Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:09:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning on starting an altcoin exchange, VPS or dedicated server?  (Read 967 times)
mflb94 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:50:07 PM

Okay so like the title says, I am looking to start up a new altcoin exchange but I just need to smooth out a few aspects of my business plan. For start up expenses so far, I have:

Cost of a web developer to make the site- 1-3k based on bids I've received on eLance.

Hosting- depends. First off in your (possibly expert) opinion, should I go with a VPS or dedicated server? I did some research and calculated that, on Bter.com today the total volume has been about 568.745BTC when totalling volume from all the altcoins. Basically what I am asking here is how much will I need for my server's total RAM, disc space and bandwidth. I am planning on using either High Secured or Easy Offshore Hosting, both Panama based. My hosting costs can be anywhere from $60-1k a month depending on how much bandwidth I need.

Domain- .01NMC. Because I really like this feature of Namecoin, and it is the cheapest way to register a domain. I have already registered an awesome .bit domain name.

Accounting- I can do this myself as I plan on running the site on my own. Although I will have to cough up $600-1k for professional tax software.

Advertising- I believe I could get good traffic to my site by announcing its release on these forums, other forums, reddit, twitter (through my connections with the altcoin speculators there). It is possible I may need to pay for some advertising but I would like to keep it to a minimum.

Am I missing anything else? If you know of any expenses I am overlooking I would greatly appreciate input.
DoubleMyCoins!

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:17:15 PM

Whichever one you use make sure you keep only limited funds stored on the server and refill hot wallets as needed.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:21:00 PM

Cost of a web developer to make the site- 1-3k based on bids I've received on eLance.

That's an order of magnitude too low - I wouldn't trust something this complex put together for that price.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 10:37:17 PM

Dedicated servers.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:06:41 PM

That's an order of magnitude too low - I wouldn't trust something this complex put together for that price.

Agreed. Sounds too cheap in my opinion.

more or less retired.
other_side

Activity: 285
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:11:41 PM

It is only front end. To build the engine will cost about 50K.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: