Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:17:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin casualties  (Read 1757 times)
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 03:18:02 AM

So I lost some more btc tonight... just disappeared into the ether.

Tonight it was by sending from an online account to what must have been an address in some previous wallet.dat I had.  Previously I've lost bitcoin sending between wallets and swapping wallets around.  My technical incompetence has certainly cost me.

Am I the only one, or could there be a substantial number of bitcoins lost forever?  (Please don't tell me I'm the only one Embarrassed)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 03:21:00 AM

I got mine backed up.

Anonymous

February 23, 2011, 03:35:30 AM

I threw way hundreds of Bitcoins when they weren't even a cent a piece.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 05:14:01 AM

I almost lost some, the donation address in my profile was for an old wallet on a different machine. Someone sent me a payment to that address. I wasn't even sure if it was the right one.

Nearly 2 weeks later I get to the machine and recover the wallet, all was well. So no I haven't lost yet but it's just a matter of time.

I think some wallet managing app, something that can handle more than 2 wallets at the same time would be quite usefull. It's only a matter of time until someone builds it.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
no to the gold cult

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 09:54:46 AM

I worry about the rate of Attrition skewing the value of bitcoin. We need clients that can reduce attrition more so that such effects don't impact the value, even if it makes remaining bitcoin more valuable it's still a screwy effect.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:22:39 AM

I almost lost some, the donation address in my profile was for an old wallet on a different machine.

I'ld be interested in a service that acts as a wallet morgue.  Such a service would accept for upload my old, zero-balance wallet.  Should any bitcoins arrive later for any of the addresses held in that the old wallet, the morgue service provider would take a reasonable cut/fee, such as 25%, and the remaining amount would get sent to a bitcoin address I provided I uploaded the wallet.

Actually I'ld be more interested in being able to import the keys from an old wallet into my current wallet.  That's something on the Bitcoin roadmap I've read, so eventually this morgue concept would be made all but unnecessary I suppose.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 10:25:38 AM

not a bad idea

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 10:39:24 AM

So I lost some more btc tonight... just disappeared into the ether.

Tonight it was by sending from an online account to what must have been an address in some previous wallet.dat I had.  Previously I've lost bitcoin sending between wallets and swapping wallets around.  My technical incompetence has certainly cost me.

Am I the only one, or could there be a substantial number of bitcoins lost forever?  (Please don't tell me I'm the only one Embarrassed)

did you try rescan the wallets against the block chain?
it may be that you just do not see the balance in your bitcoin client because you were swapping wallets while the block was broadcasted that had "your" transaction in it.
rescan feature in the new client could help

or the old fashioned way, you download the blockchain again to have it scan with your wallet. if you did not deleted the wallet and you used your valid address to send you bitcoins, the are not lost, it's just a little lack of knowledge

btw i've lost some of my bitcoins gambling

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
Bimmerhead (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1291
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 12:52:48 AM

thanks tilopa but I don't think I could even find the address again.
I'll just hope they reappear when I open one of my old wallets again
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 06:53:51 PM

I almost lost some, the donation address in my profile was for an old wallet on a different machine. Someone sent me a payment to that address. I wasn't even sure if it was the right one.

Nearly 2 weeks later I get to the machine and recover the wallet, all was well. So no I haven't lost yet but it's just a matter of time.

I think some wallet managing app, something that can handle more than 2 wallets at the same time would be quite usefull. It's only a matter of time until someone builds it.

Hey, I did build it already. I think it might even work on Linux, but nobody trust my code. Sad

Also, I should mention that I have not significantly tested this, so any feedback is great.

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3735.0
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 07:48:23 PM

can your app do wallet merge? not export import but choosing 2 wallets and merge them to 1?
i'd try it

No, unfortunately it cannot add or remove keys from the wallet. It merely does a dumb encryption of the entire wallet using the public key of the specified GPG recipient. This means that any time your wallet is open, it is vulnerable. To me, this is better than it being vulnerable all the time, in addition to the added ease of working with multiple wallets.

Sorry!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: