Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:51:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 12-18-2013 Why I want Bitcoin to die in a fire  (Read 1852 times)
El Cabron (OP)
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:15:52 PM

This is not really press as it is some random trolls personal blog post but the FUD was strong with this one so I thought I would link it.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/12/why-i-want-bitcoin-to-die-in-a.html

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:21:10 PM

Looks like the article was written by someone from the Bankers association.  Angry

Like all currency systems, Bitcoin comes with an implicit political agenda attached. Decisions we take about how to manage money, taxation, and the economy have consequences: by its consequences you may judge a finance system. Our current global system is pretty crap, but I submit that Bitcoin is worst.

Do we have any negative political agenda? Our only agenda is to stop the exploitation of the hard working common man by the bankers and financiers.

And is Bitcoin the worst? Laughable. This guy doesn't know a bit about BTCs.

Really shocking that he got 250+ comments.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 04:33:32 PM

It's noteworthy how "progressive" misguided useful idiots, emboldened by the temporary price drop, are coming out in full force:

Bitcoin, Magical Thinking, and Political Ideology

Last week, investor Chris Dixon posed a provocative dichotomy when introducing his employer’s USD $25M investment in Bitcoin service Coinbase:

“The press tends to portray Bitcoin as either a speculative bubble or a scheme for supporting criminal activity. In Silicon Valley, by contrast, Bitcoin is generally viewed as a profound technological breakthrough.”

Now working at vogue venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, Dixon is in a fine position to speak for Silicon Valley. But to the extent that the Valley is a placeholder for the technology industry at large, I beg to differ. Bitcoin is “generally viewed” quite differently.

Most charitably, Bitcoin is regarded as a flawed but nonetheless worthwhile experiment, one that has unfortunately attracted outsized attention and investment before correcting any number of glaring security issues.

To those less kind, Bitcoin has become synonymous with everything wrong with Silicon Valley: a marriage of dubious technology and questionable economics wrapped up in a crypto-libertarian political agenda that smacks of nerds-do-it-better paternalism. With its influx of finance mercenaries, the Bitcoin community is a grim illustration of greed running roughshod over meaningful progress.

Far from a “breakthrough”, Bitcoin is viewed by many technologists as an intellectual sinkhole. A person’s sincere interest in Bitcoin is evidence that they are disconnected from the financial problems most people face while lacking a fundamental understanding of the role and function of central banking. The only thing “profound” about Bitcoin is its community’s near-total obliviousness to reality.
Regulation and Other Minor Details

Bitcoin owes its present flexibility to a lack of regulation (or, more accurately, a lack of understanding around existing regulations and/or unwillingness to comply with them). If the broader Bitcoin experiment doesn’t implode, the currency will be regulated just as any other. In this best-case scenario for Bitcoin, what of the benefits Dixon claims?

We’re told that Bitcoin “fixes serious problems with existing payment systems that depend on centralized services to verify the validity of transactions.” If by “fixes” you mean “ignores”, then yes: a Bitcoin transaction, like cash, comes with the certainty that a definite quantity of a store of value has changed hands, and little else. How this verifies any “validity” or cuts down on fraud I’m not sure; stolen Bitcoins are spent as easily as stolen cash, which is why theft of Bitcoins has been rampant.

With those risks in mind, are the fees that existing card networks and payment processors charge – Dixon’s “roughly a 2.5% tax on all transactions” – outrageous, or are we perhaps collectively subsidizing the cost of fraud prevention and regulatory compliance? In what plausible universe will legitimate Bitcoin transactions be allowed to take place without such protections, and thereby without the associated costs? (Incidentally, you can expect to pay a similar “tax” just to reclaim some semblance of the anonymity that Bitcoin fails to provide in the form of mixers, a zingy term for money laundering.) To be sure, the credit card companies have fattened their margins beyond the raw cost of moving money around, but we have a miraculous salve for this called regulation.

If Bitcoin’s strength comes from decentralization, why pour millions into a single company? Ah, because Coinbase provides an “accessible interface to the Bitcoin protocol”, we’re told. We must centralize to decentralize, you see; such is the perverse logic of capital co-opting power. In order for Bitcoin to grow a thriving ecosystem, it apparently needs a US-based, VC-backed company that has “worked closely with banks and regulators to ensure that the service is safe and compliant”.

And Coinbase certainly feels, uh, compliant. It took me over a week to use the service to turn US dollars into a fraction of a Bitcoin, an experience that coupled the bureaucratic tedium of legacy consumer financial services with the cold mechanization of notoriously customer-hostile PayPal, but with the exciting twist that I have no idea from moment to moment how much my shiny new Internet money is actually worth.
Magical Thinking

While most of the claims around Bitcoin are merely wince-inducing, there is one that deserves particular attention: that Bitcoin is “a way to offer low-cost financial services to people who, because of financial or political constraints, don’t have them today.”

Economic inequality is perhaps the defining issue of our age, as trumpeted by everyone from the TED crowd to the Pope. Our culture is fixated on inequality, and rightly so. From science fiction futures to Woody Allen character sketches, we’re simultaneously alarmed and paralyzingly transfixed by the disappearance of our middle class. A story about young people dying in competition with one another just to continue lives of quiet desperation isn’t radical left-wing journalism, it’s the pop fiction on every teenager’s nightstand and in every cinema right now.

With this backdrop of looming poverty, nobody can reasonably deny that the euphemistically “underbanked” are in desperate need of financial services that empower them to participate fully in the global economy without fear of exploitation. What’s unclear is the role that Bitcoin or a similar cryptocurrency could play in rectifying this dire situation.

The push toward Bitcoin comes largely from the libertarian portion of the technology community who believe that regulation stands in the way of both progress and profit. Unfortunately, this alarmingly magical thinking has little basis in economic reality. The gradual dismantling of much of the US and international financial regulatory safety net is now regarded as a major catalyst for the Great Recession. The “financial or political constraints” many of the underbanked find themselves in are the result of unchecked predatory capitalism, not a symptom of a terminal lack of software.

Silicon Valley has a seemingly endless capacity to mistake social and political problems for technological ones, and Bitcoin is just the latest example of this selective blindness. The underbanked will not be lifted out of poverty by conducting their meager daily business in a cryptocurrency rather than a fiat currency, even if Bitcoin or its ilk manages to reduce marginal transaction costs (at scale and in full regulatory compliance, that is). But then, we should note that Dixon wasn’t talking about lifting anyone out of poverty, just “offer[ing them] low-cost financial services”. Also notable is that both Andreessen and Horowitz supported Mitt Romney’s failed presidential bid, giving us some insight into the likely level of concern for economic inequality around Dixon’s office.

In Bitcoin, the Valley sees another PayPal and the associated fat exit, but ideally without the annoying costs of policing fraud and handling chargebacks this time around. Bankers in New York and London see opportunities for cryptocurrency market-making. International investors see the potential for arbitrage and are taking advantage of cheap electricity, bringing the environmental destruction of real-world mining to the brave new world of digital money.

In other words: Bitcoin represents more of the same short-sighted hypercapitalism that got us into this mess, minus the accountability. No wonder that many of the same culprits are diving eagerly into the mining pool.
Moving Past The Failed Techno-Libertarian Agenda

For the past few months I’ve been giving a talk, informed largely by feedback on my post about the tradeoffs of joining startups earlier this year. The talk delves into the history of Silicon Valley and venture capital, tying past to present. Though I cover a lot of ground in a short sprint, I hope my message is clear: that the dominant socio-political ideology of Silicon Valley has failed to deliver sustainable profits to the broader investor class while technological innovation has slowed and jobs have dried up. It’s time for new thinking.

Bitcoin is not without its left-wing supporters, but I think it’s safe to say the currency has mostly proven to be a rallying point for those who see the state and central banks as little more than obstacles to a libertarian techno-utopia, a worldview perhaps best captured in The Californian Ideology. In this sense, Bitcoin is ready-made for a cultural moment when Silicon Valley ideologues are discussing plans for a new opt-in techno-centric society and sliding so far right that a return to monarchy is on their table.

Working in technology has an element of pioneering, and with new frontiers come those would prefer to leave civilization behind. But in a time of growing inequality, we need technology that preserves and renews the civilization we already have. The first step in this direction is for technologists to engage with the experiences and struggles of those outside their industry and community. There’s a big, wide, increasingly poor world out there, and it doesn’t need 99% of what Silicon Valley is selling.

I’ve enjoyed the thought experiment of Bitcoin as much as the next nerd, but it’s time to dispense with the opportunism and adolescent fantasies of a crypto-powered stateless future and return to the work of building technology and social services that meaningfully and accountably improve our collective quality of life.
Disclaimers

First off, thanks to everyone who read an early draft of this post.

I wrote the vast majority of this post before today’s sizable Bitcoin crash, for what it’s worth (and, honestly, from moment to moment, who knows?).

At time of writing, I own a fraction of one Bitcoin. A portion of that was mined on a laptop several years ago as part of the Deepbit pool. More recently, I purchased some BTC with US dollars on Coinbase. I own this small amount of BTC because I’m largely in the “Bitcoin is a worthwhile but flawed experiment” camp, and I wanted to try using the currency for my personal edification. Several readers asked me to be harsher and more conclusive on the economic fundamentals of Bitcoin. I chose not to out of deference to the experimental potential I saw in the project, warts and all. Bitcoin’s, er, creative take on economics and monetary theory is well dealt-with elsewhere.

I was previously CTO at online banking service Simple. While that experience has informed my thinking on the role of technology in consumer finance, I am not aware of Simple’s strategy with regard to Bitcoin and this post should not be construed as representing the opinions or direction of that company.

I am on hiatus from Twitter through the winter holidays. If you would like a response to any comment about this post, please email me.

— December 18, 2013

https://al3x.net/2013/12/18/bitcoin.html
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 04:36:14 PM

I'm going to be feeling extremely smug about people like this 5 years from now.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:43:54 PM

I started a thread in the Discussion sub-forum about it. I'm still depressed about this. He's the last person I expected to go on a anti-Bitcoin rant.

Here's my thread with my response:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=377390.0

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:59:17 PM

It's noteworthy how "progressive" misguided useful idiots, emboldened by the temporary price drop, are coming out in full force:

They too must have their time to party, for another month or two, and then back to their dens when bitcoin gets out of the woods Smiley
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:27:28 PM

It would have to be a distributed fire. Not your usual centralised inferno.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:46:02 PM

Charles Stross, 48, is a full-time science fiction writer and resident of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Exactly who you would expect: pudgy liberal neckbeard stuck in his own world.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:07:56 PM

Charles Stross, 48, is a full-time science fiction writer and resident of Edinburgh, Scotland.

You would think with that beard he'd want to keep any fires away at a safe distance.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:22:57 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2013, 09:45:59 PM by marcus_of_augustus

The FUD versus the Force.

I love these pieces for the seething rage that boils through it, the rage of the defeated and ignorant. They don't even know what hit them, they reel, they rant, yet notice they do not engage in meaningful logic or god forbid provide alternate coding and/or complete systems.

Implicitly they know that they have lost on the merits of the technology itself and there is not one thing they can do about it, the rage comes from the hopelessness, they now find that their world view has been completely and utterly undermined and trashed.

In the war for ideas, Bitcoin, and the brilliant illumination it provides to the philosophy of monetary freedom has just nuked statist 'progressive liberalism' back the to dark ages, from whence it came.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 09:27:19 PM

The FUD versus the Force.

I love these pieces for the seething rage that boils through it, the rage of the defeated and ignorant. They don't even know what hit them, they reel, they rant, yet notice they do not engage in meaningful logic or god forbid provide alternate coding and/or complete systems.

Implicitly they know that they have lost on the merits of the technology itself and there is not one thing they can do about it, the rage comes from the hopelessness, they now find that their world view has been completely and utterly undermined and trashed.

In the war for ideas, Bitcoin, and the illumination it provides to the philosophy of monetary freedom has just nuked statist 'progressive liberalism' back the to dark ages, from whence it came.
Great post!

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:19:43 PM

Stross released a book this fall that included bitcoins as an element of a galactic economy.  It was an interesting idea.

The book was a total turd.

Stross is probably very bitter that thousands of bitcoiners didn't create a buzz for his book and make it a bestseller.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:49:05 PM

Stross released a book this fall that included bitcoins as an element of a galactic economy.  It was an interesting idea.

The book was a total turd.

Stross is probably very bitter that thousands of bitcoiners didn't create a buzz for his book and make it a bestseller.

... talking through his pocket, interesting theory.

deltanine

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:20:05 PM

I'm going to be feeling extremely smug about people like this 5 years from now.

Just forget it.  Even in five years if Bitcoin is worth 50k these guys will be saying, "See!  I told you it would never reach 100,000!"

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
Lala

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:22:51 PM

Just another person who missed the train.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:27:11 AM

I started a thread in the Discussion sub-forum about it. I'm still depressed about this.

I don't see any need to be depressed. I will never lose my faith in Bitcoin, and therefore I will ignore idiots such as Stross. Perhaps he is trying to achieve some publicity, even if it is massively negative in nature.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:01:51 AM

Who cares? We need volunteers to be...

Grin

bitbouillion

Activity: 868
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 05:03:29 AM

honestly i think he is just upset he did not mine sooner :/

Actually that is embarrassing for a full-time science fiction writer.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:27:13 PM

I started a thread in the Discussion sub-forum about it. I'm still depressed about this.

I don't see any need to be depressed. I will never lose my faith in Bitcoin, and therefore I will ignore idiots such as Stross. Perhaps he is trying to achieve some publicity, even if it is massively negative in nature.

Well, that's the thing. I thought he was intelligent enough not to get stuck in a common "status quo" mental trap. That's for people who argue small trivialities like they matter, not for someone that has the ability to sketch out entire worlds from words, to entertain and create characters. I thought that imagination would have him revving on how Bitcoin could transform the world, not using his abilities to pick it apart.

With every passing year, I find another reason to be disappointed in humanity, I really didn't need someone that I admire as an author and general geek to join the "Idiocracy" club. Hell, why doesn't he just abandon Sci-Fi all together and just start writing political manifestos. I'm just completely aghast about his utter lack of comprehension on the subject, his pig-headed shortsightedness, and his general stick-in-the-mud closed minded attitude about one of the most important innovations in computing history.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: