Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:28:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC price falls and Difficulty increases  (Read 4380 times)
derekleong75 (OP)

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 06:19:06 AM

It's going to be very hard to keep mining devices online as they won't even be able to pay for themselves in energy costs.
Only the ones who are true to the intangible value of bitcoin will stay the day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PolkRB

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 06:25:22 AM

I hope ASIC device makers drop the prices as well.
JKBtCn

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 06:27:49 AM

This is true if the price keeps falling. BTC could very well rebound to well beyond what it's valued today. As China pulls out, the US (and its Wall Street) and a number of other countries take its place (and China is only in movement towards further regulation now). Was it truly a bubble or will optimism prevail. Only time will tell.  Huh

NXT-XFAH-7N9C-6AS6-B3GLZ                BTC: 1MMzqYNNqQMMhY524Z9ThuQrRQW2whCmGk
NHZ: 8709719431783299770                 QORA | 2ND GEN | NEW SOURCE CODE | Qi24ssRqmEo3Wepv9pgdmqNuTDKQByiEfd
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:18:15 AM

It's going to be very hard to keep mining devices online as they won't even be able to pay for themselves in energy costs.
Only the ones who are true to the intangible value of bitcoin will stay the day.

Its a very complicated equation. Energy costs, network hash rate, and btc/$ rate.

But sure, if the bitcoin price crashes, all miners are in deep doo-doo until a new equilibrium is reached
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:24:16 AM

If the price crashes too far, everyone will turn off their stuff and the diff will go way down for the few of us still mining out of principle. That might actually be nice, if only briefly.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:25:28 AM

If the price crashes too far, everyone will turn off their stuff and the diff will go way down for the few of us still mining out of principle. That might actually be nice, if only briefly.

That's what I meant by a new equilibrium Smiley
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:39:54 AM

So we can buy a pizza with 10k BTC again Tongue
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:41:05 AM

So we can buy a pizza with 10k BTC again Tongue

lol. Probably 12"
goggles1200

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:02:17 PM

Everyone under the sun is liquidating their BFL rigs. I stupidly held onto it a couple days too long and are fighting everyone else to get rid of it only to get some better.
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:21:49 PM

Everyone under the sun is liquidating their BFL rigs. I stupidly held onto it a couple days too long and are fighting everyone else to get rid of it only to get some better.

My catch on fire every couple of days so I leave them next to the fireplace - saves having to chop firewood.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:20:48 AM

Do they sell liquidisers that big?
Anddos

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:43:12 AM

You only just realised this?

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:23:53 AM

We're many months away from worrying about energy costs being too high to make ASIC mining unprofitable as long BTC prices don't fall below the pre-bubble price.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 12:06:26 PM

We're many months away from worrying about energy costs being too high to make ASIC mining unprofitable as long BTC prices don't fall below the pre-bubble price.

I keep saying that but everyone waffles on about their killer advantage being "free electricity" compared with bigger miners. Not sure many people can add up, let alone multiply.
bitterdog

Activity: 728
Merit: 503

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 12:19:55 PM

Some of these devices being made/planned you wont even need to worry about, because the average household electrical system will not be able to handle the power required without having to replace the whole house do to electrical fire.

▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄████████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀███████████████
██████████▄   ▀█████████████
████████████▄   ▀███████████
██████████████▄   ▀█████████
█████████████▀   ▄██████████
███████████▀   ▄████████████
██████████▄  ▄██████████████
███████████████████████████
 ▀████████████████████████▀
    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀

⬢⬢

⬢⬢

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄██████████▀▀▀█▀█▄
██ ▀█████▀     ▀██
██▌   ▀▀▀      ███
███▄           ███
████▀         ████
▀████▄     ▄▄████▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  ▐███
██████▀▀  ▄   ████
███▀   ▄█▀   ▐████
████▄▄█▀     █████
▀█████▌ ▄▄▄ ▐████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄████████▄▄
▄███████▀   ▐████▄
████████  ▄███████
██████      ██████
████████  ████████
████████  ████████
▀███████  ███████▀
   ▀▀████████▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████

▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄██▀█▀███▄▄
▄███▀▀▀ ▀ ▀▀█████▄
██████ ████▄ █████
██████ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████
██████ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████
██████ ████▀ █████
▀███▄▄▄ ▄ ▄▄█████▀
   ▀▀██▄█▄███▀▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██████████████████
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:47:21 AM

Some of these devices being made/planned you wont even need to worry about, because the average household electrical system will not be able to handle the power required without having to replace the whole house do to electrical fire.

True. Hopefully there won't be too many "basement miners" blowing up their parents electrical systems  Wink
jermwerty

Activity: 472

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:58:55 AM

False.

Just look at deepbit.  Only getwork, no stratum.  They were  3-4TH max back in the day, and 1.2TH now.  Pretty much a dead pool but people are still on there with GPUs I guess mining at a loss???  I don't think we will see any negative sustained growth for quite a while, if ever.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:02:34 AM

False.

Just look at deepbit.  Only getwork, no stratum.  They were  3-4TH max back in the day, and 1.2TH now.  Pretty much a dead pool but people are still on there with GPUs I guess mining at a loss???  I don't think we will see any negative sustained growth for quite a while, if ever.

Like people say, if you get "free" electricity i.e. steal it from your parents or boss, you can't really mine at a loss, not until your graphics card blows up anyway, and then you do just stop. I don't think many people mine out of principle, just some are still getting "something for nothing"
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:17:13 PM

Well technically is the card is depreciating faster than the earnings the net would be negative.  Of course with Litecoin blowing up all the cards went into hyperinflation.
PolkRB

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 12:06:15 AM

If price was not an issue, what's the fastest card to mine LTC?

Is this card good or there are better?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G2OTRMA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=W3H8C9N0K4LP&coliid=I3NZZFXMZN2O2K
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: