Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:31:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: News and new accounts  (Read 1266 times)
proudhon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 11:57:40 AM

My last thread demonstrated my point beautifully, but I just want to be absolutely clear here:  This forum (and r/bitcoin) is being trolled by a horde of new accounts posting essentially the same things and linking to the same obscure "sources".  Somebody or some group is taking advantage of the language barrier between the East and West.  It worked.

What's happened around here is similar to the SA mob in 2011, just applied to market manipulation instead of merely to troll.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 12:56:22 PM

I got that feeling too.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:15:33 PM

Most of the "china news" was spread by people with <20 posts posting a bunch of gibberish straight from google translator.

w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:37:59 PM

What's happened around here is similar to the SA mob in 2011, just applied to market manipulation instead of merely to troll.

I agree, but if you think it's bad here, you should see how bad it has gotten the past 2 days in /r/Bitcoin , which was already suffering from a drop in quality as more get-rich-quick types flooded the reddit.  But the past 2 days it's really gotten unbearable.

4096R/F5EA0017
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 02:27:21 PM

Wtf you made it much worse
That was no example

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 05:09:01 PM

Hint: Ignore all posters with the gaudy paid signatures and you at least double the SnR.

Don't disable signatures - the existence of a paid signature helps distinguish between a genuine newbie who is posting inane shit because they don't know better and someone who's intentionally posting inane shit to meet their commission requirements.
proudhon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 05:29:32 PM

That was no example

It was an example of how stupid people were being and how well everyone was playing into what was very likely an organized manipulation attempt by a handful of relatively new accounts.  They took advantage of the noobishness of most bitcoin holders by using some negative news, ramping it up to 11, and counting on translation difficulties to snowball something into a much bigger and scarier looking deal than it is.  

What I did was demonstrate how utterly idiotic people were being.  People are freaking out because other people are creating threads where they write some unsubstantiated scary things and then link to other sources they call "news" that make unsubstantiated scary things that reference "sources" claiming unsubstantiated scary things...in Chinese.

What I posted was so stupid.  Seriously, I typed some things, threw in a few Chinese language links (that had nothing to do with bitcoin), made a list, and put some words in bold.  Anyone frightened or fooled by that thread of mine...I don't even know what to say.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 05:49:47 PM

I disabled signatures to de-clutter my screen, but now you've shown me that it can be a valuable tool!
Always glad to help.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 06:11:03 PM

Hint: Ignore all posters with the gaudy paid signatures and you at least double the SnR.

Don't disable signatures - the existence of a paid signature helps distinguish between a genuine newbie who is posting inane shit because they don't know better and someone who's intentionally posting inane shit to meet their commission requirements.

Plz don't Sad

But really, what's wrong with signatures. I post here anyway (doing my best not to spam) so why not get some "beer money" for that. Also i've been posting for 5 months with no signature  Embarrassed

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:52:20 AM

That was no example

It was an example of how stupid people were being and how well everyone was playing into what was very likely an organized manipulation attempt by a handful of relatively new accounts.  They took advantage of the noobishness of most bitcoin holders by using some negative news, ramping it up to 11, and counting on translation difficulties to snowball something into a much bigger and scarier looking deal than it is.  

What I did was demonstrate how utterly idiotic people were being.  People are freaking out because other people are creating threads where they write some unsubstantiated scary things and then link to other sources they call "news" that make unsubstantiated scary things that reference "sources" claiming unsubstantiated scary things...in Chinese.

What I posted was so stupid.  Seriously, I typed some things, threw in a few Chinese language links (that had nothing to do with bitcoin), made a list, and put some words in bold.  Anyone frightened or fooled by that thread of mine...I don't even know what to say.

My BS filter may give me blinkers, but you were the only one sprouting this FUD.
I'm sure you picked up a few coins so don't claim the moral high ground. But interesting experiment

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 08:45:23 AM

Scum bag

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: