Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:34:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: China - Back to #1 in BTC bought, #2 in overall volume. What???  (Read 5310 times)
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:25:55 PM

I don't get this, if there is a suspension on bringing money into Chinese Bitcoin exchanges, how is China up there with Gox regarding Volume? http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/
And, China is #1 with BTC purchases, just watch Fiatleak. I've had it going for a while and right now it is showing 37,500 BTC buys in CNY and 8600 in USD. http://fiatleak.com/
And of note, when the news was first made a couple of days ago, fiatleak showed 1 BTC bought. Then yesterday it just started going crazy again.

Ideas?

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:30:33 PM

Right, because until people actually move money off the exchange, to the point of no return, most trading can resume as normal. The real consequence to the deposit ban will be a gradual decline in volume as the money that is withdrawn cannot be replaced by money moving in.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:40:43 PM

I wonder why MTGox volume differs from what I see here: https://bitcoinaverage.com/#USD

The rest seem to be more or less the same.
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 08:44:08 PM

I don't get this, if there is a suspension on bringing money into Chinese Bitcoin exchanges, how is China up there with Gox regarding Volume? http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/
And, China is #1 with BTC purchases, just watch Fiatleak. I've had it going for a while and right now it is showing 37,500 BTC buys in CNY and 8600 in USD. http://fiatleak.com/
And of note, when the news was first made a couple of days ago, fiatleak showed 1 BTC bought. Then yesterday it just started going crazy again.

Ideas?

IAS

maybe it was all a ploy and a huge conspiracy involving btcchina, banks, government figures to buy bitcoin for cheap, who knows. It indeed is kind of weird i personally expected prices to go sideway for at least a week but here we are back to 700$+ in no time and chinese buying on the rise. I think the next week or so things will be more clear.

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:21:09 PM

0.3400 and 0.3000 BTC traded the last two minutes http://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/btcchina/btccny
I watched fiatleak last nite and 90% of all coins went to china at 4 in the morning beijing time?
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:28:41 PM

Right, because until people actually move money off the exchange, to the point of no return, most trading can resume as normal. The real consequence to the deposit ban will be a gradual decline in volume as the money that is withdrawn cannot be replaced by money moving in.

Perhaps that is true but then we have a bigger issue, or rather the Chinese government does - It doesn't look like people are selling their BTC's anymore. They aren't moving that money off of the exchanges, rather they are moving more money back into BTC.

When and if fiat dries up on the exchanges, the demand is there, and the people will find other ways to buy BTC is my bet. Remember, the government hasn't made it illegal. And we don't even yet know
their intentions. Will banks be doing the deposits back into the exchanges as the announcement implied and no longer 3rd party's? Will we see bitcoin.de escrow like sites set up? Will we see squares set up where people are buying them from one another? It looks like the government is just trying to slow things down and not stop BTC.

BTC's price before China got involved was $150-$200 or so. Considering we are around $700 now, the next few weeks will be very telling. Demand is going up, news stories abound - we don't "need" the Chinese but of course they would help in a huge way and in many ways as I alluded to above.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
viajero

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:32:16 PM

as far as i know, fiatleak is bullshit. for every transaction they show the amount o BTC bought, regardless the price. so it will always show BTCs flowing in, no matter if everybody is selling...
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:35:19 PM

as far as i know, fiatleak is bullshit. for every transaction they show the amount o BTC bought, regardless the price. so it will always show BTCs flowing in, no matter if everybody is selling...

Well if someone sold, than someone bough right? I think that volume shown is just BTC changing hands inside btcchina. Ppl that didint withdraw their fiat are buying BTC from ppl that want to withdraw.

viajero

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:54:26 PM

Well if someone sold, than someone bough right? I think that volume shown is just BTC changing hands inside btcchina. [...]

sure! thats what i meant and thats why fiatleak is senseless!
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 09:58:18 PM

Well if someone sold, than someone bough right? I think that volume shown is just BTC changing hands inside btcchina. [...]

Agree.  Fiat leak would make a lot more sense if it tracked deposits into and out of exchanges worldwide.  But this isn't publicly-available information. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
black_swan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:53:42 PM

Agree.  Fiat leak would make a lot more sense if it tracked deposits into and out of exchanges worldwide.  But this isn't publicly-available information. 

Exactly, the data doesn't represent the fiat actually flowing in
Also it can be manipulated, the last thing Bobby Lee wants is to make people freak out and be short of a few millions
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:29:27 PM

=China is #1 with BTC purchases
High volumes doesn't mean there are more or less bitcoins going into or out of China.

Bitcoins aren't bought or sold, but traded. For every single BTC that is traded on BTCChina, one Chinese gains +1 bitcoin and another Chinese loses -1 bitcoin.

Obviously, people also trade on other exchanges and then bring their bitcoins into China, but that's purely Bitcoin traffic. You can't measure that from any exchange's trading volume.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
skovbitcoin

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 11:44:15 PM

Exactly, the data doesn't represent the fiat actually flowing in
Also it can be manipulated, the last thing Bobby Lee wants is to make people freak out and be short of a few millions

Manipulated by BTCChina or by whales?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2013, 11:55:46 PM

welcome to the crazy bitcoin-world  Grin

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:26:38 AM

Now that High up Communist Party officials own millions of dollars of bitcoin, they can declare it official currency and dump the dollar!

more or less retired.
viajero

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:34:59 AM

Now that High up Communist Party officials own millions of dollars of bitcoin, they can declare it official currency and dump the dollar!

yeah, that's very smart. dump 3,557,006 million (3,5 trillion) in exchange for a couple of millions... Roll Eyes
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:31:11 AM

This isnt true.  Exchanges don't actually send coins through the blockchain for every transaction. 
ceyre

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:39:21 AM

Lots of yuen stuck in the exchanges, I presume.
viajero

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:13:50 AM

This isnt true.  Exchanges don't actually send coins through the blockchain for every transaction.  

this is very true, fiatleak is getting their data from the exchange APIs I suppose, not from the blockchain:

Each trade results in a bitcoin being sent from the currency counter in red to the country on the map. - Data from MT.GOX, BITSTAMP, BTCChina, BTC-E, Bit2c, Mercado Bitcoin BR, Local Bitcoins, OKCoin, BTCTrade

fiatleak ist just some toy for kids. and not a very good one for that part...
Its About Sharing (OP)
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 07:17:55 AM

It is a bit simplistic to say that for every BTC bought there is one sold. You can say that is what took us from $1 to $1200. But that would be incomplete.
The greater question and I'm not sure if Fiatleak considers this, is "Were the BTC bought at ask or sold at the bid?"
Obviously, the rally the last few days consisted mostly of the bullish former.

Anyway, let's hope the Chinese figure it out.  Grin

BTC = Black Swan.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: