Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 07:25:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How are addresses kept unique?  (Read 446 times)
hjordan (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:28:28 PM

How does bitcoinaddress.org generate unique addresses when it's used offline because it can't be checking a database of addresses to check it's not generating a duplicate address?
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 06:31:21 PM

How does bitcoinaddress.org generate unique addresses when it's used offline because it can't be checking a database of addresses to check it's not generating a duplicate address?
I don't think offline/online has anything to do with it.

All addresses are created in a pseudorandom manner and don't check that they already exist.
Its just very unlikely two address will be generated that are the same.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
tunctioncloud

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 06:33:44 PM

Generating duplicate address is unlikely, unless the random function is flawed
If you could generate already existing address in blockchain with Bitcoins siting there, you could spend the Bitcoins
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: