Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:12:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I0Coin: How is it different from bitcoin?  (Read 2405 times)
norulezapply (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 11:46:52 AM

Can anyone explain?
I really don't see the attraction to mining these ridiculous forks.
But I do like the bitcoin total hashes dropping Wink
What makes it different from IxCoin (which is uber pointless) and bitcoin?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 12:51:00 PM

lol
well ixcoin is a fork of Bitcoin and iocoin a fork of ixcoin.
at the moment there doesn't seem to be a use for them except trade for BTC.Or any real plans that i have seen. At least Namecoin has a use Wink
some ppl that got in early and sold straight away made good money on ixcoin, those that bought before the price dropped....i guess scammed it too harsh a word?
I see the same going to happen with iocoin.

at the moment everyone seems to be thinking up new *coins, i even thought of starting the Scamcoin blockchain but expected too many would flock to it so dropped the idea.(joke)

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Mr.Bitcoin

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 01:06:28 PM

Yo Graet,
Scamcoin is a fantastic new coin! It would add to the growing list of mind-numbingly awesome Infinicoins: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=37503.msg460065#msg460065
Fletch

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

I'll have a steak sandwich and a... steak sandwich

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 06:17:26 PM

well ixcoin is a fork of Bitcoin and iocoin a fork of ixcoin.
i0coin is a fork of bitcoin, not ixcoin. I think the dev based it on the current (as of yet unreleased) version of Bitcoin. Hence the built-in wallet encryption (and stability issues :D).

HashPeak - GPU mining hashrate peak detector
BTC: 1FLETCHvcUKosefrcZCLUQTtvx4WvgnYMC
Nemesis099

Activity: 205

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 07:57:46 PM

I have to say I think it is more of a money grab to start these chains when bitcoin is still in its infancy.  While I guess they want to start before bitcoin has a firm grasp I don't think the market can support all these different online currencies.
dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 05:03:00 PM

Having done quick audit of the source, here are the major differences from the first i0coin client release (based on 0.3.25) and Bitcoin git:

General:
1) The client connects to chat.freenode.net instead of irc.lfnet.org
2) The payout is 48 coins instead of 50
3) The difficulty retargets planned for every 1 week instead of every 2 weeks.
4) Cutting the payout in half is planned for every 2 years instead of every 4 years
5) i0coin added NTP support for syncing client clocks.

Developer:
1) The hash of the genesis block and associated time, bits, and nonce are different (of course)
2) i0coin has a new function for scanning message starts.
3) The first 4 bytes of pchMessageStart were changed
4) By default it compiles with FOURWAYSSE2
5) The about text changed somewhat
6) i0coin does not have the deadlock debug code which checks for thread 1 locks ABC, thread 2 locks DCA style locks.
7) The timestamp string changed from "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks" to "5/Ago/2011 - Diario El Dia - Obama cae al 39% en la aprobaci�n ciudadana"

They have since released a client based on 0.3.24 as a stable client which I haven't diffed.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
DrKennethNoisewater

Activity: 125

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 05:07:18 PM

Right, but what now?

shotgun

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:42:29 PM

I have to say I think it is more of a money grab to start these chains when bitcoin is still in its infancy.  While I guess they want to start before bitcoin has a firm grasp I don't think the market can support all these different online currencies.

The point of all the alternative coins is ONLY TO TRADE FOR BTC, you can't use the alt-coins anywhere and they will die out soon. I feel sorry for the guys buying them all up... trading precious btc for useless ix/iocoins.

<luke-jr> Catholics do not believe in freedom of religion.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 01:13:57 AM

My guess is THAT'S where the additional income "comes from" in this closed system we're in.

Joe, Frank, and Paul mine IXcoins for a week, making 2X their normal BTC income with their mining hardware after they sell them for BTC on the exchange...
...to Mr. Simple, who buys the IXcoins in the name of speculation.
Eventually, there are no more buyers, and Mr. Simple gets stuck with useless bits and bytes, with no buyer. He might as well have coins on "Testnet" for all the $$$ he'll ever see for them.

But it's possible that Mr. Simple will manage to sell them to Big R. Fool before they lose all value, but then it's Big R. Fool's money that basically went to Joe, Frank and Paul.

Eventually, someone will lose their money and THAT'S where the additional mining income "comes from".

DrKennethNoisewater

Activity: 125

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 03:26:08 AM

My guess is THAT'S where the additional income "comes from" in this closed system we're in.

Joe, Frank, and Paul mine IXcoins for a week, making 2X their normal BTC income with their mining hardware after they sell them for BTC on the exchange...
...to Mr. Simple, who buys the IXcoins in the name of speculation.
Eventually, there are no more buyers, and Mr. Simple gets stuck with useless bits and bytes, with no buyer. He might as well have coins on "Testnet" for all the $$$ he'll ever see for them.

But it's possible that Mr. Simple will manage to sell them to Big R. Fool before they lose all value, but then it's Big R. Fool's money that basically went to Joe, Frank and Paul.

Eventually, someone will lose their money and THAT'S where the additional mining income "comes from".

Agreed.

But the opening BIDS that populated the bitparking trading site for IO coins.

Who in the hell would be buying??.....LOL

DKN
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 04:15:23 AM

yeah it is a game of hot potato.  But have you been to the gambling section of this site? it's a bit popular to say the least.
I do believe crypto currency competition is a good thing. And i0xoin has at least tried to address some faults with the other currencies. Like fixing some of the problems with wild difficulty swings that namecoin is plagued with. And trys to speed up transaction times by increasing block found rate. And a simple address check, which is a flaw in ixcoin and namecoin where people often send namecoins to the bitcoin addy on bitparking and have to get doublec to recover them.. or people like me do it to ixcoins. These are good things and didnt even come from the bitcoin beta.

Still I'm not sure if it is enough to survive. It was created on a rather whim and released just days after it was thought up. I suspect there will be others and some better, and one day there might be one that is truly better than the bitcoin in function. These are mini experiments and if you dont want to play, then dont.

But you have to admit some good has come out of it, as people have learned the various things not to do. Dont premine coins, dont release at difficulty 1, dont fork the beta. plan a bit more. It isnt all worthless schemes. One day there will be a cowcoin and it will be better than them all, all cause the developer learned lessons from those before him..

mooo for rent
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 05:21:33 AM

These are mini experiments and if you dont want to play, then dont.
I agree. They make good tests for features that could be included in bitcoin without risking the existing bitcoin network.
norulezapply (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 11:25:38 AM

Agreed.
There's definitely been lessons learned which will help shape the future of bitcoin.

But one thing you said in your post..
And trys to speed up transaction times by increasing block found rate.
That's unfortunately not true. If you double the block rate, you need 12 confirmations rather than 6 to have the same security as bitcoin.
BitMofo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 11:55:08 PM

These are mini experiments and if you dont want to play, then dont.
I agree. They make good tests for features that could be included in bitcoin without risking the existing bitcoin network.

Yeah I agree that they are a good test for flaws etc or features in bitcoin.
However, 90% of the people getting involved with IXcoin and Iocoin or whatever it is are purely in it to try and make some quick money! People that missed out on the massive bitcoin boom are hungry for a similar outcome. Of course these forks will probably fail unless one offers something substantially different to what bitcoin already has.

1HNffyHktcD2iB6WJhPxKbALJdg4dwerTG
relmeas

Activity: 124

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 01:59:12 AM

clearly someone is trying to undermine the idea of bitcoin by flooding newcomers with obscure blockchains.

i mean, bitcoin advocates tend to use gold analogy, but there is only few precious metals - mostly gold, silver and platinum, and each has unique industrial uses. while there can be any number of bitcoin-like blockchains and they only differ in amount of people who invested in them, so it's theoretically unlimited... looks to me pretty unattractive.
netadacadug

Activity: 156
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 05:18:39 AM

I0COIN:

I0coin (I "zero" coin) (Symbol: I0C) is a distributed, peer to peer cryptocurrency which allows instant payments to people from any place in the world. I0coin is independent of any central authorities. The system carries out collectively the controlling transactions and the issue of money. The original i0coin software was published in August 2011 with public mining commencing on August 16, 2011. It was based on the open-source Bitcoin software with several specification changes. The "zero" in the name means zero coins were pre-mined before the public was permitted to begin mining. Similar to Bitcoin, I0coin employs the same SHA-256 encryption algorithm with the block time of 90 seconds, which is 6.7 times faster than Bitcoin’s 10-minute blocks. When compared to Bitcoin, the maximum number of i0coins is 21 million like Bitcoin, but for i0coin, the difficulty retarget is once every three hours, which is much faster than Bitcoin's two weeks difficulty re-target.

BITCOIN:
Bitcoin can be used to pay for things electronically, if both parties are willing. In that sense, it’s like conventional dollars, euros, or yen, which are also traded digitally.
But it differs from fiat digital currencies in several important ways
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: