Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:25:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved!] How can I extract private keys from a compromised wallet.dat?  (Read 2255 times)
kodan50 (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 04:53:21 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 07:37:08 PM by kodan50

I'm not sure how this happens, but the wallet.dat file will not load in any version of Bitcoin-Qt. It just comes up corrupt. I tried to run PyWallet on it to recover it, but it just exists and doesn't spit any output out. (I am familiar with how to use it, as I used to to extract keys from a good wallet. Of course, suggestions are welcome regardless!) The wallet didn't have much in it, but I'd still like to have them accounted for. The sad thing is, I backed up this specific wallet both when I first created it, and when I had to reload my computer. The original one just .. vanished. I have no Earthly idea how that just happens, but the only copy I have. Is it possible to extract the keys using a hex editor? It was created using BitCoin-Qt 0.8.1 and I think I upgraded the client to 0.8.5, but I don't remember now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Voogru

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 06:33:52 AM

I'm not sure how this happens, but the wallet.dat file will not load in any version of Bitcoin-Qt. It just comes up corrupt. I tried to run PyWallet on it to recover it, but it just exists and doesn't spit any output out. (I am familiar with how to use it, as I used to to extract keys from a good wallet. Of course, suggestions are welcome regardless!) The wallet didn't have much in it, but I'd still like to have them accounted for. The sad thing is, I backed up this specific wallet both when I first created it, and when I had to reload my computer. The original one just .. vanished. I have no Earthly idea how that just happens, but the only copy I have. Is it possible to extract the keys using a hex editor? It was created using BitCoin-Qt 0.8.1 and I think I upgraded the client to 0.8.5, but I don't remember now.

Load up the file in a hex editor, if it's a bunch of zeros or you see random identifiable strings that have nothing to do with bitcoin, the file is probably corrupt.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 06:42:51 AM

What if the wallet is locked with a password? Would it still not look like gibberish?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:32:45 AM

And people keep telling me bitcoin-qt wallet never gets corrupted and is so easy to use. Sigh.

Issues like this might very well be due to harddrive-problems. There's not much you can do against that.
kodan50 (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:16:12 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 08:26:23 AM by kodan50

I appreciate the responses!

I opened both the compromised and a working wallet in a hex editor. It looks like most of the data in the wallet is intact. I was sifting through the wallet and noticed a bunch of strings called Key, is this where the keys are? (It may seem like a silly question, but I don't want to just assume.) I tried to copy the hexadecimal values and import them as keys in both Bitcoin-Qt and Electrum, but neither saw them as valid keys. Are they compressed and need to be uncompressed before they can be used? Where do they start and where do they end? I extracted keys from working wallets to see if I can see a pattern, but the extracted keys aren't in hexadecimal, so they don't match. I thought I'd create a new wallet.dat and try to copy and paste the data between keys strings, but that didn't work, and somehow still shows the stock wallet's original receiving address. I feel like they are here, just waiting to be pulled out.

*Update

I might have posted a little too soon. I did some more copy pasting of the wallet and I think I found the private key. Waiting to test it, I just have to wait on Bitcoin-Qt...
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:03:24 AM

What if the wallet is locked with a password? Would it still not look like gibberish?

Of course - that's what passwords are for Smiley
tiktoc

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:03:14 PM

Have a look at jackjacks python wallet stuff. might be of help.
kodan50 (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:36:49 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. I've actually tried jackjack's PyWallet fork, along with a few other ones, and none of them would open the wallet. they didn't even output anything.

I was successful in copying hex data from the compromised wallet and pasting it into a working stock wallet and I now have access to the Bitcoins that were inside of it. Thank you everyone for your replies!
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:44:29 AM

Thank you for your suggestion. I've actually tried jackjack's PyWallet fork, along with a few other ones, and none of them would open the wallet. they didn't even output anything.

I was successful in copying hex data from the compromised wallet and pasting it into a working stock wallet and I now have access to the Bitcoins that were inside of it. Thank you everyone for your replies!

wow - that's brilliant - well done!!
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:40:59 PM

Can you spend that money or are those imported addresses readonly?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: