Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:58:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit Failsafe-data folder. Is this part of a hack?  (Read 894 times)
jbssm (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:21:24 PM

Hi,
my account got hacked 2 days ago and the hacker took more than 4 BTC from me.
I know for some of you it's a very low amount, but believe me, for me it was quite a hit.  Embarrassed

Anyway, while trying my best to make sure my computer is protected now, I noticed a Multibit Failsafe-data folder in my Documents folder. Until now I always thought the hack had something to do with my Dropbox account and not with my laptop, but after seeing this I'm very suspicious.

The date of creation is from the day of the hack, about the time I changed my wallet password. I'm sure I didn't create that folder myself, nor did I ask Multibit to create it.

So - this might seem a bit paranoid, but - is this folder supposed to be there and it's something Multbit does automatically, or can this be related to some backdoor left behind by the hacker?

Donations to the helping fund for victims of alien abduction and zombie contagion are welcome: 13U16ay4Tyvr9ZkQ3wqtReuZGaPE27wt4e
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 04:58:13 PM

4 BTC is quite a lot of money in anybody's book.

If a wallet was created called "Failsafe" in your Documents folder then it would also have a data directory (where the backups are stored) called "Failsafe-data" in the same directory.

If you did not create a wallet called "Failsafe" then it sounds suspicious.

Almost certainly now there is malware to harvest Bitcoin wallets (of all persuasions) though I don't think anyone has identified a specific payload from a particular route of infection.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: