Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:16:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Hedge Funds will not throw money into BTC  (Read 1718 times)
pbody (OP)

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:43:59 PM

My theory is that hedge funds are not going to throw money into BTC anytime soon.

Having worked in IT for 6 years at one of the top 5 hedge fund companies, I learned how they operate. Basically, they DO NOT take risks! BTC is just too volatile for them to invest in. They may have one or two guys in the Value department looking at BTC and keeping an eye on it to see where the future may lead, but I am pretty certain they are not going to make any large investments, if any at all. People get fired all the time for even suggesting risky trades and for coming across as "gambling". I once asked a trader what he thought of investing in stem cells and he laughed saying they wouldn't even consider it being that its way too volatile, and as we know BTC is insanely volatile. What they would do is play with the arbitrage opportunities which may explain all the money going through China. There is basically no risk in doing that.

Anyway, this is just my .02. Im not a trader, though I do understand certain things having studied finance at one point. I wish I knew what I know now while I was working there. I do know their trades are very conservative and right now the chance for loss in BTC is too great. Clients would get concerned.

The smaller start-up funds in the industry could jump in to BTC, but I just cant see the big whales getting involved anytime soon unless more arbitrage opportunities pop up.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:46:24 PM

My theory is that hedge funds are not going to throw money into BTC anytime soon.

Having worked in IT for 6 years at one of the top 5 hedge fund companies, I learned how they operate. Basically, they DO NOT take risks! BTC is just too volatile for them to invest in. They may have one or two guys in the Value department looking at BTC and keeping an eye on it to see where the future may lead, but I am pretty certain they are not going to make any large investments, if any at all. People get fired all the time for even suggesting risky trades and for coming across as "gambling". I once asked a trader what he thought of investing in stem cells and he laughed saying they wouldn't even consider it being that its way too volatile, and as we know BTC is insanely volatile. What they would do is play with the arbitrage opportunities which may explain all the money going through China. There is basically no risk in doing that.

Anyway, this is just my .02. Im not a trader, though I do understand certain things having studied finance at one point. I wish I knew what I know now while I was working there. I do know their trades are very conservative and right now the chance for loss in BTC is too great. Clients would get concerned.

The smaller start-up funds in the industry could jump in to BTC, but I just cant see the big whales getting involved anytime soon unless more arbitrage opportunities pop up.

You don't think some would want in at $300? I mean the charts are there for all to see and it looks like Bitcoin is going to be regulated as an asset unless something weird happens.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:51:06 PM

I was under the impression that Hedge funds were already putting money into BTC.

I know of a couple which are in the process of getting approval to set one up entirely dedicated to BTC.

-Burger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:53:38 PM

I was under the impression that Hedge funds were already putting money into BTC.

I know of a couple which are in the process of getting approval to set one up entirely dedicated to BTC.

-Burger-

Stem cells and bitcoin are not comparable. Hedge funds will make small % portfolio buys because of the risk reward potential.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 05:57:20 PM

That's weird.  All the people I know in hedge funds make lots of risky investments.  Because they don't have huge obligations to transparency, it's hard to tell how most of them are actually functioning.

What you're describing is more classical mutual funds/general investment firms, not something like BlackStone's BAAM.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:05:10 PM

Hedge fund managers rather spend your money on hoes and drugs....True story....

They're living a dream, spending others money.
pbody (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:22:03 PM

What you're describing is more classical mutual funds/general investment firms, not something like BlackStone's BAAM.

Could be. I worked for a place like DE Shaw, Black Rock, or Davidson Kempner Capital.

Hedge fund managers rather spend your money on hoes and drugs....True story....

They're living a dream, spending others money.

True. One of the managers fits this description. Though the rest do not.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
dopamine

Activity: 486

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:50:09 PM

Sounds like another Troll giving his .02 cent... how many hedge funds are already taking this so called "risky" investment?

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
Satyre_Noir

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:40:47 PM

Exante is hedge fund based in Malta, apparently they like volatility.
pbody (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:56:32 PM

Sounds like another Troll giving his .02 cent... how many hedge funds are already taking this so called "risky" investment?

I just do not see huge money coming from large investment firms having experienced the climate they operate in. I do feel confident that there will be a price jump from smaller-medium size investors in the coming six months or so and I keep buying at low prices.

pbody (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:59:29 PM

Exante is hedge fund based in Malta, apparently they like volatility.

they are a "smaller start up fund".

humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:01:46 PM

I agree with OP, hedge funds would never touch something so risky!

The Bitcoin Fund which is traded exclusively on the EXANTE fund platform and was launched in late 2012 is the best performing hedge fund year to date (2013) with a return of 4847% (Source: Bloomberg). The Bitcoin Fund has now secured its place in financial history as never before such an exceptional result has been achieved by a fund of its kind.

WHOOPS

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:09:23 PM

Ever heard of combining different assets together reduce risk and volatility while maximizing returns? Consider this for example invest 95% in short term US treasury bills and 5% in Bitcoin. The combined return in terms of USD will exceed that of many hedge funds while the risk and volatility in terms of USD will actually be well below.

Edit: The above is the reason why many hedge funds will take a serious look at Bitcoin for a small percentage of their assets.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Satyre_Noir

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:17:50 PM

Ever heard of combining different assets together reduce risk and volatility while maximizing returns? Consider this for example invest 95% in short term US treasury bills and 5% in Bitcoin. The combined return in terms of USD will exceed that of many hedge funds while the risk and volatility in terms of USD will actually be well below.

Edit: The above is the reason why many hedge funds will take a serious look at Bitcoin for a small percentage of their assets.

+1

#PBody- size of fund is unimportant if you have good strategy to secure profit.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:19:52 PM

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
pbody (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:35:22 PM

not an employee. I was an IT contractor.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:41:50 PM

pbody: you mentioned that hedge funds may be interested in arbitrage opportunities, and I agree.  An interesting property of bitcoin is that they would need to take a position in it in order to arbitrage.  The more arbitrage they do, the more bitcoin they need, and the more they boost the price. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:41:43 PM

I also didn't think wall street, or hedge funds would jump into bitcoins any time soon. It just seemed to risky.

First, all the exchanges etc. are far too risky to hold any significant amounts of money in. They are also slow as hell, I Just lost hundreds today in potential profits because stupid bitcoin took way too long to confirm a transaction.

Bitcoins I would think would also be highly unsafe to deal in. Imagine someone internally just transferring out all those bitcoins into anon coin, then transferring them to another coin, and mixing it up until their is no trace. Hedge funds would have to take serious security measures here, its not like trading in fiat which is much more safer.

It could happen, but bitcoins are in no shape or form ready for serious money from wall street. I just don't see it.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Satyre_Noir

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:48:00 PM

. Imagine someone internally just transferring out all those bitcoins into anon coin, then transferring them to another coin, and mixing it up until their is no trace.

How somebody would mix anon coin with bitcoin?
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:57:58 PM

not an employee. I was an IT contractor.

i feel for you, that must have been hard.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: