phased in to the regular currency market with whatever regulatory headache that requires.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:49:00 PM

i do not know any chinese but i think they know their govt much better than i do. This move was very predictable for china and i think it won't stop them to invest. Now bitcoin just has to prove unstoppable (wich it is), investor will soon find the way to the bitcoin gold chest.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Boxman90

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 03:51:49 PM

Oh lol I love these threads. The past month or so everyone was "EHMAHGERD CHINA IS DRIVING THIS SHIP TO THE MOON" and prices would go to 10k USD. And now that China is out of the picture, these delusional bulls are trying to spin it like "Meh maybe we don't need China". Know what that rieks of? Desparation.

I don't know what it'll take to knock some sense into you, but if China was responsible for the rise up, their buying power has just been _removed_, so expect sub 300 USD prices again.

For the rest, I'm definitely laughing at all these delusional bulls right now. Thank you for your money.

LTC: LKKy4eDWyVtSrQAJy7Qmmz61RaFY91D9yC   BTC: 18fzdnCkuUNthCD8hM36UBGopFa9ij78gG
chrsjrcj

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:31:03 PM

The China story was media bs. Now they're bumping up India.
SuperHakka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:19:31 PM

$8.5bn? people have no perspective of money these days. try counting out a billion dollars by hand. also I read today that just $20bn is enough to feed and provide shelter for every living human on this planet for one year.

'First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they attack you. Then you win.' - Mohandas Gandhi
"Whenever I'm about to do something, I think, 'Would an idiot do this?' and if he would, I do not do that thing." - Dwight Schrute
barbs

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 05:22:47 PM

China can kiss my pink butt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: