Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:58:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: first time transaction on Bitmarket.eu -> money gone?  (Read 1442 times)
daarsaars (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 02:24:07 PM

Hi there,

Recently I've done several transactions through wires in EUR to recieve an amount of BTC, which was succesfull. I thought I got the whole idea, but apparently something went wrong in the process. I checked my 'funds' section and the requested amount of BTC was finally there, so no worries. Right next to that was my BTC adress for withdrawls, which is the same as listed in my BTC wallet (I just use the basic BTC beta software). I used the button "Send money" right below where my BTC-amount was shown, and thought it would go the adress (my adress for withdrawls) as said, shown right next to the amount.

Moments later the transaction (send money to my BTC for withdrawl) was confirmed (it says Type: Out, Confirmed: Yes). If I check my BTC software, the money is not there (balance at 0.0). I thought the BTC were going to show up here. If I go back to my bitmarket.eu account the transaction is still there. But even there, my balance remains at 0.0.

So my question is obviously: where has my money gone to? It says: Type: Out. => Out where?  Huh   

And how to retrieve it, and finally use it to buy an item I wanted to purchase with that amount of BTC.

Many thanks for helping me out!!  Smiley...

Greetings
D

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 02:40:17 PM

What is your bitcoin address? You use blockexplorer to check where the money went. It can take a while to confirm the transaction.
daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 03:42:43 PM

What is your bitcoin address? You use blockexplorer to check where the money went. It can take a while to confirm the transaction.

Well, ....I used blockexplorer just now.

At output it says two times "Not yet redeemed", so I'm guessing it has still not been 'wired' (even though the transaction was done 4hrs ago). Is this normal?

Anyway, the Output section clearly mentions two amount (I think one of two is the tip I sent, since the other is clearly the correct amount. And, the "To address" also seems to be correct.

Should I wait a little longer still, or is there anything I can do?

I can give the adress if you're still not sure.

Thanks!
D

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 09:43:11 PM

How many connections do you have, and how many blocks does your client have?

daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 09:12:43 AM

How many connections do you have, and how many blocks does your client have?
hmm, I think you pointed out the problem there. My client has 0 connections, but this software doesn't show an option to technically configure to something (only pre-mentioned gate or proxy, but that doesn't do the trick. For what I understand so far, my money is not gone but I'm just not connected to it? Smiley also, what are these blocks? Thanks for all the help...I think I'm almost there.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 09:29:28 AM

also, what are these blocks?

If you have no idea what blocks are I think you shouldn't be messing with Bitcoin and much less with exchanges.

Go read the wiki first, and deal with Bitcoin later.

https://bitcoin.it
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 09:36:12 AM

If you have no idea what blocks are I think you shouldn't be messing with Bitcoin and much less with exchanges.

I really hope this is not Bitcoin's future. I use euros and I have no idea how paper is impressed. Why does he have to know what is a block to use bitcoins?

daarsaars, your client is not connected to the network. Are you sure you are not behind any proxy or something? You can try to reinstall the client, but backup your wallet.dat file first. Otherwise your money will be lost forever.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 10:12:01 AM

I really hope this is not Bitcoin's future. I use euros and I have no idea how paper is impressed. Why does he have to know what is a block to use bitcoins?

daarsaars, your client is not connected to the network. Are you sure you are not behind any proxy or something? You can try to reinstall the client, but backup your wallet.dat file first. Otherwise your money will be lost forever.

Because unfortunatelly Bitcoin is not newbie friendly, unlike paper money Wink

What are you going to say next, that people with no sense of security or lack of knowledge about technology should use homebanking systems?
We all now how that turns out when it happens... Trojans installed, thousands of euros stolen.
daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:17:48 PM

tx nmat, I found the file and made a back up. I didn't know it could turn out that way ;-). I'm reinstalling the client right now. Any suggestions for good software are welcome. Perhaps I'm not using a right version / .... Also, in terms of configuration needed...doesn't this install immediately and automatically?

ALSO, ...my Firewall is on (it's a close as I can get to "do you have a proxy server?"). I don't believe I have to turn it off right? I mean, there would be no future to BTC if we have to pass this way ;-))...
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:24:30 PM

Allow bitcoin through the firewall?
daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 02:52:11 PM

Ok, re-installing bitcoin client didn't do the trick  Sad.

Anyone?

I don't think turning off the firewall is the way the go, right?

tx!! Wink
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 03:06:05 PM

Ok, re-installing bitcoin client didn't do the trick  Sad.

Anyone?

I don't think turning off the firewall is the way the go, right?

tx!! Wink

What about opening the ports used by bitcoin in the firewall?

Hard to tell you what to do when you are vague in your request for help.
OS, Firewall, UPnP on or off, etc.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 03:44:56 PM

You're using version 0.3.24, right? This is simply not supposed to happen anymore, so I'm almost at a loss. Try adding some fallback nodes using the -addnode command line option.

daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:13:55 PM

OK...! Ports opened :-). Got myself connections (varying a lot though)...

But still...my balance is not showing my amount of BTC which I sent to my adress for withdrawls.

How do you update this? If needed at all...

Remember that I got wallet.dat backed up, but I'll only stop worrying as soon as I see the number arriving....

Some last help?

Thanks!!!

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:20:59 PM

OK...! Ports opened :-). Got myself connections (varying a lot though)...

But still...my balance is not showing my amount of BTC which I sent to my adress for withdrawls.

How do you update this? If needed at all...

Remember that I got wallet.dat backed up, but I'll only stop worrying as soon as I see the number arriving....

Some last help?

Thanks!!!

Wait for all the blocks to download, including the one's that confirm your transaction, maybe?

Currently at block 141353, check it on the lower side of your bitcoin client, between the number of connections and the number of transactions.

If after all blocks get downloaded you still don't see your money, you can try to run the client with the -rescan flag.
daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:38:46 PM

I noticed my BTC for withdrawls is changed after opening ports and / or re-installing client, so I guess I can just change this in the client without severe consequences?

Anyway, are you allowed to use as many as you want? (I don't see a valid reasons why, but..)

My transaction is at block 141191, destination : previous BTC address...So trying adjustments here now, unless I can't  Roll Eyes

Smiley
daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:48:26 PM

Ok, I'm clueless...

Blockexplorer says my money has not yet been redeemed.

But, my address is changing every time I try to give in the first address I've gotten to receive these bitcoins. So I'm thinking if I can put in this adress somewhere in my client and wait for the correct number of blocks to download, the money should arrive.

Only, you can only adjust the label apparently, the new address is always given. So where to put in the original digits to redeem?

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:56:10 PM

"Not yet redeemed" means you haven't used them yet. Try clicking on Address Book, and go to Recieving Addresses. The Bitcoin client generates a new address everytime all your old ones are no longer clean.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:56:50 PM

Ok, I'm clueless...

Blockexplorer says my money has not yet been redeemed.

But, my address is changing every time I try to give in the first address I've gotten to receive these bitcoins. So I'm thinking if I can put in this adress somewhere in my client and wait for the correct number of blocks to download, the money should arrive.

Only, you can only adjust the label apparently, the new address is always given. So where to put in the original digits to redeem?

You are trying to put the address? It's the other way around, dude. The bitcoin client gives you the addresses, not you lol Check if the address you gave to bitmarket.eu is in your address book.

Now: Really, really, go read the wiki. You are saying stuff that doesn't make much sense. This is the newbies board et al, i know, but you should try to help yourself before asking others to help you.

It doesn't help people who want to help you when you don't have a clue of what you are doing.

Read this also: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <-- Some mod should sticky this Wink
daarsaars (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:23:22 PM

Ok here's the thing, I read the Wiki the first time...and now more thoroughly. But it still won't resolve my problem. I'm Belgian (Dutch), so perhaps what I say might confuse a bit, but I'll try again. Anyway, the wiki goes sometimes higly into detail and I don't have a good "algorythm"  either Cool

The way how I see it is that I started - like anyone else - by downloading and installing the client. Hence, I also got my first BTC address (my key), say it was called *****A. Meanwhile, without realizing my client wasn't properly configured yet, I started exchanging on bitmarket.eu, which was succesfully done. I got a certain amount of BTC. My account on bitmarket has two addresses: one for depositing (*****X) and one for withdrawls, which I set up to be *****A as well, since I wanted to eventually redeem the money in my wallet (client). After receiving my amount of BTC on the exchange, I sent it to *****A, and it was confirmed.

Then, by manually reconfiguring my port to connect to the BTC network, and by re-installing the wallet software I somehow lost my orgingal BTC address called *****A in the wallet (however, I can still see it of course on the bitmarket.eu exhange, since I put it there after receiving it from my previous wallet).

The real question should be, how can I integrate the original *****A address I got from the first wallet, in a new wallet (which now has ****B, *****C, *****D) after trying). I know the wallet only generates new keys / addresses by request and that you can't put one in...but if I could put in *****A in the receive section, and wait for the blocks to be downloaded, it should show my money right?

Psy, the address from bitmarket is nowhere shown in my wallet, but I cannot see how this could do the trick if you can only manually add an adress such as *****A in the 'send' section. The receive section are a list of addresses generated by the client.

In other words, if I'm the only guy that knows what *****A is, and it's still not shown in my wallet, since you cannot input in anymore...is then gone? Stolen? What?

The problem is that my transaction hasn't been downloaded yet, and it's waiting there. After I re-installed the wallet software or re-config my port to get access to the network, the *****A wasn't shown in my wallet. It started with *****B (and then I created *****C, *****D). It's like ****A doesn't exist anymore, only in my exchange, and in my head) Etc.

What to do in that case?

As soon as help proves, I'm willing to wire a tip ;-)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: