Bitcoin Forum
July 20, 2024, 11:27:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If offered 1-4Cents per Kwh, would you migrate your mining equipment ?  (Read 1106 times)
GigaCoin (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 11:44:33 PM

Hello fellow Miners,

Hope you are well and mining them coins  Smiley

I'm exploring an option of obtaining cheap energy, as a miner would you consider a rate of 1-4 cents per KWH a good deal for you and your equipment? For example, if offered would you migrate your Bitcoin and litecoin mining equipment to take advantage of this rate?

also at what rate kWh would you start considering it being "not cheap"

Appreciate your feedback, thanks!

d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 12:51:10 AM

Seeing how I don't pay for utilities at my home (company I work for pays all utilities and internet). I would have to decline the offer to transfer my equipment. However, your rate would be very cheap compared to PG&E who charges .10-.13 cents a KWH.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:26:43 AM

If you're going to hold other people's eq, make sure you have legal contracts and are insured.  If something goes up in flames and you're losing other people's mining income they will go after you.  You are creating a business afterall.
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:54:49 AM

Where would this be?  I'm about to invest a little money into the mining business.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 06:47:35 AM

Maybe put colocation in the title.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:10:08 PM

Hello fellow Miners,

Hope you are well and mining them coins  Smiley

I'm exploring an option of obtaining cheap energy, as a miner would you consider a rate of 1-4 cents per KWH a good deal for you and your equipment? For example, if offered would you migrate your Bitcoin and litecoin mining equipment to take advantage of this rate?

also at what rate kWh would you start considering it being "not cheap"

Appreciate your feedback, thanks!

i'm not sure if you're thinking about making your own power plant or whatever, but here in the Netherlands about 75% of the energy price is taxes.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:22:26 PM

No, but only because I have a crappy Internet connection and wouldn't be able to remotely interface with them like I can while they're on a local network. My rigs also aren't space-efficient or rackable... large boxes with lots of "white space," which I guess would cost me a good bit extra.

If I could remotely monitor them, I'd consider up to $.075/KWh after taxes and fees. I'm paying right around $.13/KWh after all's said and done in the US.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: