Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:25:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the FACTS with the China transactions ban?  (Read 2825 times)
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:13:50 AM

All I see is that China banned third party payment processors. Chinese can still buy and sell bitcoin from the exchange using a bank only and ID needs to be provided. This is supposed to kill bitcoin in China?

Read the coindesk articles posted by Pera m8.

If any of it rings true, its much worse than that.

Oh the sky is falling! The sky is falling! Get a hold of yourself.

A few weeks ago China's government labeled Bitcoin a commodity like Gold and Silver. Well guess WHAT?  In China you can not use a 3rd party processor to invest money into gold and silver. You can only do it through banks.

So what happened yesterday should have been fully expected. Bitcoin is being treated like an investment commodity.
traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:46:28 AM

All I see is that China banned third party payment processors. Chinese can still buy and sell bitcoin from the exchange using a bank only and ID needs to be provided. This is supposed to kill bitcoin in China?

A few weeks ago China's government labeled Bitcoin a commodity like Gold and Silver. Well guess WHAT?  In China you can not use a 3rd party processor to invest money into gold and silver. You can only do it through banks.

So what happened yesterday should have been fully expected. Bitcoin is being treated like an investment commodity.

The truth is, nobody knows for sure.  I heard precisely the same sort of arguments made last week when everyone thought they had wrapped their mind around the new Chinese regulations.  The truth is, these regulators can do whatever they please at any time and yank the price around, with no accountability to the public.  I believe this one of the many reasons the Chinese investors will (generally), just cut bait and take whatever profits/losses they can, while they can.  It may not be a coincidence that BTC China ended free trading.  They'd like to gather some coin before closing up shop.  In any event, the Bitcoin rocket will have to find propulsion from a country other than China now.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:50:10 AM

PBOC outright banning all banks from processing any transactions onto Bitcoin exchanges by the end of January 2014.

This one is scary, but not true. For this to happen, there would have to be an official statement; and there is none, and bank transactions work fine.

Those who know what is going on is taken advantage of this confusion to increase their btc holdings before everyone else gets a clue.
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:59:28 AM

A few weeks ago China's government labeled Bitcoin a commodity like Gold and Silver. Well guess WHAT?  In China you can not use a 3rd party processor to invest money into gold and silver. You can only do it through banks.

The truth is, nobody knows for sure.  I heard precisely the same sort of arguments made last week when everyone thought they had wrapped their mind around the new Chinese regulations.  The truth is, these regulators can do whatever they please at any time and yank the price around, with no accountability to the public.  I believe this one of the many reasons the Chinese investors will (generally), just cut bait and take whatever profits/losses they can, while they can.  It may not be a coincidence that BTC China ended free trading.  They'd like to gather some coin before closing up shop.  In any event, the Bitcoin rocket will have to find propulsion from a country other than China now.

I only got to see windjc's 'denialist' post cos you quoted from it. Windjc is one of the many pillocks added to my ignore list quite some time ago.

I concur however with what you say. I too believed the measures taken by the Chinese government were fairly innocuous but the market action and further 'rumours' are suggesting otherwise. I am glad I started this thread and I am pleased with some of the info I got, particularly the links I got from Pera. Everything seems much more precarious now than it did just 24 hours ago, in that it looks like the Chinese do indeed intend to abolish open trading of Bitcoin in their country.

With Bitcoin, nobody can afford to be resting on any laurels or allow themselves to grow complacent. Everyone must be ready to expect that anything can and will happen.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
xephireusMMX

Activity: 306
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:16:31 AM

It makes most sence, unless different announcement is made

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
enric

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:17:30 AM

So, the question with payment processors is related to the only one statement published by China central Bank:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1s5hzl/my_human_translation_of_the_china_regulation/
Not more statements published for the moment...

And in this same statement, this central bank, wrote some questions  about trading and regulating exchanges, with telecommunitions regulation
authorities. Why they would be interested in regulatory issues, if they will going to ban all diposit options??

here some quotes:

3 Strengthening regulation of Bitcoin websites
According to the Telecommunications Act and the Regulation on Internet Information Service, websites that provide Bitcoin services like registration, trading etc should register with the telecommunications regulation authorities.
The telecommunications regulation authorities, following the determinations and punishment opinions of the relevant management authorities, should close down illegal Bitcoin sites according to law.

4 Prevent possible Bitcoin money laundering risk
Branches of the People's Bank should closely monitor the trends and activities Bitcoin and other similar virtual commodities with the characteristics of anonymity and easy cross-border access, seriously consider its money laundering risk, research and implement targeted preventative measures. The branches should include lawfully established organizations that provide Bitcoin registration or exchange services in its area into its anti-money laundering monitoring, and supervise them to strengthen their anti-money laundering monitoring.
Bitcoin websites should earnestly carry out their anti-money laundering duty, confirm the identities of their users, have them register using their real names, and register their name and ID card number. If financial institutions, payment institutions or Bitcoin websites discover suspicious transactions involving Bitcoin or other virtual commodities, they should immediately report it to the China Anti-Money Laundering Monitoring and Analysis Center, and cooperate with the People's Bank's investigation; if they find evidence of fraud, gambling, money laundering using Bitcoins, they should report it to the police.

“But, the general public have the freedom to participate in Bitcoin trading as a commodity trading on the internet on the condition they carry their own risk”

“The Notice requires, that Bitcoin websites that act as the main trading platform, should follow the Telecommunications Act and the Regulation on Internet Information Service, and register according to law. Also, because Bitcoin has a higher risk of money laundering and being used by criminals, the Notice requires the relevant organizations to follow the requirements of the Anti-Money Laundering Act and fully comply with the legally required anti-money laundering procedures like KYC and suspicious transaction reporting, to prevent Bitcoin related money laundering risks”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing has been officially published that make sense, about banning exchanges instead of regulate them
AlbertKing

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 05:04:15 AM

banks are banned.
You cant deposit to BtcChina & OkCoin through banks now.

I have been scouring over the internet trying to get hard facts on the PBOC's ban on Bitcoin transactions.

So far the story ranges from only third party payment processors are forbidden from doing transactions with Bitcoin exchanges (as plenty money changers in the West don't allow transactions onto Bitcoin exchanges), to the PBOC outright banning all banks from processing any transactions onto Bitcoin exchanges by the end of January 2014.

One set of circumstances means Bitcoin will live on in China, the other means the practical death of Bitcoin in China.

WTF is going on over there?
traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 05:25:06 AM

This could be a bunch of BS, but this isn't looking good.  I remember the other Chinese rumors started just like this .. "no way, no way" .. "well it's bad but it's not that bad" .. "ok, this is going to hurt".

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375376.0;all
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 02:35:14 PM

Hey windjc!?

What was this?

WHAT WAS THIS???

Go on then,

Tell us how much ya lost ya chump?

Or did you play the markets like a boss,  buying in at $380 no doubt, and selling 10 minutes ago at $580?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Satyre_Noir

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 02:36:49 PM

Communist party killed bitcoin in china is more then obvious now, on other hand we can increase our positions cheaply, there will be no such opportunity for long time.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 02:40:11 PM

banks are banned.
You cant deposit to BtcChina & OkCoin through banks now.

Those two statements are not synonymous. I don't think we know for a fact that banks have been banned, since we haven't seen any official statement to that effect. I do think we have to count with that possibility, both right now and in the future.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: