Bitcoin Forum
October 05, 2024, 09:10:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NewBies Guide to BitcoinTalk 101 *Any additions are greatly welcomed*  (Read 550 times)
solidshotnosh (OP)

Activity: 307
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:18:58 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 09:32:41 AM by solidshotnosh

I thought something cool for the newer guys to bitcoingtalk or bitcoin in a general would be something like a quick and dirty bulletin list of the "do's and dont's" of the btc world.

I love the internet, but on a daily basis I see little fuckers getting away with scams, or just generally preying on the normal guy's hope and optimism which inevitably leads them to being "prey"

I wish I had a list like Jay and Silent Bob, I'd hunt every one of them down and kick them right in the teeth....THE TEETH MAN I DON'T PLAY NO GAMES

-AFTER 4 HOURS OF LOGGED TIME AND 5 POSTS, VISIT THIS THREAD TO BE USHERED INTO THE DIVIDED KINGDOMS: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15911.0

-Always use escrow

-Always look up suggested sites, post a topic asking about the site in question if you have to, you wouldn't believe how quickly you'll get answered on these forums.

-Loans ALWAYS require collateral, and no, your ID and Birth certificate aren't sufficient forms of collateral.

-Read alot, there's a TON of information on this forum, I personally recommend Goombo's Journal

-If you get queasy at all about your investments do not visit the speculation board, hell probably not even the economics board.

-Those 50000 TERA BIT ASIC BALLS OUT GET FUCKING RICH ASIC miners that are advertised may seem really enticing to drop 5k+ on some rigs that hash at 500ghashes a second, but check out some mining calculators, and how mining rewards work and how much power that is relative to the network as a whole.

Your reward for mining scales based on how much other power exists in the bitcoin ecosystem. You used to be able to mine a few coins with a single poopy GPU, but now you're lucky if you mine a coin in a month with 4 cards @ 200 ghashes a piece ( Not exact numbers, just a general comparison, my lawyer insisted I write this)

-Secure your wallets, look up paper wallets

-If someone on another site links you to some sketchy site saying they're giving out bitcoins that then asks you to run a java app, or anything with .exe on the end of it, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT DO IT, cus they be haxxing your shit. (Most commonly seen on the random board of 4chan)

This thread is a great place to start that actually has legit free offers: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90718.0

>Yeah I broke 1 & 2, what are you gonna do about it

-If anything ever sounds like it's probably even a little good, it probably isn't. Don't just take something someone says with a grain of salt, take it with a shot of tequila and then put the the salt in your fucking eyeballs.

Anyone else feel free to add, I'm getting super tired, it's 4 am here, and I got an episode of Boardwalk Empire to finish.

Will edit in the future with more poorly organized factoids maybe something about leveraging some GPU power like you can processing power from Amazon and Microsoft, all I know if so far is Amazon renting out GPU through their AWS service, but they're Nvidia cards, and they suck BALLZ for btc mining.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1530

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:27:13 AM

Just minor adds, otherwise very good newb guide.

- dont click on shortened links (you can't know whats behind them) - just ask for a full link
- use no script or something else that blocks java and other scripts unless you activate them, most invections nowadays are "drive by downloads" [citation needed]
- use strong passwords and 2 way authentifiction if possible

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
solidshotnosh (OP)

Activity: 307
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:39:11 PM

Bumpo
infinitybo

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:23:44 AM

It's still interesting to read a new guide specially for the new users,  on a roll Solidshotnosh Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: