Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:07:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy bitcoins using Google Checkout - btcnow.net  (Read 7419 times)
nmat (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 09:55:46 PM

wait look at the prices $18 a coin lol that guy is almost doubling his profits if he bought them at 9.** a coin

He changed from $14 to $18. That's stretching the rope... People will not pay $18 for a bitcoin right now.

Anyway, I think he only wants to test out the scammers. Someone should claim a chargeback on him  Cool

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
J180

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 10:01:07 PM

wait look at the prices $18 a coin lol that guy is almost doubling his profits if he bought them at 9.** a coin

He's also risking several 100 dollars of his own money, which might get lost in chargebacks, depending on how google deals with the issue.

If you think the potential profit is worth the risk, you could try doing it yourself.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 01:34:49 AM

As far as I'm concerned, here's the red flag I noticed on his page (in red)

if you enter your payout address carefully,
and are not using a stolen credit card,
you should see your coins immediately

Why include this line of text? It's like asking for someone to use a stolen credit card. In fact, I can't remember any site even remotely stating something like that.

Please correct me if I' wrong or totally off base.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:39:16 AM

Why include this line of text? It's like asking for someone to use a stolen credit card. In fact, I can't remember any site even remotely stating something like that.

I think its just him voicing the obvious potential problem..  He is taking some risk here I believe..

I like the site, and the idea through google.. very easy, good for general public

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
nmat (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:54:12 AM

Why include this line of text?

I think that is related to what he wrote on reddit. I'll quote:

Google actually has a very good system in place for fraud detection. It turns out that my third customer was trying to use his girlfriend's credit card to purchase coins (he assures me it was with her permission), and the payment was rejected. Very unexpected and happy surprise on my end for sure.
Since I am using that system (it's opt in) in theory if a chargeback does occur, google says that it will take the hit rather than me. The program only really covers physical items that are being shipped, but anyone can subscribe to the notifications, and I am quite impressed so far.
ysoliman

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:54:49 AM

Sounds legit to me but raising the price to $18 is quite ridiculous.
If the price eventually goes down I might buy 1BTC from them.

PS: For UK users $18 is about £10.
pekv2

Merit: 502

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:06:36 PM

I don't care what risks he/she is taking. 18 is madness. Someone should send him/her this link http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/ Then charge maybe 2 bucks on top of market price.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:15:42 PM

lol 18$

bitcoinTrader

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:43:24 PM

Yeah 18$ is really insane.... even if its very easy...

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 05:00:14 PM

Why include this line of text?

I think that is related to what he wrote on reddit. I'll quote:

Google actually has a very good system in place for fraud detection. It turns out that my third customer was trying to use his girlfriend's credit card to purchase coins (he assures me it was with her permission), and the payment was rejected. Very unexpected and happy surprise on my end for sure.
Since I am using that system (it's opt in) in theory if a chargeback does occur, google says that it will take the hit rather than me. The program only really covers physical items that are being shipped, but anyone can subscribe to the notifications, and I am quite impressed so far.

...and this

I think its just him voicing the obvious potential problem..  He is taking some risk here I believe..

I like the site, and the idea through google.. very easy, good for general public

Thank you both for that clarification. It does make sense. I also hope this site proves worthy.

Now, I wish to thank psy, again, for learning [sic] me how to insert two quotes into one post, thereby eliminating the need for me to have several posts in a roll of which I was accustomed to doing, due to my own ignorance. Smoothe!

pointbiz

Activity: 437
Merit: 415

1ninja

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 02:05:05 AM

I actually don't think $18USD is that unreasonable. Clearly this is a service for people to get a handful of coins, which theoretically should be at a premium.

Also, Virwox accepts credit cards, paypal and moneybookers. While it's not 100% easy/convenient for grandma, it's a very good place to get BTC via Visa/MasterCard.

Coder of: https://www.bitaddress.org      Thread
Open Source JavaScript Client-Side Bitcoin Wallet Generator
Donations: 1NiNja1bUmhSoTXozBRBEtR8LeF9TGbZBN   PGP
geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:32:24 AM

He was charging $14, and was selling much faster than he expected.  He doesn't get the money from his sales immediately, so he can't just go buy more.

So he raised the price to slow down sales.  If people still buy, at $18, then more power to him.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:02:46 AM

Careful...could be stolen credit cards.
Kermee

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:17:07 AM

I don't care what risks he/she is taking. 18 is madness. Someone should send him/her this link http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/ Then charge maybe 2 bucks on top of market price.

Obviously, you've never run a business which accepts credit cards before...

With your logic, if I sold $100 worth of BTC's at market price and charged $2 on top of it, I'd be losing money just from the fees that GoogleCheckout or any other credit card merchant account would charge for the transaction.

No one is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to buy BTC's from this person anyway.  If they want to sell Bitcoins for $18 while it's ~$11 USD on the market, more power to them.  It's not like they're charging $50 for a gallon of drinking water during a natural disaster.

Least from reading the rest of the thread... his domain name lives up to the expectation.

Cheers,
Kermee
pekv2

Merit: 502

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:35:44 AM

Obviously, you've never run a business which accepts credit cards before...

With your logic, if I sold $100 worth of BTC's at market price and charged $2 on top of it, I'd be losing money just from the fees that GoogleCheckout or any other credit card merchant account would charge for the transaction.

No one is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to buy BTC's from this person anyway.  If they want to sell Bitcoins for $18 while it's ~$11 USD on the market, more power to them.  It's not like they're charging $50 for a gallon of drinking water during a natural disaster.

Least from reading the rest of the thread... his domain name lives up to the expectation.

Cheers,
Kermee

I don't give a fuck, 18 dollars is insane, fee's or not, specially when the market is @ 10.8856 at the time of posting this. I agreed with a few people and a few people agreed with me on how ridiculous it is, and you quote me? Obviously screw off, plz.
Kermee

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:42:31 AM

I don't give a fuck

Obviously.

Cheers,
Kermee
Serith

Activity: 269

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:59:05 AM

I don't give a fuck, 18 dollars is insane, fee's or not, specially when the market is @ 10.8856 at the time of posting this. I agreed with a few people and a few people agreed with me on how ridiculous it is, and you quote me? Obviously screw off, plz.

Some people see number 18 and jump into conclusions. Btcnow.net front page says that the operator made the price so high to LOWER TRADE VOLUME while the site is in BETA, and that the price will change toward reasonable once operator will be sure that he didn't do any mistake in security setup.
ghgr

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2011, 03:03:50 PM

If you are interested in getting instant BTC with credit card you might be interested in the thread I open in the newsbies section
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38873.0
lathomas64

Activity: 127

View Profile
September 02, 2011, 08:38:19 PM

This is interesting, I want to keep an eye on this guy.
nmat (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2011, 01:04:24 PM

This is interesting, I want to keep an eye on this guy.

Actually, now it says "not connected to the back end". I wonder if something happened...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: