Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:32:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I write a gentle introduction to transaction scripts  (Read 2327 times)
malefice (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 07:27:10 AM

I write gentle introduction to transaction scripts, while learning them for myself.
I think this is overdue for the average developer.
Please give feedback (google docs comments) on mistakes and improvements you find useful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:19:24 PM

Ok, what's up with the flood of noobs posting links in here?

If you have something to say, say it here.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
malefice (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:46:04 PM

Ok, what's up with the flood of noobs posting links in here?

If you have something to say, say it here.

Because...? Arrogance wins over arguments?
I will simply ask the moderator if my contribution is welcome or not.
extro24

Activity: 481
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:31:44 PM

I really like your introduction.  It is essential that somebody produces some tutorials on general transaction writing.

Thank you!

malefice (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:36:28 PM

I really like your introduction.  It is essential that somebody produces some tutorials on general transaction writing.

Thank you!

Thank you for your encouragement, extro24! Learning transaction scripts together is very a fine intellectual pleasure.
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:52:17 PM

That's a great intro.   Looking forward to seeing a gentle intro to multi-sig transactions.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
btc4ever

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:01:44 PM

One bit of feedback.  It wasn't immediately obvious to me that OP_EQUALVERIFY would cause PubKeyHash and PubKeyHash2 to be removed from the stack.  You stated:

OP_EQUAL and OP_VERIFY are executed.  OP_EQUAL puts TRUE on the stack if the two elements are the same. OP_VERIFY marks a transaction valid if the top stack element is true. And removes the top stack element if its TRUE, if its false it leaves it there.

So I thought this meant that OP_EQUAL would simply add TRUE to the stack when they are equal, and that OP_VERIFY would remove the top element ( TRUE ).  But this would leave PubKeyHash and PubKeyHash2 still in place.

So I reason that OP_EQUAL must also remove both input elements, and probably most operators do that when they evaluate to TRUE.  But I'm not sure that you explicitly state that anywhere.

So logically if we used OP_EQUAL and then OP_VERIFY we would have:

TRUE
PubKey
Signature

after OP_EQUAL and then

PubKey
Signature

after OP_VERIFY.

yes?

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
malefice (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:30:06 PM

One bit of feedback.  It wasn't immediately obvious to me that OP_EQUALVERIFY would cause PubKeyHash and PubKeyHash2 to be removed from the stack.  You stated:

OP_EQUAL and OP_VERIFY are executed.  OP_EQUAL puts TRUE on the stack if the two elements are the same. OP_VERIFY marks a transaction valid if the top stack element is true. And removes the top stack element if its TRUE, if its false it leaves it there.

So I thought this meant that OP_EQUAL would simply add TRUE to the stack when they are equal, and that OP_VERIFY would remove the top element ( TRUE ).  But this would leave PubKeyHash and PubKeyHash2 still in place.

So I reason that OP_EQUAL must also remove both input elements, and probably most operators do that when they evaluate to TRUE.  But I'm not sure that you explicitly state that anywhere.

So logically if we used OP_EQUAL and then OP_VERIFY we would have:

TRUE
PubKey
Signature

after OP_EQUAL and then

PubKey
Signature

after OP_VERIFY.

yes?

Yes! generally the inputs of an operation are removed from the stack, this is very CPU like: they are loaded into the CPU and removed from the data store, the result is then put on the data store. this is like processor chips work at a low level. so its the exception that true will not be shown, how could I explain this best?
btc4ever

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:51:28 PM

I think you will explain it fine if you just mention it and recall that not everyone has done stack based programming, or at least not recently.

malefice (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 11:13:04 PM

i tried it with the following phrase now:

Generally a command executed on the stack takes its parameters from the stack, and puts its result at the stack. So OP_VERIFY behaves normally if its FALSE, because it leaves the result on the stack, but it behaves abnormally when its TRUE. It removes the result TRUE from the stack to continue with the next parameters.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D_gi_7Sf9sOyAHG25cMpOO4xtLq3iJUtjRwcZXFLv1E/edit#

what do you think?
k99

Activity: 346
Merit: 255

Manfred Karrer

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 10:33:06 PM

Thanks for the great overview! Helps a lot to understand it a bit better....

https://bisq.network  |  GPG Key: 6A6B2C46
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 10:34:39 AM

I like. I mirrored it at my website: http://www.bitcoinhistory.net/ under "Technical Papers".
tlewis

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2014, 05:53:27 AM

I write gentle introduction to transaction scripts, while learning them for myself.
I think this is overdue for the average developer.
Please give feedback (google docs comments) on mistakes and improvements you find useful.

Great job malefice! Congratulations on launching the document. It looks great after your iterations. have you made progress on multi-sig? I would love to help!
extro24

Activity: 481
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 10:40:33 AM

I understand this was the old (non-standard) way of sending a message:

scriptPubKey: <message> OP_DROP <pubKey> OP_CHECKSIG
scriptsig: <sig>

What will the new way be with OP_RETURN?
Maybe

scriptPubKey:  OP_RETURN <data> OP_DROP OP_DUP OP_HASH160 <pubKeyHash> OP_EQUALVERIFY OP_CHECKSIG
scriptsig: <sig> <pubKey>

malefice (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 06:17:55 PM

I like. I mirrored it at my website: http://www.bitcoinhistory.net/ under "Technical Papers".

cool, you can always check bitcoining.it for updates.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2014, 12:38:11 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 10:26:42 PM by jtimon

I understand this was the old (non-standard) way of sending a message:

scriptPubKey: <message> OP_DROP <pubKey> OP_CHECKSIG
scriptsig: <sig>

What will the new way be with OP_RETURN?
Maybe

scriptPubKey:  OP_RETURN <data> OP_DROP OP_DUP OP_HASH160 <pubKeyHash> OP_EQUALVERIFY OP_CHECKSIG
scriptsig: <sig> <pubKey>

?  

I think it's just

OP_RETURN <data>

The funds in that output are lost.

I would say you can set an output of 0, but the transaction would be non-standard (due to the anti-dust validations) and it may take too much time until you get it into the chain.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
danneu

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 08:58:05 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2014, 09:11:13 PM by danneu

Good stuff.

The reference Bitcoin implementation obfuscates the core simplicity of transaction validation by oddly referring to scripts as "scriptPubKey" and "scriptSig" instead of "inputScript" and "outputScript".

Realizing that "owning bitcoin" just means that you can provide a stack of instructions that evaluates to true when appended to another arbitrary instruction stack is what inspired me to hack on Bitcoin in the first place.

Some feedback:

• It's worth pointing out that "true" is really just "any non-zero value" rather than a boolean literal. In other words, a script is logically valid as long as the top stack value is not 0 and as long as the evaluation isn't short-circuited by an instruction like OP_RETURN.
  • The significance of instructions like OP_RETURN and OP_VERIFY is that they short-circuit the evaluation. Otherwise, the script will evaluate in full and the final top stack value will determine the state of the stack. That's why you can append arbitrary data after OP_RETURN -- it's so that the data won't be evaluated.
malefice (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:13:40 PM

Good stuff.

The reference Bitcoin implementation obfuscates the core simplicity of transaction validation by oddly referring to scripts as "scriptPubKey" and "scriptSig" instead of "inputScript" and "outputScript".

Realizing that "owning bitcoin" just means that you can provide a stack of instructions that evaluates to true when appended to another arbitrary instruction stack is what inspired me to hack on Bitcoin in the first place.

Some feedback:

• It's worth pointing out that "true" is really just "any non-zero value" rather than a boolean literal. In other words, a script is logically valid as long as the top stack value is not 0 and as long as the evaluation isn't short-circuited by an instruction like OP_RETURN.
  • The significance of instructions like OP_RETURN and OP_VERIFY is that they short-circuit the evaluation. Otherwise, the script will evaluate in full and the final top stack value will determine the state of the stack. That's why you can append arbitrary data after OP_RETURN -- it's so that the data won't be evaluated.

Hey thanks, Ive inserted your comments as foodnotes in page 2 and 5. I would like to permalink to the comment as a citation but seems ont te be possible
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: