The general idea is very very good, but the current "snapshots" of the network should be put on torrent sites.
Torrents offer many advantages over normal ways of distribution:
- Automatic checking of authenticity (torrents have checksums integrated)
- Greatest speed of download
- Decentralization: no central servers needed (same as with Bitcoin)
I very like the idea of using Bittorrent, but I'm not sure about few things:
1. we're adding big dependency on other program (bittorrent client)
2. I don't know any good and portable C / C++ lib for bittorrent (any ideas?)
3. it's still centralised (bittorrent clients need to connect to tracker), but of course it's much better in terms of download speed and load balancing.
4. Bitcoin clients are already using some protocol to download blocks - perhaps we can resuse it instead of adding another protocol?
All in all: idea looks good, but I wasn't not sure how to deal with those problem, so I just implemented version with mirrors. If we find a solution, I'll try to improve fastboot ;-)