Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:11:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Edward Snowden doesn’t show up once in Google’s list of top 2013 searches  (Read 698 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:09:46 PM

Google Trends - Trending Top Trending, 2013, Global

1.Nelson Mandela
2.Paul Walker
3.iPhone 5s
4.Cory Monteith
5.Harlem Shake
6.Boston Marathon
7.Royal Baby
8.Samsung Galaxy S4
9.PlayStation 4
10.North Korea

Google Trends - Trending People, 2013, Global

1.Nelson Mandela
2.Paul Walker
3.Malala Yousafzai
4.James Gandolfini
5.Miley Cyrus
6.Oscar Pistorius
7.Jennifer Lawrence
8.Aaron Hernandez
9.Charlie Hunnam
10.Adrian Peterson

Google Trends - Trending Events, 2013, Global.

1.Boston Marathon
2.Typhoon Haiyan
3.Government Shutdown
4.2014 FIFA World Cup
5.Chinese New Year
6.Australian Open
7.Eurovision Song Contest
8.Wimbledon
9.Syria Conflict
10.EuroBasket

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/12/17/edward-snowden-doesnt-show-up-once-in-googles-list-of-top-2013-searches/
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xkeyscore89

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:40:53 PM

That's because he's a flash in the pan.  He didn't even work for the NSA, he worked for a contractor. Any information he's entrusted to that Glenn Greenwald that has yet to be released, the NSA is already aware of.  The NSA monitors all contract agencies and delegate work to them which may be classified, but issues of national security remain within agency.

He's not a hero but I don't consider him a criminal either.  He gave people a blurry glimpse into the NSA's activities and now he's stuck doing IT work in Moscow.  He'll never be able to leave Russia for the rest of his life unless a future president offers him a pardon. I don't think I'm the only person who already suspected the information in the Snowden links had been happening for a long time.

Was it worth it, Ed?  You haven't changed shit, you've only generated discussions and a recent federal ruling disapproving of NSA spying techniques.  Here's the thing, no amount of legislation short of the FISA court has any authority in telling the NSA what to do.  Even going through that channel is a formality, FISA normally approves all surveillance requests presented.

The NSA's intelligence programs saves thousands of lives every year, foreign and domestic, from dangerous situations that you'll never hear about.  This doesn't mean I approve of domestic data collection but since it can't be stopped, I choose to focus on defending myself from it when engaging in activities that are legally questionable and given that I'm a citizen, there's not much to worry about.

I won't trade security for privacy, instead, I'll take the security while continually refining strategies to protect my privacy.

This is what everyone who is worried about the NSA should really be worried about:

Local police departments have access to something called a Stingray, a $400,000 device that collects "tower dumps", information collected by a targeted cell tower or towers during a specified time frame, providing data on all traffic relayed through the tower. Numbers, dates, times, speech, text messages.  It can even set up a sort of honeypot cell tower, tricking all devices in a certain radius to connect to it by default before the signal is relayed to a real cell tower.  The equivalent of multiple real-time wireless wiretaps.  This is what I want to protect myself against, not the NSA.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 07:57:13 PM

That's because he's a flash in the pan.  He didn't even work for the NSA, he worked for a contractor. Any information he's entrusted to that Glenn Greenwald that has yet to be released, the NSA is already aware of.  The NSA monitors all contract agencies and delegate work to them which may be classified, but issues of national security remain within agency.

He's not a hero but I don't consider him a criminal either.  He gave people a blurry glimpse into the NSA's activities and now he's stuck doing IT work in Moscow.  He'll never be able to leave Russia for the rest of his life unless a future president offers him a pardon. I don't think I'm the only person who already suspected the information in the Snowden links had been happening for a long time.

Was it worth it, Ed?  You haven't changed shit, you've only generated discussions and a recent federal ruling disapproving of NSA spying techniques.  Here's the thing, no amount of legislation short of the FISA court has any authority in telling the NSA what to do.  Even going through that channel is a formality, FISA normally approves all surveillance requests presented.

The NSA's intelligence programs saves thousands of lives every year, foreign and domestic, from dangerous situations that you'll never hear about.  This doesn't mean I approve of domestic data collection but since it can't be stopped, I choose to focus on defending myself from it when engaging in activities that are legally questionable and given that I'm a citizen, there's not much to worry about.

I won't trade security for privacy, instead, I'll take the security while continually refining strategies to protect my privacy.

This is what everyone who is worried about the NSA should really be worried about:

Local police departments have access to something called a Stingray, a $400,000 device that collects "tower dumps", information collected by a targeted cell tower or towers during a specified time frame, providing data on all traffic relayed through the tower. Numbers, dates, times, speech, text messages.  It can even set up a sort of honeypot cell tower, tricking all devices in a certain radius to connect to it by default before the signal is relayed to a real cell tower.  The equivalent of multiple real-time wireless wiretaps.  This is what I want to protect myself against, not the NSA.

I want to protect myself from 24+ font size.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:11:21 PM

This is what everyone who is worried about the NSA should really be worried about: Local police departments have access to something called a Stingray, a $400,000 device that collects "tower dumps", information collected by a targeted cell tower or towers during a specified time frame, providing data on all traffic relayed through the tower. Numbers, dates, times, speech, text messages. It can even set up a sort of honeypot cell tower, tricking all devices in a certain radius to connect to it by default before the signal is relayed to a real cell tower. The equivalent of multiple real-time wireless wiretaps. This is what I want to protect myself against, not the NSA.
I want to protect myself from 24+ font size.

Done.
Rainbow Text Created at http://freebitcoinfaucet.com/bbcode

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:29:51 PM

Thank you  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: