Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:10:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [CRYPTO WALLET BACKUP] Backup software for crypto wallets  (Read 868 times)
RenegadeMind (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 02:42:30 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2014, 03:53:56 PM by RenegadeMind

Crypto Wallet Backup

WHAT: Fast & easy backup for all your crypto currency wallet.dat files.

v1.1
HOME PAGE: http://cynic.me/2014/03/29/crypto-wallet-backup-adds-testnet-and-conf-files/

v1.0
HOME PAGE: http://cynic.me/2013/12/19/crypto-wallet-backup-a-simple-easy-open-source-wallet-dat-backup-program/

DOWNLOADS:

v1.1
* Adds in testnet
* Adds in CONF files
* Tiny cosmetic change

Download program

Download source code

v.1.0
Download program

Download source code

USING CRYPTO WALLET BACKUP:

1) Unzip and copy the program to a USB memory stick or some form of external storage, e.g. portable hard drive, mobile phone, digital camera, SD card, etc.

2) Run the program.

3) Click the "Find My Wallets!" button to automatically find all your wallets.

4) Drag and drop any other files that you want to back up from Window Explorer to anywhere on the program. They will be added to the backup list. e.g. A Keepass database, etc.

5) Click the "Back Up Files" button.

6) Done! Run it again from another portable storage device so that you have more than 1 backup.

The program minimizes to the taskbar notification area (system tray) so as to not clutter up the taskbar. Just double-click the icon then click the backup button any time you want to create a new backup.

Wallets are backed up in date & time stamped folder names with each wallet (or file) renamed with the full path (as you can see above). This keeps it extremely simple and you can see in the file name where each wallet would be restored to. It also eliminates the need for subfolders so you can see all your wallet files backed up in 1 place without browsing through different folders.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

• Windows
  • .NET 4

No other special requirements.

NOTES:

There is more information in the "readme.txt" file that comes along with the program. The source code is available there as well. So far the source code has been checked out by 1 person here: http://doges.org/index.php/topic,2807.msg14905.html#msg14905.

If anyone else would like to check the source, please do. There are a lot of douches out there, I'm just not one of them. Cheesy So if someone else could check the source for the sake of those people that don't program and can't read code, it would be appreciated.

This isn't a general backup program though, and it's not designed to backup large amounts of data. It's meant for quickly backing up wallets and perhaps a couple other critical files.

WHY?

I've been meaning to write a very simple and easy to use program to backup my wallet.dat files, and finally got around to it. (Seeing the price of Bitcoin and other crypto dropping was pretty depressing, so I needed to do some coding just to relax.) I backup my wallets to quite a few devices, and it's really a pain in the butt. This just makes it a lot easier.

I wanted something that I could run from a USB stick or other portable storage so that I could have multiple backups without a lot of the fuss and pain of using some crazy massive backup "solution".

Hopefully that will save someone some pain down the road.

UPDATE 2014-03-29: v1.1 adds in testnet wallet.dat and CONF file backups.

nobodysbusiness

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:13:24 AM

I've been using an encrypted volume together with Dropbox. What are some of the advantages that your solution offers?
RenegadeMind (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 04:35:52 AM

I've been using an encrypted volume together with Dropbox. What are some of the advantages that your solution offers?

Good question.

I like having multiple backups, and it's small and fast enough to make that easy. The main benefit is speed and ease.

But I'm not very keen on cloud storage. I've been burned too many times. Just absolute, complete nightmares that cost me dearly. So, I'm a bit on the "gun shy" side when it comes to the cloud. Add in the NSA factor, and I'm even less keen on it.

I prefer local storage that I can control, or paid online storage where I have absolute control. (e.g. I might store an encrypted backup on one of my servers, etc.)

Storing an encrypted backup on Dropbox (or some reliable cloud storage) is a good idea so that you have "off-site" backups. This doesn't offer that, but it does let you aggregate your wallets quickly so that you can then encrypt them in an archive and back that up to something like Dropbox.

The program is obviously not going to address every need for everyone. My general thoughts are that it's good to have multiple backup strategies for critical data. This is simply 1 additional way to help backup wallets easily.

Oh, and I've seen numerous people asking, "Where do I find my wallet.dat file?" This does that automatically. So, for people that have trouble finding their wallets, this makes all of that trivial.

RenegadeMind (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 10:57:14 AM

I had some requests and have added some new functionality:

* Console application that you can run through Windows Task Scheduler
* Backups are zipped
* You can add a password

http://cynic.me/2014/02/01/crypto-wallet-backup-console-version-with-zip-and-password-protection/

Source code is included in the download.

Just download it, unzip it into the same folder as the GUI executable (the above version), then run it however you like, e.g. from the command line, double-clicking, or through scheduling.

Funny Kitty

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:04:54 PM

Thanks. That's just what I needed. DOGE tipped Smiley
MsCollec
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 02:06:10 PM

i will give it a try  Cheesy
RenegadeMind (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 11:56:31 AM

Someone tipped 250 DOGE today! My first tip for this! Woohoo~! Cheesy Thanks to whoever you are! Smiley

TheFreakinBandit

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:40:42 AM

Works great. Fast and simple. Just what i needed  Smiley
RenegadeMind (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2014, 03:48:54 PM

I lost a truckload of testnet coins... so I've added in testnet and CONF files:

http://cynic.me/2014/03/29/crypto-wallet-backup-adds-testnet-and-conf-files/

The new downloads include the source code as well.

If you don't use testnet, or you don't use *.conf files for your cryptocurrencies, then you don't need this update. If you do use either, then this is a bit of additional peace of mind.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: