Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 04:34:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about cpu and gpu mining:  (Read 582 times)
orangestuff (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:48:47 PM

I'm very new to mining. I've just started using cudaminer to mine some dogecoin with my gtx 560 and its not going as fast as i'd like. I do have a pretty good processor though and was wondering if I could possibly mine with both simultaneously. Any help is appreciated greatly.
Erasmuz

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:13:45 PM

Doing both is definitely doable. 

You can't use cuda miner though on the CPU. You'll have to use something like pool's miner.  If you have a nice CPU there are some things to be cautious about.

1.  You'll be running CPU and GPU at 100% more than likely which if your PSU can't support will cause it to blow.
    - Games never use both at 100% so it will really stress the system
2.  You'll be outputting a lot more heat.  So things can get really toasty in a case.
3.  You won't get much more hash/sec with cpu mining.  As a benchmark I could only get around 90kh/s using an intel i7 4770k, and about the same with an i7 3930k
    - So you might be using more power than it's worth.
wearepoor

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 10:17:09 PM

I'm very new to mining. I've just started using cudaminer to mine some dogecoin with my gtx 560 and its not going as fast as i'd like. I do have a pretty good processor though and was wondering if I could possibly mine with both simultaneously. Any help is appreciated greatly.

CPU mining Scrypt coin is not effecient, you might mine some CPU coin instead (like PrimeCoin) together with GPU Scrypt mining 
orangestuff (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 12:48:48 AM

You can't use cuda miner though on the CPU. You'll have to use something like pool's miner.  If you have a nice CPU there are some things to be cautious about.

1.  You'll be running CPU and GPU at 100% more than likely which if your PSU can't support will cause it to blow.
2.  You'll be outputting a lot more heat.  So things can get really toasty in a case.
3.  You won't get much more hash/sec with cpu mining.  As a benchmark I could only get around 90kh/s using an intel i7 4770k, and about the same with an i7 3930k
Thanks for the info. The i7 is a better chip than mine so it's probably not worth CPU mining I guess.
nite138

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:03:18 AM

If you are using "auto" settings for your cudaminer, you might try -H 1 -i 0 -C 1 -l F14x16 -m 1.  It is what I've been using on my 580 gtx.  It may squeeze out a few extra khash for you
GarbageName

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:31:35 AM

The key question for the PSU is your 12V rail. If you can cover the TDP of the GPU and the CPU as well as wattage for memory, optical drives, and the northbridge, you'll be okay. Not all of those work off of 12V. Personally I just strip out the optical drive. The hard drive and memory take 5 to 10 watts each and the northbridge takes 20ish. So if you want a theoretical max take TDP of GPU + CPU + 40 watts (and don't have a DVD in the optical drive...).

On your PSU you can check what the 12V rail is rated. So for a 430 watt CX psu for example, the 12V rail is rated at 384 watts (32 AMPS * 12 VOLTS = 384 WATTS). You need the total internal pull on your system to be less than 384. Now really, as a bare minimum, if you want your PSU to last any sort of time, you need to be at least 10 percent under that target so (384-38=346) to cover power fluctuations and not overwork the PSU, but if you want to be safe (and you should PSUs cost money) try to be 20 percent under (384-77=307). So your total system in this case should be pulling 307 watts maximum.

Another note (although I haven't tried it myself) is that I have heard that LTC/scrypt mining needs one open core. So if you have multiple cores, try to only use N-1 (where N is the number of cores in the CPU) for the CPU coin. That way you wont weaken your LTC or scrypt return.

Happy mining.

--GarbageName
loopgate88

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:56:42 AM

Just get RADEON GPUs or buy currency. Mining will require as much luck and timing as buying. Mining scrypt with anything else than Radeon GPUs now is a waste of time. It is nearly a waste of time to mine scrypt with Radeon GPUs already to without them it is really pointless. You would have to have excellent timing to start mining at a very low difficulty and if you are that lucky, it stands to reason that you would be equally lucky just buying coins instead.
GarbageName

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:05:10 AM

Just get RADEON GPUs or buy currency. Mining will require as much luck and timing as buying. Mining scrypt with anything else than Radeon GPUs now is a waste of time. It is nearly a waste of time to mine scrypt with Radeon GPUs already to without them it is really pointless. You would have to have excellent timing to start mining at a very low difficulty and if you are that lucky, it stands to reason that you would be equally lucky just buying coins instead.

I disagree with this. Of course if you mine something established then you are likely to be priced out by the competition. People pay for the security of mining an established coin. So yes if you mean litecoin, worldcoin, or feathercoin cpu mining or mining with a low level radeon is worthless, but there are dozens of coins, some with 1 or 2 difficulty, that you can reasonably get a decent number of coins for. If that coin takes off, you can make some money. If you were mining dogecoin, two weeks ago at 1 difficulty, you'd probably have made a few grand, even with a cpu.

--GarbageName
orangestuff (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:43:35 PM

If you are using "auto" settings for your cudaminer, you might try -H 1 -i 0 -C 1 -l F14x16 -m 1.  It is what I've been using on my 580 gtx.  It may squeeze out a few extra khash for you
Increased my hashrate by about 75 kh/s thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: