Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:21:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A new bitcoin image (UNDER REVISION thanks to some feedback)  (Read 2530 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 08:18:53 AM

This is no logo, it's a coin to be used by people who want a pretty bitcoin image to use when trying to spread the message on their website or wherever.

So, now it isn't a logo...

One little piece of advice that i see you are in desperate need of:
When you start a thread saying "I have this logo here, what do you guys think?" and everyone tells you it's bad, don't try to turn it on the opposite direction and deal bad with criticism, because, after all, you asked for it. The only thing you are gaining is getting out of this thread sounding a major "know it all" a-hole.

I wouldn't hire you as a designer, that's for sure. Or else you would end up giving me the most shitiest design ever and try to convince me it was the greatest design ever.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Count Bitcoin (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:23:51 AM

Nice judgement.  It really way a typo, had my friend post it while I was running out.  Don't need you to believe the truth for it to be the truth.

Maybe some background for the haters.  I have only bought bitcoins on ebay, because of all the fraud and hacking of the official trading exchanges.  So I've been exposed to lots of bitcoin images as I have researched over the last month or so.  I didn't really think there was an "official" logo for bitcoin, because everyone on the net uses different images to represent it.

Thus, this image was another version.  I didn't realize the word logo was so offensive/sacred to the geeks.  That was most definitely my mistake, but I am not a geek like you guys, so I don't know your sacred terms versus the one's you just brush off as unimportant.

Some people will like the design and use it, you apparently won't.  I don't mind in either case because I am contributing to the creation and expansion of an idea, not telling someone they are a liar to boost my ego.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:37:42 AM

You, as a designer, should know better than anyone else what a logo is and what it's used for...  Roll Eyes
Count Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:45:18 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2011, 12:07:25 PM by Count Bitcoin

What makes you think I'm the one who does that part?  I convinced the designer to put that image together to try and help the movement.  I have been explaining the advantages of a non centralized currency to people who don't understand.  I am of the opinion (as my background is heavily influenced by markets) that this BTC will be the currency of the net.

So that's why I just told my friend to title the thread "the new bitcoin logo" as I left my place.  I didn't really know that the word was so volatile!!! Angry Angry Angry

But anyway, it did give me a peek into the style of judgement that exists here in virtual land.  I had no clue there was this groupthink/cynicism dynamic happening, but will definitely keep it in mind when posting.  My main geek friend is a reasonable, well mannered, polite person, so I guess I'm kinda spoiled.
Count Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 11:50:43 AM
Last edit: August 17, 2011, 12:10:36 PM by Count Bitcoin

And doesn't a logo imply someone owns the product?  Who owns this protocol exactly?  In this sense, why is the word logo not interchangeable with image, or sample, or style, etc?  I understand the concept of a logo, but that applies to companies or organizations, not something like this no?  Who owns this "company"?

And yes, we understand that this image is not able to be reduced too small, but that was never its purpose.  Logos need to be reproduced in black and white and all sizes, but who cares?  I've already cleared this up in a such a dumbed down way I feel like the internet has now made me dumber.

This means of communication is horribly limited because of the tendency to key in on and obsess over technicalities and a sort of "gotcha" environment.

Is there a central decision tree where everything branches out from?  If so, that would make me less likely to support the movement, as I was under the impression this was open source.

So officially, I agree it is not a logo.  It is not.  That's why I corrected the title of the thread.  Please stop hanging on to the past and move on to the new reality.  If you can't adapt that quickly without holding a grudge, we can't communicate.  I'm not into this point by point refutation and circular internet arguing, no life is long enough for that to be worth doing.
Count Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:19:57 PM

i suggest the "locks" being rotated to point to the center could suit better to the coin. And of course a standard-image shouldn't be rotated already.
Why that structure on the surface? To me it seems a bit unsettled. Also that's making it less a logo. Try to make a clear version for those needs in vector-format.

just my 2 BTC-cent Wink

I also would be intrested in what made you unsatisfied with the other "logos" used in the web.. just to follow your thoughts.

Easily the most reasoned response that I read.  Thanks.  I just thought the other versions of the coin I saw looked ugly.  I have a good read on the general public and trends, and I didn't see the images out there as mass market appealing.  Rotating the locks is possible, since those floppies were the first thing on the likely to be changed list in my mind.  I kinda like the feel the coin has of being half real half virtual looking.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Tenobis

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:14:45 PM

Thanks for the Contribution Smiley
BCCAP - Paul

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 05:10:06 AM

That first one reminds me of a cash for gold symbol

It looks to me like it would make a great golf marker.
Maybe you could charge BTC .5 for them  Kiss
rooofl

Activity: 16

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 02:14:29 PM

I definitively prefer this one
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: