Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:22:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The emoticons of Bitcoins - Satoshi Codes!  (Read 4418 times)
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 08:29:15 PM

Would it be possible to implement this as a plug-in/add-in thingiebob?

Could be good Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 10:18:10 PM

OK, just for the sake of getting the joke a little further, and to see if the idea can indeed be useful, I created a first wiki page for Satoshi codes (or whatever we end up calling them).

The page contains a table with the OP's proposed codes. I didn't know how serious the other ones were, so I'll let their respective authors add them, or not.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
johnrigler

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 04:04:28 AM

I have devised a whole slew of similar systems which can be used to communicate much more information.  I have basically been sending very small transactions to myself.  By making the entire transaction about the message, it can act as a signal sent out to the entire currency.  Since these signal could be augmented by messages embedded in Op. Codes, they could be described in a meaningful way.  Because Bitcoin itself is so much more expensive than other currencies, I have been using zcash, but the concept is the same (so far I have spent less than $5)  

I just recently found reference to this post on the blockchain wiki, but assumed that my ideas weren't particularly novel.  Here are some of my signals.  As for the original 'Satoshi Codes', I like the idea, btw!

-------------- 1 --------------------

0.00001132 <----- always send at 11:32PM GMT this is a reference to Finnegans Wake This one is interesting because the chance of coincidently writing the hour and minute into a
   given block is quite low, especially if the same address repeats this action.  Writing the anticipated block height to the block would be similar.

-------------- 2 --------------------

0.00000888 <---- tic-tac-toe, the entire board is represented, 8 stands for an empty row

---
-X-      <-------- 0.00000828 (middle row, second bit)
---

--O
-X-     <------- 0.00000428 (top row, third bit)
---

-XO
-X-     <------- 0.00000628 (top row, second and third it)
---

And so the whole game is represented this way, anyone seeing this externally might be able to guess that it is a tic-tac-toe game.  Like the first example, this is self-describing.

---------------- 3 ----------------------------

klocktal (octal kludge) represent the entire alphabet in two digit codes:

1234 5678
    ------ -----
1  abcd  efgh
2  ijkl    mnop
3 qrst    uvwx
4 yz

.00372737   <--- "wow"
.00122712   <--- "bob"
.00372737   <--- "wow"
--------------- 4 ---------------------------------

Use weak hashes to represent complex objects, which could be stored off-chain or tied to an address with opt-codes:

declare -f bitcoin.height
bitcoin.height ()
{
    BC=$(curl https://blockchain.info/q/getblockcount 2>/dev/null);
    echo "And the winner is: $BC"
}
declare -f bitcoin.height | sum
43025 1

Although 0.00043025 could mean many things, it is only necessary that two parties agree on the meaning.

-------------- 5 -------------------------------------

Mirroring actions on various currencies at the same time can act as a way to join accounts together logically.

-------------------------------------------------------
Why would someone use these systems rather than Operational Codes? This works with any currency, and the signals can be sent by
anyone with access to a smart phone, online wallet, coinbase account, etc. More money is spent on miner fees than messages, but the system
can be used to establish the connection between addresses.  I believe that connecting addresses to each other in a meaningful way is how
larger systems can be built.  

john@rigler.org

One thing to make Bitcoin more sociable would be to add a message to a Bitcoin transfer. Since this is not part of the protocol, one could have a standard to interpret the last digits sent in a Bitcoin amount, the Satoshis. The digits are currently hardly ever being used and it costs nothing for the computer to use these. People want to express emotions in the messages on computers, that's where the use of emoticons came from (namely as just simply an interpretation of certain rarely used key combinations).

Therefore I present hereby, Satoshi Codes, the "emoticons" of Bitcoin. You simply add these Satoshis to an amount you are transferring with the following meanings (since Satoshis are currently worth very little it also costs almost nothing):

Satoshi Codes (last 2 digits of Bitcoin amount sent):

00 - (no message)
01 - thank you
02 - to our valued customer/recipient
03 - Please check your mail.
04 - enjoy!/have a nice day
05 - I'm sorry!/Sorry for the delay
06 - Happy Birthday!
07 - For a good friend/friends forever!
08 - hugs & kisses
09 - with Love

Grin Grin Grin

What do you think of this?

SUDARMONO

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2018, 08:19:30 AM

I think the way you use is pretty good, and it's true that bitcoin is currently not very valuable but I think with prices like that bitcoin is still quite high and that it is still very profitable.
johnrigler

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2018, 06:32:48 PM

I think the way you use is pretty good, and it's true that bitcoin is currently not very valuable but I think with prices like that bitcoin is still quite high and that it is still very profitable.

Thanks.  We are entering a phase where the fact that bitcoin and some obvious alt. coins can be relied on simply to continue to exist regardless of the price of the coin.  So efforts such as private blockchains can always tie into public blockchains as a sort of index, no matter how rudimentary.  I have written about this on Research Gate am publishing through IBM:

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Kloctal-An-Octal-System-for-Simple-Cryptocurrency-Messages
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: