Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 07:25:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I need my wallet DAT file if I know my password  (Read 596 times)
HairyMaclairy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174

Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:38:29 PM

Please explain it to me like I am 5. 

I know my password (Bitcoin QT) and address.  So what does my wallet DAT contain that cannot be derived from those two pieces of information? 

Is it because my private key is not related to my password? The password just allows access to the wallet DAT file which contains the private key? 

And if that is correct then a hacker could still know my password but not be able to spend my coins without also having access to the wallet DAT file.   Is that right ?
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 09:40:52 PM

The Bitcoin-Qt encryption password is to unencrypt the wallet.dat; it is not a deterministic password to extract your wallet addresses directly.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:41:55 PM

So what does my wallet DAT contain that cannot be derived from those two pieces of information? 

Your private key

Is it because my private key is not related to my password? The password just allows access to the wallet DAT file which contains the private key?  And if that is correct then a hacker could still know my password but not be able to spend my coins without also having access to the wallet DAT file.   Is that right ?

Yes and Yes.

HairyMaclairy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:49:12 PM

Thanks guys.

So a paper wallet has the private key printed on it?

Does the Bitcojn QT client have the ability to show the private key?
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 09:55:30 PM

Yes, you can show the private key on screen to cop/paste (after unlocking the wallet with your password).

In the console:

Code:
walletpassphrase "your walletpassphrase goes here" 660
dumpprivkey [your public key appears here]
walletlock

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 09:56:29 PM

Thanks guys.

So a paper wallet has the private key printed on it?

Yes, so you would need to keep it out of others' eyesight.

Yes, but extracting them is not obvious. You need to open the Debug window accessible from the Help menu and type:

Code:
walletpassphrase <passphrase, must be enclosed in quotes " " if it contains spaces> <duration to decrypt wallet, in seconds>
dumpprivkey <Bitcoin address>

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
HairyMaclairy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:37:48 PM

Nice thanks all !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: