Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 12:31:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cpu mining/hardware heat problem  (Read 867 times)
flexgroo (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:19:26 AM

Well i finally downloaded all the programs needed to mine on my laptop using cpu, took a few days and weeks of reading and lots of help from the forum only to find out my laptop can mine for about 5 minutes before shutting off, guess its a heat problem

so what i need from you is;

1. is it worth mining altcoins just for fun on a laptop while i sit here deployed in Afghanistan, if so will a new laptop with say 3 to 4 gig video work or
2. When i go home on leave, build a tower, for mining, using GPUs, and bring it back overseas with me, to set up in my room
3 save the money and buy a BTC miner
4. put more money into the BTC pools using the new th/s equipment coming out
5. buy the 3 th/s miner, and leave it at home and hope it runs by itself while i am overseas deployed

money really is not hard to get, and i have enough to do most of that...

any help would be nice, because as of right now mining in a pool for 3 to 4 minutes is not doing well or fun at all, lol

Flexgroo

one more thing, what program or how to i check the temp of my computer?
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:28:19 PM

1) no
2) maybe, but probably not - litecoin asics are not far away, and a gpu rig will not pay for itself if that happens
3) i would suggest this
4) probably not - most 'rental harware' is a ripoff. the only one close might be the 100TH (now 500TH) mine.
5) iffy suggestion - if it goes offline and stays unfixed for several days/weeks/months your investment is lost

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:31:17 PM

6) Buy some BTC and LTC, keep your wallet safe, and watch the long-term exchange rates

flexgroo (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 03:52:47 AM

First thank you for the honest no BS answers

Yes right now i am mostly just buying BTC and saving, and holding for a few years

I need a computer at work in afghanistan, so i might just put 2 GPUs in one and use it just for fun...

On the buying of the Nuptune 3 th/s if i am overseas working, is there an APP for that one to check its status? force it to reboot or anything? Also, my wife is smarter then me, if she checks on it, should she be able to figure out how to turn it back on, or notice if there are any problems?

Thanks again

Flexgroo
Mortimer452

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 04:31:32 AM

1. is it worth mining altcoins just for fun on a laptop while i sit here deployed in Afghanistan, if so will a new laptop with say 3 to 4 gig video work or
2. When i go home on leave, build a tower, for mining, using GPUs, and bring it back overseas with me, to set up in my room
3 save the money and buy a BTC miner
4. put more money into the BTC pools using the new th/s equipment coming out
5. buy the 3 th/s miner, and leave it at home and hope it runs by itself while i am overseas deployed

1. No
2. Yes, that is probably your best option - if you can set it up in your room, you won't have to pay for power Smiley
3,4,5:
BTC mining is no longer profitable, in my opinion, unless you've already made a significant investment in high-powered ASIC mining hardware. 

You're too late to the game to spend any $$ on mining equipment now and expect to get your money back.
By the time the first batch of 1-3TH miners are shipped out in January, the difficulty on BTC will go so high, everyone else who gets theirs in March or April will hardly be able to mine anything.

However, if you do decide to buy one, you'll probably need to take it with you and setup in your room.  These things do need rebooted occasionally, it's unrealistic to think it'll just sit there and run for 6 months without intervention.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: