Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:21:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to detect fake RMB  (Read 758 times)
UPENtXF (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:03:28 PM

I want to build up a stake in RMB(CNY), by trading with the tourists that come through my town.

What's the fastest and surest way to make sure the RMB I get is authentic?

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
https://bisq.network/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:04:32 PM

I want to build up a stake in RMB(CNY), by trading with the tourists that come through my town.

What's the fastest and surest way to make sure the RMB I get is authentic?

Why would you want this?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 02:06:35 PM

The fastest way would be to use a modern Chinese money counting machine as these devices are very good at detecting fakes (the banks here rely upon them for just that purpose).

Otherwise look into things like the "ridges", UV marks, watermarks and embedded metal strips (these do depend upon the year of printing).

The most commonly faked notes are 50 and 100 (although you probably would not be interested in dealing with lower denominations).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
UPENtXF (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 02:14:13 PM

Why would you want this?
Because I want to do my microscopic part to help the Chinese circumvent the practical ban on btc in their country.

And, it's a bet that the Washington District of Criminals will collapse the USD, making RMB the new world reserve paper currency, or at least the strongest paper in the world...

"To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." -Buckminster Fuller
UPENtXF (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:17:51 PM

///
Otherwise look into things like the "ridges", UV marks, watermarks and embedded metal strips (these do depend upon the year of printing).

The most commonly faked notes are 50 and 100 (although you probably would not be interested in dealing with lower denominations).
How do small-time merchants detect fakes in China? Do they just not care and pass it on?

Is there some English resource you all recommend for figuring out which year had what kind of marks? I duckduck'd around, but it's mostly limited third-party sites...  Huh

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 04:22:42 PM

How do small-time merchants detect fakes in China? Do they just not care and pass it on?

Small merchants are very cautious about money - they thoroughly check notes (even taxi drivers) so they are very unlikely to try and pass on fakes (it is a criminal offense to do so).

Is there some English resource you all recommend for figuring out which year had what kind of marks? I duckduck'd around, but it's mostly limited third-party sites...  Huh

I live in China so you can see videos in many banks here on how to detect fakes (something to entertain you while you are waiting for your number to be called up when waiting) - am not sure what most westerners use but I would guess translated versions of such videos must exist.

BTW - I've only ever been passed two fake notes (both 50 RMB) in 7 years of living here (so it isn't quite as common as you might think).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: