Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:10:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EVERY Coin should have a paper wallet.  (Read 686 times)
BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 01:59:45 AM

I really don't understand why isn't there more urgency/need/desire from people for a paper wallet to be standard feature that comes along with a coin.

I personally trust paper more than i trust a digital medium.

I just visited a Worldcoin paper wallet site and there is no option to download the source from Github for instance. That would be desirable feature and because of this i'm not even going to use it if I can't download it to an offline computer.

Devs develop all kinds of useful and less useful and marginaly useful stuff for a coin. Why not this? I thought it was a must, is it not?
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:07:23 AM

A paper wallet is just your private and public keys written on a piece of paper.  Anyone can do this with any coin today.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:08:22 AM

I really don't understand why isn't there more urgency/need/desire from people for a paper wallet to be standard feature that comes along with a coin.

I personally trust paper more than i trust a digital medium.

I just visited a Worldcoin paper wallet site and there is no option to download the source from Github for instance. That would be desirable feature and because of this i'm not even going to use it if I can't download it to an offline computer.

Devs develop all kinds of useful and less useful and marginaly useful stuff for a coin. Why not this? I thought it was a must, is it not?

As in ship with a printable image? What's stopping you from creating a paper wallet? Paper wallet == Public/Private Keys

BitcoinForumator (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:14:13 AM

No, I mean the version with the graphic and with other options - like the bitaddress or bitcoinpaperwallet. Printable in multi version and numbers. I got used to the bitaddress type of wallet - it's also risky but I have even less trust in a USB key storage holding for a couple of years.
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:27:11 AM

Well for someone that doesn't trust digital media, taking out a pen and paper and quickly writing down your keys will be the safest thing to do.

I haven't actually used software that will print fancy pictures beside my keys, but I suspect that any program that works for bitcoin will work for most other coins.  The structure of the .dat files don't usually change.

For QR codes, there are a lot of apps for generating those as well.
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 02:28:19 AM

I never saved any NameCoins because it does not have paper wallet as well... I exchanged all to Bitcoin instead
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: