Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:20:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If it worth buying a mining rig?  (Read 1001 times)
datguys (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:18:38 PM

Well, I'm making a basic mining rig, 600mhz which is up gradable when I get more money. Is buying/making a mining rig worth it? I will be able to get it up to 2ghz in a few months.
Kasandra

Activity: 68

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:22:25 PM

Depends on electricity costs and if Bitcoin will continue to go down or not.

Lisk.io - Dapp & Sidechain Platform
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3274

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:27:24 PM

The short answer is bitcoin - no, altcoins - maybe.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
datguys (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:38:06 PM

what's best to mine sha or scrypt?
Hypetic

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:45:09 PM

Unless you've invested a lot in to an ASIC-chips, it will be way more profitable to mine Scrypt based coins.

As to answer your original question, it depends a lot on what kind of computer you have.
Cryptofibe

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:56:49 PM

Well, I'm making a basic mining rig, 600mhz which is up gradable when I get more money. Is buying/making a mining rig worth it? I will be able to get it up to 2ghz in a few months.

I would suggest that you look into Alt Coins. I was confused by the metric that you are using (mhz and ghz), did you intend to describe that you are making a rig that will have 600 MH/s of capacity? If you do some research online, you will find that there are many web sites that can give you some earning calculations for Alt Coins. I recently began mining Alt/Scrypt coin and had to build several mining rigs, I find that the difficulty levels even there are rapidly rising.

Therefore, to address your initial question. I would say that buying or building a mining rig can definitely be worth it as long as you clearly understand all of metrics and details that comes with the territory of mining coins. This would include as another poster mentioned : Electricity Cost, but could extend to trading, choosing the right coin(s), etc..

Good Luck!
ajax3592

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:05:10 PM

Anything less than a Th/s is not going to get you the ROI to mine bitcoins IMO.
You can try mining some altcoins with this rig of yours though.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
datguys (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 08:45:15 PM

I would suggest that you look into Alt Coins. I was confused by the metric that you are using (mhz and ghz), did you intend to describe that you are making a rig that will have 600 MH/s of capacity? If you do some research online, you will find that there are many web sites that can give you some earning calculations for Alt Coins. I recently began mining Alt/Scrypt coin and had to build several mining rigs, I find that the difficulty levels even there are rapidly rising.

Therefore, to address your initial question. I would say that buying or building a mining rig can definitely be worth it as long as you clearly understand all of metrics and details that comes with the territory of mining coins. This would include as another poster mentioned : Electricity Cost, but could extend to trading, choosing the right coin(s), etc..

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info bud.

I will be using a rasberry pi with 2 usb block erupters, they only mine sha cryptos, so won't be able to mine scrypt.
gleydson

Activity: 64

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:26:18 PM

Is There any where that are selling custom build mining rigs for LTC or similar??

Has anyone heard of crypto industries?

Redbarron1992

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:32:15 PM

Try looking on E-bay, there is a lot out there because the market is growing and growing
Hypetic

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 11:31:19 AM

That's a good idea
jenveno

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 08:34:56 PM

Seems worth it. Grab a board, some pcie risers, some cards and put it all together, they sell on ebay for way more than the cost of the hardware. Tempted to build them and sell them...

Nice for mining altcoins which could be exchanged for BTC.

A I R W A L L E T │    The Gold Standard of Airdrops  
 ►   WHITEPAPER   ◄
[        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        LinkedIn        ANN THREAD        TELEGRAM        INSTAGRAM        ]

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:53:10 PM

what's best to mine sha or scrypt?

Just input your hashrate and wattage and find the most profitable coin to mine.
Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 09:57:24 PM

Depends on your rig as to whether to do scrypt or SHA.  Usually now it's scrypt if you can get comparable hashes to if you were mining SHA (divided by 1k).  Take a look at the multipool middlecoin pools if you're purely interested in short term profit.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄