Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:58:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: State of TradeHill [Bitcoin.com Announcement]  (Read 4198 times)
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 01:02:36 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2011, 01:37:50 PM by Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

It's been a busy month here at TradeHill.  Here's what's new:

1) Bitcoin.com
Here's the big one: In the coming weeks we're going to roll out a beta of our new wallet and merchant services on Bitcoin.com.  Our goal with Bitcoin.com is to make Bitcoin more accessible to everyone in the world by developing an ultra-simple set of Bitcoin services.  What good is an exchange when currently most people can't use their Bitcoins in a safe and easy fashion?

We know that Bitcoin.com is a big opportunity, and we're not taking it lightly. We really want to get this right. As such we're very keen on not repeating the mistakes of other wallet services and exchanges. In the past two months we've heavily invested into security, talent and infrastructure to make sure we stay the one major Bitcoin site without any security incidents.

As such, we're not quite ready for testing with the public at large, but we're preparing for a staggered roll-out to our core customers in the coming weeks.  During this time, we're also intending to keep an open dialogue with the wider community - we want your input on how we can help Bitcoin succeed. Get in touch with us at future@tradehill.com for anything related to bitcoin.com and the future.

If you want to be among the first to try the new site, sign up for the beta waitlist at http://bitcoin.com/. We'll make sure existing TradeHill customers get the first seats.

2) TradeHill
Of course we're also continuing development on the TradeHill side of things as well. TradeHill will soon receive a full facelift and run on our new architecture, which we're hoping to build out into the most professional trading site you could wish for. Bear with us, first the new site and then later the toolchest for automated and professional trading.

3) Engineering
Having seen the recent disastrous consequences of under-engineering at other bitcoin services, we've focused on security and resilience instead of outward-facing features.

This was a tough call for us because it meant falling behind a bit on visible updates. We think that time will show that this was the right decision, and that you need good infrastructure to earn trust.

As part of our engineering efforts we've hired new engineers and significantly upgraded our tech infrastructure. At all times we are now running on two server clusters at independent datacenters in different countries. One of these clusters acts as a hot spare to which we can immediately switch over in the event there are any problems at the primary data center.  We, of course, religiously back up all data to an additional set of independent data centers.

Only two of our engineers have access to any production servers and we have emergency measures in place to prevent the theft or loss of any large quantity of Bitcoins (beyond what we can cover using reserves) even under the most adverse of circumstances.

4) Investment
Next, we'd like to reiterate that we're extremely committed to making Bitcoin big - we're in this for the long run. To do this, we've just reached agreement with new investors which will allow us to continue growing our team, improving our infrastructure, and helping Bitcoin succeed. TradeHill is here to stay and we're just getting started.

5) Site Feedback
We take all feedback seriously and we are very well aware of a number of improvements we need to make to our services.  Most of our recent technical development has been focused on behind-the-scenes infrastructure that we need to power the new services we're going to launch over the coming weeks.  However, we soon intend to catch up on the needed changes.  We've listened to your input, and we're anxiously awaiting the day when we can launch the features and improvements that you want.

6) Payment Options
We have been hard at work on adding more payment options for our users and we are happy to announce a new partnership with BitInstant. BitInstant allows you to instantly transfer funds between exchanges such as MtGox and TradeHill.  BitInstant is currently in a closed beta right now, but you can learn more at http://bitinstant.com/. This is one of the many payment options we'll be rolling out in the next few weeks.

7) Hiring
We're still hiring. If Bitcoin excites you, please get in touch!  We're especially interested in good designers. Please contact jobs@tradehill.com

8 ) USD Wires
We are again accepting USD wires both domestic and international.  See this blog post for more details: http://tradehillblog.com/2011/08/16/usd-domestic-and-international-wire-transfers-are-available-again/

9) Professional Traders
We have special deals for high volume traders. Please contact us.

10) Bitcoin Conference
We'll be attending the Bitcoin Conference in New York this weekend. See you there!

That's it from us for the week!

http://tradehillblog.com/

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 01:17:13 PM

How about making a mtgoxlive.com clone for tradehill?

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 01:43:00 PM

What does it take to qualify as a "high volume" trader?
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 01:50:26 PM

Awesome stuff Tradehill!
Keep up the good work!

nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 02:17:07 PM

We know that Bitcoin.com is a big opportunity, and we're not taking it lightly. We really want to get this right. As such we're very keen on not repeating the mistakes of other wallet services and exchanges. In the past two months we've heavily invested into security, talent and infrastructure to make sure we stay the one major Bitcoin site without any security incidents.

I agree. Don't screw up  Cool I just signed up for the beta.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 02:43:18 PM

Ever thought about putting some shares up on the GLBSE? I'm sure you would raise enough capital for whatever you need very quickly since there is a shortage of unshady companies on there at the moment and there are alot of people such as myself who are waiting for big timers to come on board.
ampirebus

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 02:47:04 PM

Currently I only trade at MTgox. I'm a small trader (~500-1000) but these improvements are making me consider opening up a TH account too.
de_bert

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:11:10 PM

Wow. I, for one, am exited. Having stable, secure and trustworthy merchant services and payment processors is precondition #1 for wide-spread bitcoin adoption, and tradehill certainly seems more resolved to invest in this than most other large players.
DownloadCoin.com

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 03:39:32 PM

Ever thought about putting some shares up on the GLBSE? I'm sure you would raise enough capital for whatever you need very quickly since there is a shortage of unshady companies on there at the moment and there are alot of people such as myself who are waiting for big timers to come on board.

Seconded.
Nicolai Larsen

Activity: 331

Earthling

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 03:43:44 PM

Awesome work Tradehill! The future of Bitcoin is here Wink

BTC: 1GUH16sneWgKuE1ArXrnYKN3njuherJQi1
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:43:51 PM

Jered, good stuff
I'll be getting in touch with you guys soon as I'm in design business and been at it for a long time.
timmey

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 03:50:37 PM

wow! Congratulations for getting hand on the bitcoin.com domain! Did you have that domain all the time or did you buy it for an enormous amount of BTC from someone else? :)

Good luck with the online wallet service, i hope it will lift off and attract some more people to Bitcoin!
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:00:17 PM

Great news!! lovely

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:30:55 PM

Jered, sent you PM, please check.
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 04:54:00 PM

Great improvements on every front. Keep up the good work!
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:19:07 PM

Out of interest I looked at the data from bitcoincharts.com which gave 70.86 days of data. According to that $2,568,748 was traded on tradehill in USD (There is the liberty reserve data as well which I didn't include). This is $36,251 a day on average. With the 0.56% commissions that is $406 a day extrapolated to $148,190 a year. Considering Tradehill seems pretty good (And compared to mtgox) and bitcoin will likely grow further, that seems pretty good to me. Though when Tradehill started the volumes were higher but have dropped off a bit yet I think bitcoin can grow further.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 05:22:35 PM

I've been looking forward to the visual facelift (market graphs, etc.) on Tradehill for some time -- when is that going to happen?
ShaggyB (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 05:30:23 PM

Good stuff guys! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys continue to grow!
Kyt Dotson

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 05:42:56 PM

3) Engineering
Having seen the recent disastrous consequences of under-engineering at other bitcoin services, we've focused on security and resilience instead of outward-facing features.

This is what I'm looking for. Crashes and hacks due to poor engineering and lacking security make big news; but personally, I'd rather that Bitcoin were making big news because it's doing big things rather than having big things done to it. After all, the story of the market will be more interesting if its character driven rather than a crisis prone plot-driven story.

It's almost as if we're in survivor mode right now, with older exchanges both having the confidence of being around for a while -- but also with many eyes on them wondering if it's the next MtGox or MyBitcoin event going to happen.

Keep the engineering good and I'll be happy. Smiley

SiliconANGLE: Bitcoin Weekly (My weekly column)
Read Black Hat Magick - not your ordinary detective agency - geeky fiction
BTC: 13MPMB6wU9j9RcqFRsubtngmtmvh3guZGp
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2011, 07:50:52 PM

Getting bitcoin.com is an epic win. It shows you guys are committed to the future of bitcoin! That domain is going to be absurdly valuable in a few years.

With all this awesome stuff coming out I feel justified in being a TradeHill booster all this time. Now it's time to go live with some improved US Dollar deposit options!

Jered - I sent you a big long email Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: