Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:05:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add multiple quotes to one post?  (Read 362 times)
TheGodson (OP)

Activity: 383
Merit: 161

https://nitrogensports.eu/r/4896627

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 04:31:13 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2018, 04:49:23 AM by TheGodson

I think it would be a great feature to this forum if people could quote multiple people in a post with the click of a button. Recently, I had to quote two people who posted before me in two separate posts. It would be easier if I could quote them in one post so that it doesn't clutter up the page as much.

Thoughts?

EDIT

Okay, I just realized you can do this already after you are already on the drafting page with the "insert quote" link. It still would be cool to hit multiple quotes before you arrive at the drafting page though.

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 04:48:03 AM
Merited by TMAN (1)

I think it would be a great feature to this forum if people could quote multiple people in a post with the click of a button. Recently, I had to quote two people who posted before me in two separate posts. It would be easier if I could quote them in one post so that it doesn't clutter up the page as much.

Thoughts?

You can!

You can scroll through all the previous posts in the history of the thread and quote as many as you want in your post.

The only limit is that the history of the posts (as you are writing a new post) is only one page long, 10-15 posts...and you can't rifle back through multiple pages. So if one of the quotes you want isn't in that first page of history you need to open a new browser, find the comment you want to quote, quote it (which initiates a new response post), copy it and the paste it in the original post you're trying to make.
esmanthra

Activity: 504
Merit: 732

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:09:14 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2018, 05:20:07 AM by esmanthra
Merited by TheGodson (1)

It seems that it's possible if "Quick Reply" option in Settings is enabled: it that case the "Quote" button adds quotes to one post in sequence, not sends you to another page. But it concerns only one thread page - if you go to the next (or previous) one, the form would be cleared out.

Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 05:24:15 AM

Just use the archive if you need it with all your referencing.

It seems that it's possible if "Quick Reply" option in Settings is enabled: it that case the "Quote" button adds quotes to one post in sequence, not sends you to another page. But it concerns only one thread page - if you go to the next (or previous) one, the form would be cleared out.

I constantly use that feature and it really helps me to make a "quick" reply every time the thread is about quick discussion like this one.

Alternatively the constructive post I can only give in this thread how about use the archive if you need to reference all the comment? it will really help if you need a certain page, but not entirely all the page.
TheGodson (OP)

Activity: 383
Merit: 161

https://nitrogensports.eu/r/4896627

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:15:05 AM

Wow this is a cool feature, thanks for showing me. Smiley

Just use the archive if you need it with all your referencing.

I constantly use that feature and it really helps me to make a "quick" reply every time the thread is about quick discussion like this one.

Alternatively the constructive post I can only give in this thread how about use the archive if you need to reference all the comment? it will really help if you need a certain page, but not entirely all the page.

I'm not sure how to access "the archive", but I sure enjoy testing out this quick reply feature.

TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1222

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 08:51:20 AM

Okay, I just realized you can do this already after you are already on the drafting page with the "insert quote" link. It still would be cool to hit multiple quotes before you arrive at the drafting page though.

Blame it on the forum software. Nothing else can be done other than the "Insert Quote" option. In fact the quote system is made to help people reply to multiple posts above them in a thread. So it serves its purpose if you just insert the text (quoted) and the snip the unnecessary portions.

I have had problems when I was new to the forum in properly making all the quotes end at the perfect lines. Takes a bit of practice to make sure you dont miss out any "open" [ quote] tags and then the entire post looks like a noobies post. Grin

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
petyang12

Activity: 352
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 04:47:52 PM

Actually you can quote multiple users in one post but you have copy the author's link and his/her message when you press quote button (there's no button to press that will copy the author's link and message though).

I think it would be a great feature to this forum if people could quote multiple people in a post with the click of a button.
I'd love to have it featured in this forum, when you want to quote multiple person in one post you just have to press a button.

It seems that it's possible if "Quick Reply" option in Settings is enabled: it that case the "Quote" button adds quotes to one post in sequence, not sends you to another page.
It's still possible even though you use another program like notepad or html editor something like that. Quote button will help you to quote multiple people in one post.

Recently, I had to quote two people who posted before me in two separate posts.
Since you found an answer for your question I can only add little information. Learning BBCode would also help you with your post, I suppose you knew BBCode.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▄ ▀▀▀▄     T F S     ▄▀▀▀ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Move Your Game To The Next Level
[    TG GROUP    ]  [  TG CHANNEL  ]  [     TWITTER     ]  [     MEDIUM     ]
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2018, 04:08:24 AM

Well this is a nicer view than the standard reply post entry screen, but we still can't get past being able to sift through multiple pages of the thread to add all the quotes we desire.

This must be a standard limitation to simple machines forums. It's odd, for sure.

Thanks for sharing how this different layout feature works.

Recently, I had to quote two people who posted before me in two separate posts.
Learning BBCode would also help you with your post, I suppose you knew BBCode.

Learning BB code won't help anyone add multiple quotes in their post from multiple pages in a thread. Knowning BB code doesn't tell you the URL of the post you're trying to quote.
esmanthra

Activity: 504
Merit: 732

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 04:47:28 AM

It's still possible even though you use another program like notepad or html editor something like that

Yeah, but methods like this one do not belong to forum functionality.

This must be a standard limitation to simple machines forums. It's odd, for sure

I'd say it has some additional limitations like the leak of formatting tools. Just the right time to talk about BBCode knowledge, actually.
colkcolk

Activity: 128
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 06:11:44 AM

Thoughts?

EDIT

Yes dude, you can do quote from multiple post just arranging that post into your quote button, then just to edit each of the post in order to be tidy. If there is a button for multiple quotes, I guess it should arrange how many quotes to be made, which post to be quoted, and so on. Still not simple for me.
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2324
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2018, 06:14:33 AM

For someone who interested in how to do it, I presented three ways to compose better threads and avoid over-quoted ones.
Here you go:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3749076.msg37016589#msg37016589
motienvolam

Activity: 291
Merit: 20

I love my wife and my little girl

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 02:07:25 PM

For someone who interested in how to do it, I presented three ways to compose better threads and avoid over-quoted ones.
Here you go:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3749076.msg37016589#msg37016589
Thanks to both of you, and the topic creator for such amazing ideas to keep the forum as clean as possible.
Over quoting threads are one of the most annoying ones in the forum. They are mainly come from shit-posters. Unfortunately, there are small proportions of higher ranked members who have kept over quoting. I guess they are shit-posters who fortunately ranked up to higher ranks due to the old ranking system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: