Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:43:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The first Bitcoin Solar mining device coming soon - SolarMiner USB2 machine  (Read 9866 times)
repairguy

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:26:55 AM

No offense, but we are here to offer people a great product, we are here to contribute with our hard works and heart.

Really, because it seems you are trying to play on peoples ignorance to sell them a product that will never break even.
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:33:52 AM

Ahh, now the negativity comes out. Sorry buddy, but the repairs and upgrades I listed will save someone far more money than your box ever will. blah blah paying huge money to fix later on? vs paying huge money for no benefit with your solar usb charger? ha.
drtek

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 08:08:08 AM

No Deal for me. Reason: No actual mining hardware. We need tech-guys to fill the USB-Miner gap asap!
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 08:27:28 AM

And also, I loose 10-12 hrs per day of mining(no sunlight)  Does this product make sense to anyone??

You won't lose your mining hours. Batteries are large enough to power the FULL mining continuously even without solar panels, before batteries are running out, before you rest in midnight, plug it into the wall for the rest of midnight hours.

Please bear in mind that this device is not for replacing your normal power supply completely, it's been designed to reduce your electricity cost to the minimum so that you are more likely to make a profit from mining.

This statement is ridiculous.. Are you honestly telling me I am going to save money by buying a $1000 dollar usb hub that will allow me to save on electricity half the time? So basically cutting my electricity cost down from $20/year to $10/year (assuming sunlight 12hrs every day). ROI is ~100 years for this device no matter the hashrate. Why would anyone who is seriously concerned about efficiency spend it on this novelty instead of buying extra hashing power.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 1854

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:01:36 AM

If nothing else, it's a start. It's a step in a good direction; the first step is never very efficient or cost-effective but if folks run with it the next steps will get progressively better. Same thing we've seen with GPU/FPGA/ASIC; someone puts up the effort to do it once and folks decide to keep doing it and get better at it because someone else wants it.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
jimmothy

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:09:32 AM

If nothing else, it's a start. It's a step in a good direction; the first step is never very efficient or cost-effective but if folks run with it the next steps will get progressively better. Same thing we've seen with GPU/FPGA/ASIC; someone puts up the effort to do it once and folks decide to keep doing it and get better at it because someone else wants it.

Solar panels are not new technology
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 1854

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:20:09 AM

Yeah, not by a long shot. But has anyone else put out an integrated product geared toward mining? I haven't seen it.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Bismarckbkk

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:11:36 AM

There should be units in the future that will have more hash using less power so they could eventually roi but if going solar it would be wise to spend a little more and get a grid tie system.

The cost of batteries will kill any saving that you make from solar.

1EPhcyv9GPcCwwbtVt3a3nwC1o4pn67bax
jimmothy

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:14:11 AM

There should be units in the future that will have more hash using less power so they could eventually roi but if going solar it would be wise to spend a little more and get a grid tie system.

If there are more efficient asics in the future then why use this at all? You can get a shitload of electricity for $1000.
Bismarckbkk

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:24:53 AM

If there are more efficient asics in the future then why use this at all? You can get a shitload of electricity for $1000.

I didnt say you should get it. Solar will roi long tern anyway unless someone invents free energy.

davedx

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 12:10:31 PM

And also, I loose 10-12 hrs per day of mining(no sunlight)  Does this product make sense to anyone??

You won't lose your mining hours. Batteries are large enough to power the FULL mining continuously even without solar panels, before batteries are running out, before you rest in midnight, plug it into the wall for the rest of midnight hours.

Please bear in mind that this device is not for replacing your normal power supply completely, it's been designed to reduce your electricity cost to the minimum so that you are more likely to make a profit from mining.

This statement is ridiculous.. Are you honestly telling me I am going to save money by buying a $1000 dollar usb hub that will allow me to save on electricity half the time? So basically cutting my electricity cost down from $20/year to $10/year (assuming sunlight 12hrs every day). ROI is ~100 years for this device no matter the hashrate. Why would anyone who is seriously concerned about efficiency spend it on this novelty instead of buying extra hashing power.

Who is mining with a $20/year electricity bill?!

Bitcoin is one piece of a larger puzzle to promote liberty, prosperity and democracy.
Support the EFF with your Bitcoins. https://supporters.eff.org/donate
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 12:47:56 PM

This is a really nice idea,how about another set of solar panels to charge the battery untill it runs out

This device is only worthwhile if you live in a hot country

Definitely works here in Malaysia. Looking forward to the whole packing + pricing details.

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 12:48:42 PM

I didnt say you should get it. Solar will roi long tern anyway unless someone invents free energy.

Tesla did it:
http://teslafreeenergygenerator.com/

Bismarckbkk

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:21:09 PM

I hope youre joking

NullVoxPopuli

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:24:38 PM

Can we have more pictures, and maybe an example set up?
Fassade

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 06:05:19 PM

Someone news about this product?
solarminer.james

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 02:19:30 PM

More pictures:
This is a set up using cellphone as wireless spot:
14 Antminer U1 miners mine around 22GH/s FREE of Wall Power.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o3GYWX5X-n4/UyBRjUlsiXI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/-qNO-6w7bZI/w913-h685-no/DSCF0868.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-W-0pIjgWJ3g/UyBRmNtQn1I/AAAAAAAAAEY/eLRm_ihOJhU/w913-h685-no/DSCF0844.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ta3DzdPeNtM/UyBetDODqHI/AAAAAAAAAFU/9GVQ_l-si_A/w856-h642-no/DSCF0864.JPG
Photon939

Activity: 452

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 04:17:26 PM

Antminers + Raspberry pi, ~40W @ 5vdc. Assume you use a crappy power supply that pulls 50W from the wall. Assume you have expensive electricity ($0.35/KWh) It would take 5.87 years for ROI on this device. (IE it would cost you the same as buying the power from a utility)

I commend you for going through the effort of designing these machines, but buyers will be restricted for those that may want to dabble with solar energy, not expect any real power savings.

Also are those solar panels epoxy encapsulated? Looks like they're plastic and leather.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 08:06:21 PM

Note: I have about 2,000 watts of solar on one shed and 900 watts on the other. They're finally putting out power now that spring is coming and I'm moving about 3,000 watts worth of miners out into the shed.

This is enough to balance out the load of 850gh of hashing power while the sun is shining right on the panels, maybe 4 hours a day. That's it. Going 24 hours it would barely cover 100gh with batteries supporting the load.

What you really need to do is this:

Find an abandoned dam
Enter it with a penstock turbine, miners, and a cell phone
Set everything up
Leave

The cell phone would provide the internet, and so forth. That would work.

C
The One
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 09:15:32 PM

One would be better off installing proper solar panels on the roof, if one can afford it, and use it to power your mining rig. Batteries would need to be deep cycle marine batteries as they last longer. Any surplus energy can be fed back into the grid or used to heat up water.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: