Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:21:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom FPGA Board for Sale!  (Read 91594 times)
fizzisist

Activity: 720
Merit: 525

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 07:08:22 PM

The next generation won't require Xilinx software. fpgaminer is working on the python interface, which I expect will run on Arch Linux ARM. I have a Dockstar that I plan to experiment with, for this purpose. I'll let you know if I have any success (or if I don't). By the way, I set up a wiki at fpgamining.com for the purpose of putting guides and stuff somewhere. Hopefully there will be some useful information there someday (nothing right now).

The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cablesaurus

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 07:12:55 PM

Pre orders are now enabled @ www.cablesaurus.com

PCIe Extender Cables; Dummy Plugs, Fans; PSU Cables; Cases & More
Visit www.Cablesaurus.com and our forum thread at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6128.0
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:23:45 PM

Another question: Could this be cooled by submerging it into a small aquarium filled with mineral oil? Would one still use a heatsink in such a situation or is that unnecessary, with a liquid cooling solution?

It seems to me you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. Think "pentium 90" in terms of cooling here.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
sirky

Activity: 404

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:51:31 PM

Sirky-
I wonder what the best way to mount a bunch of these would be. Surely just laying them somewhere cannot be most efficient.

What are the physical dimensions with the heat sink on?

For the next batch, we are looking at a 3.4in x 4.1in rectangle. I don't know exactly what the height will be~ probably about 1.5in with the heatsink. We're definitely gonna put some mounting holes and standoffs in, so you can stack them vertically.

Here's the kind of standoff I'm talking about:
http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Daburn%20PDFs/10-40_1.pdf

Just to be clear, are the 2 chip and 1 chip boards the same?
newMeat1 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:53:25 PM

Yes. Whichever one you choose, it will help us get a volume discount on the PCB's. My team is going to buy 10 to start us off!   -- to sell later on eBay or for people who miss preorders

sirky

Activity: 404

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:57:30 PM

Yes. Whichever one you choose, it will help us get a volume discount on the PCB's. My team is going to buy 10 to start us off!   -- to sell later on eBay or for people who miss preorders

I am strongly considering preordering 10 as well.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 08:00:12 PM

I just ordered 2 of the dual ones. Looking forward to them!

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 08:10:15 PM

I apologize if this has been answered before, I can only read back so much Smiley

What is the expected final price for the 1 and 2 fpga boards when they hit the market? (I assume this will be a max price and the price will be based in $ not BTC).

Also, paying the pre-order in BTC today, will that count as BTC when the final payment is due or as $50?
newMeat1 (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 08:11:54 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2011, 08:24:58 PM by newMeat1

Paying in BTC today will count as $50. Max prices are $420 for single FPGA and $620 for dual FPGA

Unfortunately Digikey doesn't take BTC yet, so we will be converting to USD to pay for hardware. You have a couple weeks before the final paymet is due, so... if you feel like BTC value is going up, it would be smart to wait on your preorder. It won't hurt us

Christian Pezza

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 08:33:35 PM

got 10 Dual FPGA X6500

do ur best guys can't wait see what happen next Smiley

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
thirdlight

Activity: 445

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 08:34:10 PM

So I'm putting in my pre-order, & being charged $30 for shipping.  Huh

If it costs $30 to ship a promise, how much is it to ship a board?  Grin

newMeat1 (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 08:35:51 PM

got 10 Dual FPGA X6500

Wow! Thanks. We will make it happen.

Christian Pezza

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 08:50:00 PM

got 10 Dual FPGA X6500

Wow! Thanks. We will make it happen.

You guys take a risk I am with Ya Grin

If you like this tread consider to donate some to https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
gbeirn

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 09:12:11 PM

I might considered getting one or two. When is the pre-order cutoff date? Any way to keep a running tally of what the final cost will get down to? Or is that impossible to know until production starts?

NXT VPS Server Donations can be sent here: 6044921191674841550
At the end of each month I will donate some of them back to the community.
This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
newMeat1 (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 09:58:30 PM

We'll make Sep. 12th be the preorder cutoff. We should have or be very close to having a first prototype by then.

Any way to keep a running tally of what the final cost will get down to? Or is that impossible to know until production starts?
Not impossible, but- it would take a lot of work to keep such a running tally. Maybe we can organize ourselves and give some periodic updates

teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 10:00:32 PM

They plan on using a legitimate usb interface for the next gen chips as for the xilinix software, that it entirely independent once programmed a fpga can be anything, this is kind of the point of fpgas.

I am concerned about communicating with the miner, because the original open source FPGA miner uses Altera's closed x86 software to talk over USB. Of course, there are ways to communicate via USB with open source software, but even then there can be driver issues. Serial port is safer in this sense, which is why I'm not the only one to choose it for FPGA mining.

Of course, the FPGA can be programmed with a different computer from the one that is using the miner. However, things are often much more convenient if it is the same machine.

Since I'm already starting to sound trollish, I may as well generalize that it's a bad idea to rely on closed software. For example, a friend of mine is worried about having an FPGA board that is only programmable from 32-bit Windows, as the support for XP is nearing its end. It's entirely possible to program and mine with Altera and Xilinx boards using open source on ARM, if you do your homework.

Synthesizing the FPGA code still needs closed software, but at least it is free as in beer for some chips. This LX150 needs an expensive license that must be renewed annually. I guess this board is worth its price if you only consider it as bitcoin-only hardware, and don't plan on developing anything else.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
newMeat1 (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:08:43 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2011, 10:43:55 PM by newMeat1

teknohog- you realize that the user "fpgaminer" has been helping us quite a bit? He developed the original open-source FPGA software. So don't worry about someday buying a new computer that doesn't work on your old FPGA board. We'll make sure you get current software and a bitstream. And we are switching to a USB==> serial communication interface. I assume that's pretty safe, since USB won't be going anywhere for a long time to come. The hardware that we use to implement this interface is extremely common.

He is right, though-- you do need a Xilinx license if you want to synthesize your own firmware for the FPGA. (Think of this as compiling your own custom code. All the vocab is different with FPGAs).

Most people who would want to do that probably have access to the software through school or work, I would bet.

EDIT- Here's the list of drivers for our interface chip.

teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 10:23:26 PM

And we are switching to a USB==> serial communication interface. I assume that's pretty safe, since USB won't be going anywhere for a long time to come. The hardware that we use to implement this interface is extremely common.

Thanks, this is nice to know Smiley

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
svojoe
Legendary

Activity: 968
Merit: 1000

einc.io

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 10:46:35 PM

I want to support this,  but I am not in a position to place an order at this time.  PM me if there is anything I can do!

Ten98

Activity: 1008

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:16:02 AM

About to pre-order but have a few questions...

How does mining actually work with these? I see you need Windows for the driver, that's fine, but will it work with existing windows mining software?? Have you been able to mine with the prototypes?

Will the frimware become any more optimised do you think, or is the current quoted hash rate the most we are ever likely to get out of the devices? Can they be overclocked at all to give faster rates?

Is the FPGA reprogrammable? Do I need special cables or software to do so or can it all be done via USB?

What kind of warranty are you going to offer? This is experimental equipment so I would expect a few failures here and there...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: