Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:50:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [LIST] Physical Location that accepts bitcoin  (Read 2114 times)
Disposition (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 11:36:59 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2011, 04:15:46 PM by Disposition

I'm compiling a list for a project of mine, the information seems to be very spread out and the wiki is not really up to date either, anyone is welcome to reply to this thread if they got something to share. thanks!

here's what I have so far.

Meze Grill - 934 8th Avenue New York NY 10019
Hudson Eatery - 601 West 57th Street New York NY 10001
O’Crepe - 147 Front Street Brooklyn NY 12001
OnlyOneTV, Home of the Bitcoin Show - 290 5th Ave New York NY 10001
Little Shop of Hardware - 3252 Keswick Rd, Baltimore, MD 21211

See http://bitnavigator.info

cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 12:19:26 AM

I'm compiling a list for a project of mine, the information seems to be very spread out and the wiki is not really up to date either, anyone is welcome to reply to this thread if they got something to share. thanks!

cheers.

The wiki page you might have been referring to is this?
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops

I liked the map interface used for this site, but with entries getting aged off, no business is going to keep returning to re-add their marker on a weekly basis.
 - http://www.bitcoinlocator.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Disposition (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 01:37:25 AM

Yeah, that's just an example.

I liked the map interface used for this site, but with entries getting aged off, no business is going to keep returning to re-add their marker on a weekly basis.
 - http://www.bitcoinlocator.com

the real problem is that most of the entries aren't even "physical" locatison, there's tons of online listing or "individual" listings for people in that area, which should've have their own category, my list is focused on physical places like restaurants, cafes, hotels and etc.
ffuentes

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 05:28:19 AM

Just hotels and restaurants?

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address
Disposition (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 05:33:24 AM

the real problem is that most of the entries aren't even "physical" locatison, there's tons of online listing or "individual" listings for people in that area, which should've have their own category, my list is focused on physical places like restaurants, cafes, hotels and etc.

pretty much anything physical that deals with bitcoin goes, except I really don't want individuals.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 05:40:07 AM

I initially created this page in order to display the locations on a Google map.

I asked MagicalTux to install the Google Maps extension to the wiki a few times.
He said yes, but he never did it..  Huh   this has been going on for 5 weeks.
I can imagine that the owner of mtgox has other priorities.
Perhaps we should create a separate wiki, run by people that have more commitment?

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 06:04:48 AM

Perhaps we should create a separate wiki, run by people that have more commitment?

A wiki is made by people. Creating another wiki will not help. If there are people with more commitment, just point them to the current wiki.
Disposition (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 06:20:07 AM

I think I have a solution that's much better except it's still an working progress aiming to be in some sort of functional condition by the Bitcoin Conference since it's going to use a "guide" tool for people to locate all the bitcoin related stuff that's happening in New York City.

of course, the project plans are bigger than that we hope to get more and more physical location to accept bitcoins to put them on this listing site powered by Google Maps.

I'm sorry I don't really have anything to show for the moment. but since the Conference is so close. it won't be long.

In the mean time I guess it be good that we first gather a list of physical places that deals with bitcoin THEN we can figure out if we need a wiki, or is my service good, or anyone else are welcome to use this data to do some good for the community.

cheers.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2011, 08:29:35 AM

A wiki is made by people. Creating another wiki will not help. If there are people with more commitment, just point them to the current wiki.
The Google Maps extension cannot be installed by the people ; it requires shell access to the server.
thank you for your contribution.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 09:40:14 AM

The Google Maps extension cannot be installed by the people ; it requires shell access to the server.

I'm sorry. I misread your post. I didn't know Magical Tux was in charge of the wiki. He can barely keep up with the requests for MtGox (and that is a paid job) so I assume that he has no time left for the wiki. Aren't there other admins?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 09:43:16 AM

Shell access isn't needed, just filesystem access. But yeah, nmat was wrong Wink
Disposition (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 04:15:10 PM

Added Little shop of Hardware

3252 Keswick Rd, Baltimore, MD 21211
ffuentes

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Only a curious passer-by / FirstBits: 13zsc1

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 09:38:58 PM

Added Little shop of Hardware

3252 Keswick Rd, Baltimore, MD 21211

How do you pay in the store?

Listen Radio Libre (Electronica) Donate. (click for details).

Chilean peso VS BTC ahora: http://irage.ca/2btc.php?a=1&c=CLP&r=1

My bitcoin address
Disposition (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 02:00:59 PM

currently if not all physical locations have an QR code for you to scan and you pay that way.
Disposition (OP)

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:34:46 AM

bump,

added a bunch more locations.
added custom map icon per service.

http://bitcoinnavigator.com

cheers!
ryny24

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 03:02:41 AM

I went to Hudson Eatery tonight to show some bitcoin support, but no one there had any clue about paying in bitcoin. I'm not sure how it got on the list here, but they do not accept bitcoin or even knows what it is.   Huh
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 10:17:31 PM

I went to Hudson Eatery tonight to show some bitcoin support, but no one there had any clue about paying in bitcoin. I'm not sure how it got on the list here, but they do not accept bitcoin or even knows what it is.   Huh

Ya, they were one of the merchants who had accepted Bitcoin at one time ( http://betabeat.com/2011/07/another-midtown-restaurant-hudson-eatery-now-accepts-bitcoin ) however I believe they suffered losses when the MyBitcoin hosted (shared) E-Wallet disappeared and stopped taking Bitcoin after that.

That's one problem with having multiple directories -- there's duplication and sparse traffic, so even if a merchant gets removed from one directly the entry on another may stay until someone reports it and/or contacts the curator of the list.

I no longer see Hudson Eatery on Coinmap so that directory seems to be one to be both fairly comprehensive and current.
 - http://Coinmap.org

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 03:20:21 AM

Little Shop of Hardware - 3252 Keswick Rd, Baltimore, MD 21211

See http://bitnavigator.info

cheers.

This is a nice idea, we should support some of these businesses that accept Bitcoin.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: