Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:51:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at these items for a LTC mining rig - Any foreseeable problems?  (Read 506 times)
stepeato (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:18:40 AM

Hello, I found this ad on Craigslist and while they don't mention anything about mining, they have the card I want, and if im not mistaken, pretty much everything thing else I need (not buying the case, going to negotiate price on the PSU, and no SSD). 

I am no computer expert, and while im comfortable putting these components together and setting up the rig, I would like some verification from the community that I am not missing something ideal for mining (odd motherboard model, crazy ram timings?...I really dont know)

Thanks so much for any feedback, this is by far the place to be if you crave information about the worlds crytocraze.
repairguy

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 04:32:11 AM

If you are only going to mine with one card, It is pretty straightforward, However if you want to mine with several cards or expand your system later than you might be better off purchasing a motherboard that is better suited to minig.  For each rig you need

Motherboard
cpu and heatsink
ram
gpu card
power supply
some kind of storage for operating system, hard drive, usb stick sd card etc
stepeato (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:32:53 PM

What im worried about is buying hardware that isn't totally compatible.  Is there a popular site or way to determine whether or not all your hardware is compatible? 

I know that for most of you, that seems like a silly question, but I don't understand ram timings, socket type differences, etc...
Also,
this board would hold at least two GPU's correct?  Was planning on getting some risers for cooling, and do plan on having two cards.
meade16

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 12:35:32 PM

A large desktop fan is always handy, cooling 2 x 7990 for me was a problem at first.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: