Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:30:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road lost funds  (Read 843 times)
Noitev (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 505

The Last NXT Founder

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:07:15 PM

I was pretty hungry last night around 4 am and went to a 24/7 convenience store near me to get some snacks. I put on a Bitcoin shirt and drove off.

When I got the the clerk commented about bitcoin and how he had 19 BTC lost to sil road since he used it as a online wallet. we had a pleasant chat and I went on my way.

Is there anything people like him can do?
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thegolden24

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

follow me on twitter @BitcoinBender

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:11:32 PM

Not likely, its the united states' property now. Fortunately for me I only lost a few dollars in btc when it was seized.

Bitrated user: ChrisCarreon.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:14:55 PM

Yes, cut his losses and stop telling strangers that he was buying drugs on Silk Road.

It is possible to make a claim for seized property with the treasury but I would advise against it. Direct him to this website: http://fear.org/whatodo-1.html

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:37:10 PM

Yes, cut his losses and stop telling strangers that he was buying drugs on Silk Road.

It is possible to make a claim for seized property with the treasury but I would advise against it. Direct him to this website: http://fear.org/whatodo-1.html

About a quarter of the products that were offered on SR weren't drugs...

Signature space available for rent.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 08:39:15 PM

Don't tell me, tell the Feds during their investigation of you when you make the claim.

kuverty

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:29:36 PM

Don't tell me, tell the Feds during their investigation of you when you make the claim.

Well I guess the feds have the database and can see whether you've been buying/selling legit items or not. Probably not a lot of totally clean accounts there...
ZooKeeper74

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 11:21:25 PM

The USA as we now know it has placed the burden of proof on you. You will have to prove ownership of coins, and prove you were doing nothing illegal.. Since they arent physical or hold any intrinsic value, its the account/wallet itself youd be requesting back. Which is 100% connected to the operators of Silk Road. So by admitting you operated an account/wallet with Silk Road would make you an accessory to crime in some way.   Buying the wrong brand of cereal gets you put on the terrorist watch list these days...

When they seized the site/server or whatever, did they acquire the data to access the wallets?  Or did they have to set up other online black markets hoping users would use the same username and password? (I hear there's a Silk Road 2)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: