Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:44:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: pool hopping questions  (Read 2355 times)
scatterbrain (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 01:30:05 AM

so i read the paper and understand the idea but what i want to know is, given the fact you gain 28% more potential BTC with 2 pools, how long does it actually take for the variance of hopping to settle down and produce that extra 28% on average? or more likely to correlate with real world statistics, to even be within 5%, 10%, 25% of it, again on average? or better yet, if there are n number of pools, how long does it take your average BTC to be within a given range of the potential gain for n pools?

there are probably several other variables that need to be defined to answer this like pool speed, difficulty, and others i'm not sure of. but if anyone could just plug in some example values based off current conditions or values and write an equation to express this or graph it i would be really interested to see the results. if something like this has been done just point me in that direction. hopefully i expressed this clearly enough
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lucita777

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 01:53:28 AM

I don't have the numbers from the top of my head, but in the bithopper thread there is quite a lot posts about theoretical/real world statistics and about variance and options how to reduce it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=26866

The thread is quite long and not very organized, so it might be rather time consuming to search through it. However you have a good chance of finding some answers to your questions there.
scatterbrain (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 02:09:50 AM

yes that thread is quite long and unorganized, but i've been through most of it and can't recall seeing anything quite along the line of what i'm looking for. and if i missed it, well, i really don't want to re read 200 pages. thank you for the advice though.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 04:27:04 AM

There is a lot to consider.  Consider that I have moved most of my hashing off of pools that are susceptible to hopping, and that others will too.  Right now pool hopping gives you an advantage (and takes it from others who do not know or understand that their pool is being hopped)  Read the threads below and see if your pool is mentioned (as being a good pool to take advantage of) and consider writing the owner, and if no changes are made, leaving.  If you are not hopping, and on a pool that is being used by hoppers, you are probably loosing BTC.

check out the bithopper thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=26866.0

and the cherrypicking thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33031.0

scatterbrain (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:54:50 AM

while you are right about a hopper mining more BTC than a non hopper, that doesn't answer my question.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 08:21:04 PM

I think in the end the payout variance would be the same as with "standard" mining + depending on the block solving rate of the pool(s) you're hopping.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 08:52:08 PM

(and takes it from others who do not know or understand that their pool is being hopped)

BULLSHIT.
They get every bit of expected value. Show me one damn person whoses shares got stolen by a hopper.

The pools say they will pay (your shares/total shares) * 50 and ABSOLUTELY everyone gets that. Hoppers and non hoppers a like. You can put in your shares and see you get every penny due to you.

THEY ARE REALLY ACTUALLY PISSED CAUSE HOPPERS LEAVE WHEN IT ISNT PROFITABLE FOR THEM TO STAY.

Almost no pool has stated rules against hoppers.

And it isnt differnt than people mining BTC when it is profitable and then stopping when the price drops to $6 and then starting again when it hits $10

It is no different than the people jumping on namecoin when it is more profitable then bitcoin and then leaving when it isnt.

it is no different than those who jump on ixcoin or i0coin when they are insanely profitable.

Tell me.. if bitcoin drops to 1 penny a coin, will you stop mining? WELL THEN YOU ARE A DIRTY HOPPER.

WE are following stated rules. NOT A GOD DAMN COIN Gets stolen from anyone. People make less value cause they stay when it is no longer profitable and then get pissed at the people who leave.

Very true, you have to watch the rules of the game, and choose wisely.. just like in ANY DAMN GAME. And people who know how to play better than you will. And in any game of profit, people will look for ways to maximize their profits. AS long as they are following the rules, they arent theives, and more than someone who challenges you for stepping across the line in bowling or complains when you clean your ball in golf.. when you would never due such a thing cause you arent that picky.

DOnt be an ignorant , be pissed at the rules and the payout methods, not the people who follow them to their maximal potential. Now I'm going to go hop back onto I0coin cause it is making more money than me than bitcoin.. sorry to all the bitcoin miners who are staying behind.. i;m not stealing shit from you guys either.

mooo for rent
MrWizard

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 09:00:00 PM

so i read the paper and understand the idea but what i want to know is, given the fact you gain 28% more potential BTC with 2 pools, how long does it actually take for the variance of hopping to settle down and produce that extra 28% on average? or more likely to correlate with real world statistics, to even be within 5%, 10%, 25% of it, again on average? or better yet, if there are n number of pools, how long does it take your average BTC to be within a given range of the potential gain for n pools?

there are probably several other variables that need to be defined to answer this like pool speed, difficulty, and others i'm not sure of. but if anyone could just plug in some example values based off current conditions or values and write an equation to express this or graph it i would be really interested to see the results. if something like this has been done just point me in that direction. hopefully i expressed this clearly enough

I can tell you for a fact that variance is variable!  You will never "settle down" to a steady 28%.  Your income will go up and your income will go down.  Mine has and so will yours.

"I walked into the room dripping in Bitcoins.  Yea dripping in Bitcoins."
(BTC) 168DCCeGmDy3xTWRimLVhvKtK3yEWbpsSg     (LTC) LbYS8VFqFSU7B9bfaHD11seQMtrtYEKpLe
(BBQ) bNVZErvwLzpEG7H3kt1fycWspzRQB1MJzL
scatterbrain (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:13:00 AM

i realize i will never hit that 28% mark, at least not consistently, but how long until i come with a certain percentage of it on average? surely someone on this forum has the math skills to come up with some numbers. let's say there are two pools, both are proportional payouts and mine at 100 Gh/s each. say my rig mines at 1 Gh/s. maybe i get 1.2 BTC one day and .3 BTC the next day and so on back and forth...given a constant difficulty, how many days, months or years before that daily BTC i mine will always keep my total average BTC mined within a certain percentage of that ideal 28% increased gain? i am still asking my original question, just trying to reword it and fill in some blanks.

is this simply a ridiculous question to begin with? can it even be answered? pool hopping seems to be quite a hot topic and to me this seems like one of the most logical first questions someone would ask. i know hopping makes me more BTC than not hopping, and i know the theoretical maximum is 28% more for 2 pools, but what is a real world average gain?

and as much as i am pro hopping, i would love if we could keep this thread strictly to the math and leave opinions in the ethical hopping thread.
lucita777

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:31:10 AM

After several days of hopped mining my efficiency for different pools are as follows: 102%, 113%, 57%, 180%, 145%, 109%, 143%, 100%.
Your number may be higher or lower, who knows. But this should give you some information.
scatterbrain (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:33:36 AM

how exactly is the efficiency calculated?
lucita777

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:43:05 AM

Effective share value = BTC pool balance / number of shares submitted to the pool
Expected share value = 50/difficulty

Efficiency = Effective share value / Expected share value

This formula does not take into consideration luck involved with mining.
scatterbrain (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 07:27:29 AM

so how would you calculate the maximum possible efficiency for a given number of pools?
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 09:38:54 PM

so how would you calculate the maximum possible efficiency for a given number of pools?

Kind of a nonsense question. The maximum possible efficiency would be if one pool consistently found a block immediately when you submitted a share, and your share was the only share counted. That's for any number of pools (because you would never hop off pool 1).

You need other parameters to bound maximum possible below 100%.
scatterbrain (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:13:53 PM

that is a nonsense question. i confused myself between efficiency and potential gain from hopping. what i meant to ask was, what is the potential BTC gain of hopping among a given number of pools? 2 pools increases my gain by a possible 28% extra BTC. does each additional pool simply add another 28% potential gain? so 3 pools is 56%, 4 pools is 84% and so on?
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 12:07:09 AM

Meni's paper on pool payout functions already has this covered (see the "Pool" subforum, somewhere on page 3 or so).

[Tycho]

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2011, 10:21:05 PM

(and takes it from others who do not know or understand that their pool is being hopped)
BULLSHIT.
They get every bit of expected value. Show me one damn person whoses shares got stolen by a hopper.
The pools say they will pay (your shares/total shares) * 50 and ABSOLUTELY everyone gets that. Hoppers and non hoppers a like. You can put in your shares and see you get every penny due to you.
Where do those additional coins come from ? :)

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net - Both payment schemes (including PPS), instant payout, no invalid blocks !
ICBIT Trading platform : USD/BTC futures trading, Bitcoin difficulty futures (NEW!). Third year in bitcoin business.
scatterbrain (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 10:46:30 PM

Meni's paper on pool payout functions already has this covered (see the "Pool" subforum, somewhere on page 3 or so).

this is exactly what i was looking for, thank you.
Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 04:37:48 AM

BULLSHIT.
Where do those additional coins come from ? Smiley
There are no "additional coins". You can earn more than expected because the payout system is flawed.

Everyone submitting shares past 100% of difficulty on a prop. pool is knowingly giving away shares for less than solo mining would earn. If someone does this because he/she likes to mine in pools or whatever other reason - fine! These people will however earn LESS than expected.  They don't "loose" coins however, as they knowingly submit these shares to a pool with a payout system that is known to be broken for half a year now. It is clearly stated how payout will look like, so anyone mining at a pool can know and estimate what to expect (unless stats are delayed...).

shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:47:52 PM

BULLSHIT.
Where do those additional coins come from ? Smiley
There are no "additional coins". You can earn more than expected because the payout system is flawed.

Everyone submitting shares past 100% of difficulty on a prop. pool is knowingly giving away shares for less than solo mining would earn. If someone does this because he/she likes to mine in pools or whatever other reason - fine! These people will however earn LESS than expected.  They don't "loose" coins however, as they knowingly submit these shares to a pool with a payout system that is known to be broken for half a year now. It is clearly stated how payout will look like, so anyone mining at a pool can know and estimate what to expect (unless stats are delayed...).

They lose coins compared to what they would make if there were no hoppers... It's a zero sum game.  The number of coins to go around is pretty much fixed.  If no one hopped everyone would get the same amount of coins as if everyone hopped.  Somewhere in the middle hoppers get more and non-hoppers get less. 

There's any number of convoluted rationalizations to dress it up with but the simple fact is pool-hoppers make additional profit at the cost of non-hoppers.  Sure you could argue that it's their own stupid fault.  They don't know about hopping or they do but don't know how to avoid it.  Or perhaps in rare case they just like giving coins away.  But it doesn't alter the fact that for hoppers to win there has to be non-hoppers that lose.

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: