Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:30:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the most convincing arguments against Bitcoin?  (Read 9219 times)
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:17:44 AM

I'm with the guys who say security for the average Joe is the biggest obstacle.  I work with many business people on a day to day basis and most of them have no clue about even the simplest of security measures and what the consequences are if their data is stolen.  With bitcoin, we are talking about securing wealth.  People MUST understand it.  They would not understand that no one should ever see that private key printed on their paper wallet.  No camera of any type should come near your paper wallet.  Trojans, man-in-the-middle, etc are all potential threats that could potentially wipe out a life's savings in a heartbeat with no recourse.  It is for these reason i have yet to encourage anyone to try it.  Let the pros work out the kinks first.  I believe a viable solution will come but until then bitcoin is not ready for mainstream.

I agree. Another serious problem is the distribution. Some early adopters may hold a ridiculously large amount of BTC that may make them some of the richest men in the world. Most people have to buy bitcoin from those who have them which are, early adopters (since half the bitcoins where mined in the first 4 years). These people have got an unfair advantage over others.

The only way to fairly distribute bitcoin would require the mass scale infrastructure of the goverment. And we all know how much goverments would like to see their currencies become useless.

If someone has 1 Million BTC and the price goes to 10k then they will have more monetary power than Bill Gates. This money however hasn't been created in goods and services but has been redistributed almost arbitrarily. I somehow doubt really early adopters will just give away 99% of their wealth. Even if they should. 

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
amincd

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:32:55 AM

A risk exists that copycats will fragment the market for Bitcoin-like currency and reduce the value of bitcoins, making them a poor store of value.

I too think the arguments for Bitcoin greatly outweigh those against, and that the aforementioned is unlikely, but of all the risks Bitcoin faces, I think it's the least insignificant.
taltamir

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:40:26 AM

I'm not talking about the short-term, not the medium-term, but the long-term.

1. 51% attack
2. Centralization of the coin due to various factors which undermines its purpose (it will continue to exist, it just won't be good anymore)
3. Ever growing chain length does not recognize the ending of moore's law.
Zooey

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:18:40 AM

1. People are, in the majority, pretty fucking thick.
2. Majority Rule is the system of governance in most Western nations.

✘ www.NOTFORSALECAMPAIGN.org ✘
Human trafficking enslaves 30 million people: Join the movement to re-abolish slavery. | A 05:49s Vimeo |
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 08:26:37 AM

Maybe Keynes was right?

Perhaps a currency that loses value is better?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:34:37 AM

HERETIC!!!

BURN HIM!

(Actually I don't know the first thing about economics. But apparently neither do economists so that's okay then)

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4473

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:42:00 AM

Re: What are the most convincing arguments against FIAT?

1.pickpocketing
2.card cloning
3.bank robbery
4.minimum wage
5.taxes
6.fraud
7.government control
8.bank double spending
9.government debt
10.bank freezing accounts
11. banks emptying accounts (cyprus)
12.money laundering
13.fiat used for illegal activities

so many more, but i think you get my point

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:56:41 AM

The other big problem with Bitcoin is that it isn't legal tender, and thus it is taxed on changes in its value unlike legal tender. Thus Bitcoin can NEVER be a non-anonymous currency.

So Bitcoin has very powerful arguments against it. The OP is naive.

In Germany, neither Gold nor Gold 2.0 is taxed (VAT).

http://www.welt.de/finanzen/article120823372/Zahlungen-mit-Bitcoins-sind-umsatzsteuerfrei.html
http://www.zerohedge.com/node/477785
DavidZ

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 09:05:11 AM

Maybe Keynes was right?

Why do you think that?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 09:23:50 AM

Most convincing argument for failure? Ok, I'll try. Complacency and greed should do it.

Too many people are here to line their pockets by starting that next great Bitcoin gambling site or develop that next great multimillion dollar app that skyrockets them to fame and fortune or to buy cheap and sell high. In other words - profiteering scumbags.

Too few people exist on the planet that would use Bitcoin simply for altruistic reasons. The average person (not the ideologically pumped up college student or recent graduate) is concerned more about themselves and their little life than how great Bitcoin would be for the end of (insert name of the political philosophy/economic system you don't like here).

tl;dr

Mass adoption requires humans that don't exist en masse. Most are too greedy and stupid for Bitcoin to spread much beyond the pseudo–intellectual fringe and common crooks.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 09:27:18 AM

Maybe Keynes was right?

Why do you think that?

I don't. But Keynes thinks we should all lose wealth to big corporations that have first dibs on new money before it loses value.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
DavidZ

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 09:33:15 AM

Maybe Keynes was right?

Why do you think that?

I don't. But Keynes thinks we should all lose wealth to big corporations that have first dibs on new money before it loses value.

Yep, I don't like Keynesianism either; a most fraudulent economic system. It has caused a lot of harm.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 09:50:21 AM

Having to use fiat to use bitcoin is probably enough of a reason to stop A LOT of people from having a desire to use bitcoin. I would assume a lot of people don't care about any of the downsides of fiat so long as it's working for them right now.

I'll give you an example. If someone was about to walk into a coffee shop with $5 to buy a cup of a coffee and you said "hey give me that $5 an ill give you $5 worth of bitcoin and you can buy your coffee with it" MOST people would have zero interest in that because they see no point in it and it's extra one extra step just to buy something they can already buy.

With that said, that's fine. Bitcoin doesn't have to be used by everyone nor would it probably even be practical to use in certain situations, but I do believe everything I just said is a big reason why people would or do have no interest in bitcoin. It just seems pointless to them. 

Even if someones fiat currency crashed, they would still need to use it to use bitcoin if they didn't have any bitcoin. So again they would ask the question "why use bitcoin when I can already use the fiat currency I have".

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 11:01:33 AM

I'm not talking about the short-term, not the medium-term, but the long-term.

1. 51% attack
2. Centralization of the coin due to various factors which undermines its purpose (it will continue to exist, it just won't be good anymore)
3. Ever growing chain length does not recognize the ending of moore's law.

1. less of an issue as time goes on. regardless, not much can be done with a 51% attack anyway.
2. not really an issue. every argument ive seen about centralization misses key points on how they are wrong.
3. Pruning.

(this has all been gone over a crazy number of times and people still post crap after proper answers. and people still never look for answers)

Having to use fiat to use bitcoin is probably enough of a reason to stop A LOT of people from having a desire to use bitcoin. I would assume a lot of people don't care about any of the downsides of fiat so long as it's working for them right now.

I'll give you an example. If someone was about to walk into a coffee shop with $5 to buy a cup of a coffee and you said "hey give me that $5 an ill give you $5 worth of bitcoin and you can buy your coffee with it" MOST people would have zero interest in that because they see no point in it and it's extra one extra step just to buy something they can already buy.

With that said, that's fine. Bitcoin doesn't have to be used by everyone nor would it probably even be practical to use in certain situations, but I do believe everything I just said is a big reason why people would or do have no interest in bitcoin. It just seems pointless to them. 

Even if someones fiat currency crashed, they would still need to use it to use bitcoin if they didn't have any bitcoin. So again they would ask the question "why use bitcoin when I can already use the fiat currency I have".

i think one basic counter point to this is that no matter what, the gov waters down our USD. our money loses value. bitcoin may have its ups and downs currently but over the course of 6 months to a year, no matter what is happening, the bitcoins you hold are worth more now then they were before even if you included buying on the top of a 'crash'. If you have money to put into bitcoin that you can leave there then there really isnt a reason not to. having the ability to easily access that money and buy things with it is also really nice. once in the bitcoin system you dont have all those pesky bank and 3rd party fees. it may tie cash for ease of use. but eventually we may see some really interesting security features t protect your bitcoins from in person theft as well as online theft. really its only a matter of time before such things are history where it will be like "wait you used to have your wallet on your PC? no hardware encryption, multi sig or dedicated wallet system? dam i cant imagine risking half a bitcoin! that would have been my salary for year!"
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:20:11 PM

Volatility will always be a major character for bitcoin, so it is not suitable for day to day spending, only for long term saving

Bytas

Activity: 323

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:30:28 PM

In the long term?

It's called a quantum-computer and it can make a bit be 0 and 1 at the SAME time, potentially solving any hash in a matter of microseconds.
So far, this still a theoretical thing, but scientists are working and getting closer on the concept.
If anything can destroy bitcoin at it's core, its that thing.
t1000

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:37:02 PM

In the long term?

It's called a quantum-computer and it can make a bit be 0 and 1 at the SAME time, potentially solving any hash in a matter of microseconds.
So far, this still a theoretical thing, but scientists are working and getting closer on the concept.

By that time, we will have quantum cryptographic coins.... Qubitcoin.  Grin

Did you find my posts helpful? Did I say say something nice? Your generosity is much appreciate.
BTC: 1G7chBLoYqGfdyfkrox53yDn6sS65PgFYk
LTC: LiYeFdbv5oxin9S3Wmn4v84LuGZ9nsE4XZ
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:53:22 PM

In the long term?

But that will not increase the amount of Bitcoins being generated. The rate of creation of new BTCs will remain unchanged. So this will only be having a minimal effect.
JohnsonRobinson

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:31:52 PM

Fiat is NOT working for us. 

Our savings (i.e. buying power) are being stolen by the greasy corporatocracy through excessive money printing and ponzi betting in the form of derivatives which is estimated to be over 1 QUADRILION.  Global GDP is roughly 70 trillion.

There is a crisis of trust and people want out of fiat.  At least from US funny money.

We are expected to act honestly within a system that is stealing from us and parasitising us.  We have to figure out a way to protect ourselves from those who wield power over us.  One way is fair money.

There is currently a great window for Bitcoin until:

1) China or the BRICS nations, who are all buying gold like crazy, release a gold-backed currency that is again a stable store of wealth.  The masses I believe would rush to adopt that and fiats of endebted nations would collapse.  People might in that case also move somewhat away from Bitcoin.

and/or

2) Gold / Silver prices start rising again and some people move back from Bitcoin / cryptos.

Until then I think Bitcoin or maybe some other crypto have an awesome window of opportunity as people are looking for a store of value that isn't stealing from them.
mateo

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:51:23 PM

The fact that governments could simply ban it, like China almost did. China officials even said that "legitimacy of our national currency can not be chalenged" or something along those lines, so there's one reason for governments to ban it. And governments banning Bitcoin would effectively push it back to underground where it's only used by hackers and drug dealers.

Also, the fact that there's no central authority regulating the price means that Bitcoin is not very suitable for exchange for goods and services, due to volatility. But that might? change when/if Bitcoin becomes bigger.

BTC to the moon!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: