Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:29:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin address with identity  (Read 1423 times)
xenoky (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:52:26 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 03:24:31 PM by xenoky

Hi bitcoiners,

Some days ago i asked a "famous bitcoin guy" a question, he answered so i donated him a small bitcoin amount.
To recognize my donation i send him the link of the transaction id on blockchain but i realized that this method was not enough to grant that i make the donation.
The "famous bitcoin guy" believed me Smiley but i start thinking that anonymous address are ok in many situation but a simple way to associate identity to a bitcoin address could be useful in some situation and currently i don't know if something like that exist.

Technically could work as an HTTP services like that:

GET http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin-address}
return 404 not found or a custom string that could be the real name of the {bitcoin-address} owner

POST http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin-address}
write the custom string at that URL, to be succesfull you need to provide an header with the signature generated by the private key of the {bitcoin-address}

This way, only the owner of the {bitcoin-address} could post on http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin-address}

Before start implementing i would like opinion about this service.
Currently, are there other way for optionally associating identity to a bitcoin address?
Are there simple way to sign generic data with bitcoin wallet?
I think could be really useful, do you?

UPDATE for clarification based on answer:
This is an optional feature totally controlled by the owner of the bitcoin address
The service could also work in the opposite direction, knowing bitcoin address starting with the identity

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 09:54:49 AM

You can already sign messages to prove ownership of an address.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
xenoky (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:08:19 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 01:56:47 PM by xenoky

You can already sign messages to prove ownership of an address.
Thanks, didn't know because i am currently using exchange.

Anyway, do you sign the transaction or do you sign your address?
ning

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:20:45 AM

This service maps a Bitcoin address to a custom string. And the service can also be extended to the other direction -- mapping a custom string (a.k.a a user name) to a Bitcoin address. Signatures should be required for both directions.
xenoky (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:01:20 AM

This service maps a Bitcoin address to a custom string. And the service can also be extended to the other direction -- mapping a custom string (a.k.a a user name) to a Bitcoin address. Signatures should be required for both directions.

The inverse mapping could be very useful but user name has to be unique ( Have you think about all the "John Smith"? Smiley )
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 12:32:27 PM

Hi bitcoiners,

Some days ago i asked a "famous bitcoin guy" a question, he answered so i donated him a small bitcoin amount.
To recognize my donation i send him the link of the transaction id on blockchain but i realized that this method was not enough to grant that i make the donation.
The "famous bitcoin guy" believed me Smiley but i start thinking that anonymous address are ok in many situation but a simple way to associate identity to a bitcoin address could be useful in some situation and currently i don't know if something like that exist.

GET http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin address}
return 404 not found or a custom string that could be the real name of the {bitcoin address} owner

POST http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin address}
write the custom string at that URL, to be succesfull you need to provide an header with the signature generated by the private key of the {bitcoin address}

This way, only the owner of the {bitcoin address} could post on http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin address}

Currently, are there other way for optionally associating identity to a bitcoin address?

The only way I can see this working is if there was a different wallet that incorporated the persons personal info in the address; a wallet you can use for those special occasions. Otherwise overall it won't fly as people want to keep anonymous.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 12:58:47 PM

gavin andresen is thinking of incorperating API into bitcoin addresses

EG
1Blahdfkslkdfslsdflsedlgsdlscdflscd?txid=&urlcallback=www.merchantswebpage.com&customparameter=

so then people can set up their own addresses and custom parameters. and then when the transaction is sent, it is sent through the network and a copy is sent to the callback url along with the custom parameter the person has added. thus allowing transactions to be linked to whatever information the person wants

1Blahdfkslkdfslsdflsedlgsdlscdflscd?txid=(whatever the tx ends up as)&urlcallback=www.mydonationpage.com&bitcointalkusername=franky1

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
xenoky (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 01:50:08 PM

The only way I can see this working is if there was a different wallet that incorporated the persons personal info in the address; a wallet you can use for those special occasions. Otherwise overall it won't fly as people want to keep anonymous.

Of course, this is just an optional feature
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 01:55:16 PM

However, some governments might make it mandatory and force it upon the citizens.

xenoky (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 01:58:58 PM

However, some governments might make it mandatory and force it upon the citizens.

If they are gonna force identification, i think they could find a good technical way
Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:05:15 PM

If they are gonna force identification, i think they could find a good technical way

I'll just use my old client which doesnt have this feature then. O_o
xenoky (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:12:04 PM

gavin andresen is thinking of incorperating API into bitcoin addresses

EG
1Blahdfkslkdfslsdflsedlgsdlscdflscd?txid=&urlcallback=www.merchantswebpage.com&customparameter=

so then people can set up their own addresses and custom parameters. and then when the transaction is sent, it is sent through the network and a copy is sent to the callback url along with the custom parameter the person has added. thus allowing transactions to be linked to whatever information the person wants

1Blahdfkslkdfslsdflsedlgsdlscdflscd?txid=(whatever the tx ends up as)&urlcallback=www.mydonationpage.com&bitcointalkusername=franky1

Very interesting, this is a nice feature, covering my initial problem.
But i still think it's a bit different to what i am proposing, it's an information linked to the transaction (that you have to specify every time)
not linked to an address (that you have to specify just the first time)

Don't you think?
xenoky (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:21:51 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 02:59:41 PM by xenoky

I'll just use my old client which doesnt have this feature then. O_o

Just to be clear, i am not agree to identify all bitcoin address.
I just think responsability it's not in the means
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 02:43:19 PM

The things is, if it was implemented, the governments would simply use an already existing system and in such case wouldn't look as bad as creating a new system just for control.

speedtrader

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:07:54 PM

Hi bitcoiners,

GET http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin address}
return 404 not found or a custom string that could be the real name of the {bitcoin address} owner

POST http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin address}
write the custom string at that URL, to be succesfull you need to provide an header with the signature generated by the private key of the {bitcoin address}

This way, only the owner of the {bitcoin address} could post on http://address-identity-url/{bitcoin address}

mean, what services can determine, the address with the identity of the wallet?
if it's true, it would be a miracle  Smiley
xenoky (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 03:18:31 PM

mean, what services can determine, the address with the identity of the wallet?
if it's true, it would be a miracle  Smiley

I started thinking the opposite Smiley  (knowing identity by address)

As you and ning say the reverse (knowing address by identity) could be really usefull.
The problem here is that identity is a plain string, so, how to deal with duplicates?
I am currently not figuring out
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 12:59:00 AM

The problem here is that identity is a plain string, so, how to deal with duplicates?
I am currently not figuring out

A GPG Public Key selected by the owner?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: