Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:07:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I wish people would talk less about price.  (Read 1473 times)
locksley (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:19:53 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2013, 10:30:48 PM by locksley

There have been 3 bubbles now and each time it's the same thing at varying levels of intensity. People always generate technical charts detailing price movements, talking about this/that price point as if it meant something. "What will Bitcoin reach in 2014?". Hindsight analysis is always applied with X event explaining Y movement. Cyprus this. China that.

I'm getting sick of it. It adds no value. I, for one, am glad that the price tanked, if it'll mean people will talk less about it.

Hopefully the hype is gone so when can start building the actual Bitcoin economy, the real guts of it - merchant adoption, international remittance, developer infrastructure, allowing transaction types that were previously impossible (e.g. MULTISIG, ANYONECANPAY etc ...).

Thanks for reading.

/rant

[EDIT:] Toned down the language.
fitbobcat

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:21:29 PM

There have been 3 bubbles now and each time it's the same thing at varying levels of intensity. People always generate bullshit technical charts detailing price movements, talking about this/that price point as if it meant something. "What will Bitcoin reach in 2014?". Hindsight analysis is always applied with X event explaining Y movement. Cyprus this. China that.

I'm so sick of this shit. It adds no value. I, for one, am glad that the price tanked, if it'll mean people will shut the fuck up about it.

Hopefully the hype is gone so when can start building the actual Bitcoin economy, the real guts of it - merchant adoption, international remittance, developer infrastructure, allowing transaction types that were previously impossible (e.g. MULTISIG, ANYONECANPAY etc ...).

Thanks for reading.

/rant

I agree 100%, The people who are freaking out and threatening to kill them selves need to chill. If the price of bitcoin goes down it has to come back up. (Just like before) Right? 

Rainbow Text Created at http://freebitcoinfaucet.com/bbcode/

16XxqtX2AcfRt8J4KGWLxQbs8CQVA1HaDW
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:24:06 PM

There have been 3 bubbles now and each time it's the same thing at varying levels of intensity. People always generate bullshit technical charts detailing price movements, talking about this/that price point as if it meant something. "What will Bitcoin reach in 2014?". Hindsight analysis is always applied with X event explaining Y movement. Cyprus this. China that.

I'm so sick of this shit. It adds no value. I, for one, am glad that the price tanked, if it'll mean people will shut the fuck up about it.

Thanks for reading.

/rant

You don't have to read any of that! Just go create!  Smiley
marketermac

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:25:07 PM

what are you talking about? price drives a ton of the things you want to happen here, so it should be a part of the conversation. price goes up, ALL of the things you mention get more attention put on them, and more work put into them.
locksley (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:40:07 PM

what are you talking about? price drives a ton of the things you want to happen here, so it should be a part of the conversation. price goes up, ALL of the things you mention get more attention put on them, and more work put into them.

That's a valid point.

I think Aaron Levie put it best - "The challenge with Bitcoin is the bubble came before the utility was proven, not the other way around." (https://twitter.com/levie/status/406932229256773632)
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:44:29 PM

Let me get this straight... a new currency is developed, and you're pissed because people want to discuss the exchange value?

Maybe you need to take a break for awhile. lol.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
LOG123

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 09:56:40 PM

btc to the moon
arise chikun arise
uh oh watch out here comes fontas let's [REDACTED] his [REDACTED]

Yeah, value is relative though.
One bitcoin will always be one bitcoin, no matter how it trades against other currencies, if we all decide one BTC can buy a can of soda, then that is the value, obviously.
Though with all the merchants getting set up with BTC  [Hell, we finally got set up (see bottom of post for announcement link)], I think it will regain its value against the dollar sooner than most think.

2014 Will be the true rise of Bitcoin, as a currency, moving away from being a commodity, as I see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=719188414759692&set=a.447180878627115.113742.390515584293645&type=1
watsonic

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:10:42 PM

Let me get this straight... a new currency is developed, and you're pissed because people want to discuss the exchange value?

OP should just switch back to fiat
maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:12:55 PM

This.

Double this.

OP should just switch back to fiat

This too.

OP needs to be more polite imo.
ivroer

Activity: 89
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:22:40 PM

Thanks for reading.

/rant

Nice rant  Grin

I think at this stage of Bitcoin's integration into the "real world", it's very difficult, almost impossible to avoid the "P" word topic. But I'd definitely like to see more discussion on other topics.

When more people start getting paid in bitcoin and paying their bills [directly] in bitcoin - I think that's when the price discussion will become less prevalent. But for now the easiest way for Average Joe to get some bitcoin is to pay the price of his fiat to someone who's willing to sell some of their bitcoin for that price.

When Average Joe is earning bitcoin then the discussion will switch from price to hourly rate or annual salary.
locksley (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:24:28 PM

...a new currency is developed, and you're pissed because people want to discuss the exchange value?

Yes, because it's mostly fluff and has the unfortunate effect of stealing the media spotlight from products which do add value for Bitcoin. For example, things like BitRated and ProofOfExistence are potential game changers that didn't get nearly enough attention.

Anyway, I edited the title/body to sound less dicky.
msc

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:34:26 PM

...a new currency is developed, and you're pissed because people want to discuss the exchange value?

Yes, because it's mostly fluff and has the unfortunate effect of stealing the media spotlight from products which do add value for Bitcoin. For example, things like BitRated and ProofOfExistence are potential game changers that didn't get nearly enough attention.
Well yes, I agree with that.  People don't need to worry about fluctuations so much.  As long as Bitcoin remains viable, the price will stabilize.  For that, we need good software and good security.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:35:37 PM

There have been 3 bubbles now and each time it's the same thing at varying levels of intensity. People always generate technical charts detailing price movements, talking about this/that price point as if it meant something. "What will Bitcoin reach in 2014?". Hindsight analysis is always applied with X event explaining Y movement. Cyprus this. China that.

I'm getting sick of it. It adds no value. I, for one, am glad that the price tanked, if it'll mean people will talk less about it.

Thanks for reading.

/rant

Talking about it, however hysterical, keeps it in the spotlight. Good or bad, it puts bitcoin into peoples conscience, which drives adoption. Isn't that the big thing?
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:46:12 PM

I hope that all ya'll speculators would sell your BTC so the price goes down to 1$ then I'll buy all of it.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 10:53:39 PM

I agree! I also can't believe that people with a fishing hobby keep talking about lures. Bait this, lures that, homemade lures, most productive lures, worst lures, best ones for different fish.....bla bla bla. They will even take some out of a box and try to show you why they have the best ones.  Kiss

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2013, 10:56:18 PM

Just laugh and make money off the ignorant twats, that's what I'm slowly doing and it's great Cheesy
luqash3

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 07:23:31 PM

Sorry Locksley but people will always look at technical charts to judge the future prices. And why won’t they look at prices? After all they need to shield their money from draining. Don’t you watch future prices through charts or fundamentals? If you say no then I must say you are not a mature trader yet hence don’t take your money to market 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: