Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:01:20 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin become Tea Partied?  (Read 3465 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 08:25:35 AM

In 2007 Ron Paul was running for president. Once people found out about Ron Paul they went out of their way to get him elected in an environment of big government politics.

The media ignored him, they went out of their way to exclude anything Ron Paul related. Then his supporters found out that the media liked to report the results of the quarterly donation figures. His supporters figured that there was no way they would ignore Ron Paul getting a large amount of donations.

So in the spirit of "V for Vendetta" his supporters got behind a November 5th money bomb where the goal was to raise as much money toward Ron Paul's campaign on November 5th as possible. They ended up raising over a million dollars in a day. The media reported the heck out of it, Ron Paul was finally being covered on TV instead of just on the Internet.

So the plan shortly after that was to do another one, there was a quick second one set for Nov. 11, Veteran's Day, a few other days were considered but everyone liked the idea of having the next money bomb day as December 16, the anniversary of the Boston Tea Party.

Not only did they plan a Tea Party money bomb, they included parades all over the country, rallies, all sorts of big events to support Ron Paul. On that day Ron Paul collected over $6 million in donations. There were rallies all over the country ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYRLqwPQQuo ), there was a lot of media attention and the Tea Party was born.

After the Republicans gave the election to Obama by electing a liberal in the primaries the Tea Party rallies continued. The same people that elected a liberal started joining the rallies because they were upset that their liberal was not elected.

The message started getting muddied by the same big government supporters that were the reason for the Tea Party in the first place. It was easily attacked because the same old arguments could be used against the same old politics. And it turned into the same old big government politics with people like Marco Rubio using the Tea Party enthusiasm to get elected so he could support big government.

Bitcoin has grown from its supporters who understand the whole point of Bitcoin, have read the White Paper and agree with the sentiment behind Satoshi's words about the bailouts and the need for a new currency outside of the Federal Reserve.

Bitcoin is growing but it is gaining people who have no real clue about the concept, they just see it as an investment, a fad to put their money in so they can get some good fiat out of it. People can easily attack Bitcoin because of these investors, attacking the "bubble" and fad-like support. Government support is becoming the centerpiece, there is a Bitcoin Foundation to centralize Bitcoin decisions.

Will Bitcoin become muddied by the same big government supporters that were the reason for Bitcoin in the first place?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:39:06 AM

In a sense, yes; but also no...

From the moment it became unprofitable for regular people to mine BitCoin without thousands of dollars to spend on equipment; a piece of the dream was lost...

Had LiteCoin not came along to balance it out... The situation would be unrecoverable.

I think most people buy into BitCoin at first as speculative investors but then most of them realize the true value of what it has to offer...

I think once BitCoin and LiteCoin both enter the market as competitors it will actually benefit the underlying cause of both.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
taltamir

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:39:39 AM

This already happened. Bitcoin is already being used be investors who don't care for its principles.

Anyone who actually cares about the principles on which bitcoin was founded would see that ASICs have caused the centralization of power and that bitcoin needs a hard fork to switch to a protocol that is ASIC hostile. But I don't see it happening so we now need to surpass bitcoin with an altcoin that is ASIC hostile

Aside from that, people are clamoring for government acceptance even though it was a tool for undermining government tyranny. The so called "legitimizing" of bitcoin in so called "real banks" who only wish to usurp bitcoin and centralize it.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 08:54:43 AM

Seriously? Turning this into a "I hate ASICs" thread?

ASICs which are being mass produced to the point where any person can buy a small device and be up and mining quickly.

When I tried mining for the first time in 2010 I could not get it running on my computer for whatever reason, if I had a device to plug into my computer that did it for me I would have been mining way back then.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
pungopete468

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:44:21 AM

I don't hate ASIC's... I think they were a great invention. I hate the impact they had on the network.

But you can't logically say I'm off base in my observations either...

▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
taltamir

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:50:52 AM

I don't hate ASIC's... I think they were a great invention. I hate the impact they had on the network.

Well put.
luqash3

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:27:34 PM

No Elwar I don’t think bitcoin will have tea party. It might have small tea parties but at the end it will crash in a way that it won’t be able to recover ever. I guess that time is not too far as China have already got active to end the tea party of bitcoins. So just wait and watch for bitcoin to end up infinitely 
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2013, 05:32:10 PM

Bitcoin is antifragile.

Honey badger doesn't give a fiddle.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:59:22 PM

No Elwar I don’t think bitcoin will have tea party. It might have small tea parties but at the end it will crash in a way that it won’t be able to recover ever. I guess that time is not too far as China have already got active to end the tea party of bitcoins. So just wait and watch for bitcoin to end up infinitely  

you obviously do not understand bitcoin at all..

bitcoins dont need a countries bank to make bitcoin worthy, bitcoins dont need a government decision to make bitcoins worthy.

take the good old days of 'prohibition' where america completely outlawed alcohol... yet people still secretly bought it, drunk it, etc whilst prohibition was inplace, other countries did not panic that alcohol would die. now look at all the alcoholics buying it in bars/nightclubs and local in stores now.. did alcohol die?? no

take the tulip bulb mania.. people say tulips hold no value.. yet when i go to a garden shop, they cost more then chewing gum...

bitcoin will never die as it still has 130+years of mining to go.

But you can't logically say I'm off base in my observations either...

just like the excavators changed the method of mining which hurt people that only wanted to use pickaxes.. so what did the pickaxe miners do that could not afford excavators. they started mining for silver or precious stones/minerals.

to me litecoin is the 'sandbox' tutorial into cryptocurency. the newbie area to mine with just your computer equipment, learn the process, get to know the community and make a few pennies. then upgrade to multiple GPU systems to make more money, before then going for the big rig ASICS.

now to the topic of teaparty.. i think there may be a teaparty. but it wont be as strong as the energy drink party (developers, tech savvi people).. Grin and of course other beverages are available to have at parties.
the champagne party (filled with non government investors) Grin

in the end it doesnot matter if millions hate bitcoin.. there are 7 billion people in the world.. as long as just a few love it, bitcoin will be around for centuries, so all this negative propaganda although it causes the ramps and dumps, it wont kill bitcoin. and to put my entire post more simply into 9 words

Bitcoin is antifragile.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
taltamir

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:57:10 PM

... did you even read the post you are replying to? I am not accusing you of being wrong, I am saying you are ridiculously misrepresenting the argument you supposedly counter and are arguing on some completely different issue unrelated to the thread.
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:19:44 PM

If bitcoin is to survive, it has to at least re-examine its childish and frankly pathetic anti-government stance and bitchy rhetoric.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with such sentiments, one thing's for sure: Majority of the public will not be convinced by what many will see as a bunch of computer-obsessed layabouts constantly raving about the 'guberment' and 'evil jewish conspiracy'.

Yes. Bitchy rhetoric. Even Che Guevara was considered a mere 'adventurist' by more experienced people of his time. They were eventually proven to be right.

Also, you need to work with at least part of the existing system or at least be prepared to do some negotiating with the system if you want any chance at this crypto going mainstream.

Seize power with going mainstream. Develop a trust-worthy and sound exchanges that doesn't always scam investors. Right now, crypto is not a place where you can put much trust.

Trust, and mainstream power. Build those two up and you won't end up in the dust bin of history. At least, you would have a better chance.

Lastly, this means no more idolizing of those two cowards Assaunge and Snowden as some kind of heroes. They were cowards whose actions clearly indicate they have more mouth than spine (china and russia? really?). They cut and run right against their so-called 'ideals' at the first sign of real trouble and have no backbone to deal with what they got themselves into. Their actions show how empty and pathetically naive/self-congratulatory they are. Frankly, it's embarrassing for people to put those two fools forwards as examples to follow.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:53:10 PM

If bitcoin is to survive, it has to at least re-examine its childish and frankly pathetic anti-government stance and bitchy rhetoric.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with such sentiments, one thing's for sure: Majority of the public will not be convinced by what many will see as a bunch of computer-obsessed layabouts constantly raving about the 'guberment' and 'evil jewish conspiracy'.

Yes. Bitchy rhetoric. Even Che Guevara was considered a mere 'adventurist' by more experienced people of his time. They were eventually proven to be right.

Also, you need to work with at least part of the existing system or at least be prepared to do some negotiating with the system if you want any chance at this crypto going mainstream.

Seize power with going mainstream. Develop a trust-worthy and sound exchanges that doesn't always scam investors. Right now, crypto is not a place where you can put much trust.

Trust, and mainstream power. Build those two up and you won't end up in the dust bin of history. At least, you would have a better chance.

Lastly, this means no more idolizing of those two cowards Assaunge and Snowden as some kind of heroes. They were cowards whose actions clearly indicate they have more mouth than spine (china and russia? really?). They cut and run right against their so-called 'ideals' at the first sign of real trouble and have no backbone to deal with what they got themselves into. Their actions show how empty and pathetically naive/self-congratulatory they are. Frankly, it's embarrassing for people to put those two fools forwards as examples to follow.
Cool story.

At least your username is honest.
Honeypot

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:55:56 PM

Cool story.

At least your username is honest.

Tin foil hat factory will do well with people like you around.

What's the matter, can't stand a bit of reality?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 12:08:29 AM

Reality: how the mainstream public in the G7 countries does or does not react to Bitcoin is barely relevant.

If they are scared off by something that threatens their complacently - fuck 'em, there's another 6 billion people out in the world who have far more immediate experience with just how destructive government currencies can be.

I hope every single person who is offended by, "childish and frankly pathetic anti-government stances and bitchy rhetoric" stays as far away from Bitcoin as possible. They don't deserve the benefits of being early adopters.
Honeypot

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 12:19:52 AM

Reality: how the mainstream public in the G7 countries does or does not react to Bitcoin is barely relevant.

If they are scared off by something that threatens their complacently - fuck 'em, there's another 6 billion people out in the world who have far more immediate experience with just how destructive government currencies can be.

I hope every single person who is offended by, "childish and frankly pathetic anti-government stances and bitchy rhetoric" stays as far away from Bitcoin as possible. They don't deserve the benefits of being early adopters.

HAHA the so-called 'liberators' trying to lecture from a soapbox about who deserves what.

How can you be truly offended by such shallow reasonings that can't even see beyond the obvious flaws and in the end is swept around by personal emotions? Not to mention your reaction proves my points perfectly.

Everyone's a righteous mother fucker until the shoe's on the other foot.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 12:41:51 AM

Bitcoin is antifragile.

Perhaps the nickname for a smaller unit of currency (eg 1/1000th BTC) should be a "Badger". :-)
pungopete468

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 11:50:44 PM

You're entitled to your opinions Honeypot but you're just as guilty of clouding your judgement with emotion as those you accuse...

I agree with some of your statements, yes BitCoin will need to diversify to gain widespread acceptance; but not at the expense of it's core ideology. The "anti-government" ideologists aren't as uncommon as you think they are within the entire population. You don't have to be an anarchist to believe in limiting government powers.

I agree that BitCoin will have to work alongside existing centralized currencies to a small extent. However, BitCoin is more likely to shut itself down by compromising with the existing system than it is to be shut down for resisting the system. If anything, the existing system needs to improve itself to even become competitive with BitCoin and other digital currencies in general. Remember that BitCoin is an international currency so it shouldn't accommodate the requirements of one banking system at the expense of another.

I disagree completely with your stance on whistle blowers. Just as I feel it's a civil duty for police and military to resist unconstitutional laws and orders; I believe it's equally important that the people be made aware of the constitutional infringements committed by the NSA and every other government organization which currently exists or might ever exist in the future. The government has no rights beyond what they've been granted by the people in the United States Constitution.

There's no reason why somebody should have to become a martyr just to get the word out either. The protection of your own life is a right guaranteed above any law. When presented with the choice to stand your ground and die it's reasonable to attempt escape. You can't blame somebody for wishing to preserve their own life.

Also, the whole "tin foil hat" insult is unnecessary and it originated from the intellectually challenged. It's the product of a mental defense mechanism that causes people who can't factually refute another persons opinion to deflect the focus of the debate while simultaneously reinforcing their own emotional desire for superiority. If you disagree with an off-the-wall opinion you should probably just agree to disagree unless you can back up your opinion.

By the time the first insult is thrown the debate is already over.

▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████