Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:45:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay scams  (Read 1514 times)
flexgroo (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:48:35 AM

Yes i tried to sell on ebay, guess i learned my lesson, 4 sells two of them scammers.... how somrones account gets hacked on ebay is beyond my thinking... i mean the need the persons email address, ebay password, then paypal password... feel like people are just buying up btc, then canceling payment as soon as its sent....

guess i wont do that anymore, lol

Anyone know what to do, to get "even" or is there a place to post his wallet address as scammers? or seeing has i have the address of the ebay accounts on shipping label i can just drive to them, and ask them nicely

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 02:13:05 AM

Yes i tried to sell on ebay, guess i learned my lesson, 4 sells two of them scammers.... how somrones account gets hacked on ebay is beyond my thinking... i mean the need the persons email address, ebay password, then paypal password... feel like people are just buying up btc, then canceling payment as soon as its sent....

guess i wont do that anymore, lol

Anyone know what to do, to get "even" or is there a place to post his wallet address as scammers? or seeing has i have the address of the ebay accounts on shipping label i can just drive to them, and ask them nicely

What did you sell on Ebay?

I believe per the Ebay terms and conditions you are likely "even" already legally.  There is not much room for litigation or legal "getting even" with Ebay sales.

flexgroo (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:54:33 AM

I sold 4 .1 btc auctions in the last 3 days, for 125,125,110,120, so two where scams, but the other two worked, so i didnt lose much

miaviator
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 05:34:15 AM

I sold 4 .1 btc auctions in the last 3 days, for 125,125,110,120, so two where scams, but the other two worked, so i didnt lose much

The last I saw if you shipped a USB drive or physical item containing the wallet you are protected (with some additional restrictions) by the paybal/ebay seller guarantee.  I'd like to see a case where this works out. 

No harm in posting the public keys of the wallets you sent.

What was your take after fees?

flexgroo (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:55:28 AM

umm that two that sold i was charged like 3 dollars on 125 dollar sale, but i didnt mind, i got 2 btc the other day at 450 each, so .1 cost me 45 dollars, not sure i want to sell on ebay anymore, or just try and trade on exchange, or save for pools, or just save... my options for a big miner are really becoming limited, i might start thinking about at least a 500 gh/s so have something going, or maybe make a nice gpu miner, and join a pool that convert all alt coins into btc
fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:55:37 PM

What happened with the 2 that didn't work?
Did you send the BTC to them ?
flexgroo (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 12:55:44 AM

yes they bought using buy it now, then paid with paypal, and i sent btc after that, then you canceled paypal, and told ebay it wasnt them doing the auction, paypal imeditally refunded them the money
fasmax

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:51:35 AM

I hope you leave negative feedback with a short explanation.
ManBearPig

Activity: 350

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 06:41:46 AM

I hope you leave negative feedback with a short explanation.

You can't leave negative feedback as a seller though.

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_
nitehawk

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Worldcore - Banking for the Future

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:38:32 AM

Ya that sounds a lot ebay

▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄█████████████████████▄
      ▄██████████████████████████▄
    ▄█████████████████▀▀▀██████████
   █████████████████       ███████
  ██████▀▀▀████████   ███   ██████   █
 █████       ██████   ███   ██████   ██
 ████   ███   █████   ███   █████   ███
█████   ███   █████   ███    ████   ████
█████   ███   █████   ████   ████   ████
████    ███   ████   █████   ███   █████
████   ████   ████   █████   ███   █████
▀███   ████   ████   ██████       █████
 ███   █████   ███   ████████▄▄▄███████
  █   ██████   ███   █████████████████
      ███████       █████████████████
     ██████████▄▄▄█████████████████▀
     ▀███████████████████████████▀
       ▀▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Worldcore
▄▄
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
▀▀  ██
    ██
    ▄▄
    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ▀▀
██   
flexgroo (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:46:57 AM

yeah as a seller your kinda screwed, you cant give bad feedback, paypal wont pay, ebay will do nothing.....

also umm, hmm was going to say something really good next but i forgot

Flexgroo
squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:25:34 PM

also umm, hmm was going to say something really good next but i forgot
Flexgroo

Hope you dont mind me using this in my sig  Grin
canuckgal

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 07:39:12 AM

That really sucks... I had the same problem on Local Bitcoins, also, don't accept email money transfers, they can be cancelled as well.  The only safe way I have found is Western Union or cash in person

Cash Bitcoin sales in Winnipeg at www.bitcoinwpg.com. Western Union also available on Local Bitcoins (WinnipegBitcoinSeller)
https://localbitcoins.com/accounts/profile/WinnipegBitcoinSeller/

"Don't worry. Being eaten by a crocodile is just like going to sleep...in a blender." - Simpson, Homer J.

Tips: 1L5n1xgXzPyHDk84Ccpv5r3TKdiKcrVrfs
twentyseventy
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 09:13:29 PM

The last I saw if you shipped a USB drive or physical item containing the wallet you are protected (with some additional restrictions) by the paybal/ebay seller guarantee.  I'd like to see a case where this works out. 

No harm in posting the public keys of the wallets you sent.

What was your take after fees?

This doesn't protect you unless you wait out the 45 days for eBay Seller Protection to expire. Even then, they can do a credit card chargeback, which you have no real recourse against.
Korxax

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 07:31:47 AM

Interesting... I was actually considering selling some stuff on ebay to raise money for a mining machine.  I didn't know the seller took that much risk.  That sucks man, sorry you got screwed.  I don't know how people live with themselves after doing that shit to someone.  I've bought quite a bit of stuff on ebay, but never sold anything.  My wife sells some stuff on Etsy, but hasn't had any problems.  Since you guys seem to know quite a bit about this stuff I was wondering if I could ask you for some advice...  I see some really nice bitcoin miners for sale on ebay but they are pre-orders.  I was wondering if anyone knows if ebay will honor their protections for the buyer if I were to buy a pre-order on ebay and the seller never shipped it.  It would be like 2 months after the sale, so I don't know if they would honor their terms that late.  I know that ebay has buyer protection, as does paypal, and I figured if I paid with an American Express card through paypal that should give me additional protection, but not sure if it would work on a pre-order 2 = months in advance.  I really want to get one of the 1.2+ THs miners but most of the places selling them only accept bitcoin or wire transfer for them, and I have no protection that way unless I use escrow.  I haven't seen a company that is offering escrow for those miners.  There was a time when I was very trusting... but got burned once, happily AmEx covered me on it.  I love the idea of the way bitcoin works, but the trust issue is the biggest problem and where credit cards still hold an advantage.  We need a really cheap escrow system of some kind to get more people to use bitcon, if it costs too much people will fall back on their credit cards.   Maybe someone will come up with a bitcoin credit card...

Korxax

I hate to beg... but...
Looking for donations for a poor disabled guy to get a mining rig.  Long sad story that boils down to Cluster headaches- think a day long migraine packed into a half hour to 2 hours and repeat up to 10 times a day.  And my insurance company screwed me over to the tune of $50k when I had a plumbing problem flood my house, destroyed tons of my stuff including several computers.  Total loss, about $50k  Beware the red umbrella.  Any little bit of help is greatly appreciated.  I have fairly low power rates... so if you have an old miner that you want to donate I would be very grateful.  Contact me and I'll get you an address.
1NtV1q29FtRAYAkMJHMYbASZLiLur2FQe
biea

Activity: 51

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 11:05:24 AM

what ever you do , do not sell at ebay.
miaviator
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 05:53:26 PM

Interesting... I was actually considering selling some stuff on ebay to raise money for a mining machine.  I didn't know the seller took that much risk.  That sucks man, sorry you got screwed.  I don't know how people live with themselves after doing that shit to someone.  I've bought quite a bit of stuff on ebay, but never sold anything.  My wife sells some stuff on Etsy, but hasn't had any problems.  Since you guys seem to know quite a bit about this stuff I was wondering if I could ask you for some advice...  I see some really nice bitcoin miners for sale on ebay but they are pre-orders.  I was wondering if anyone knows if ebay will honor their protections for the buyer if I were to buy a pre-order on ebay and the seller never shipped it.  It would be like 2 months after the sale, so I don't know if they would honor their terms that late.  I know that ebay has buyer protection, as does paypal, and I figured if I paid with an American Express card through paypal that should give me additional protection, but not sure if it would work on a pre-order 2 = months in advance.  I really want to get one of the 1.2+ THs miners but most of the places selling them only accept bitcoin or wire transfer for them, and I have no protection that way unless I use escrow.  I haven't seen a company that is offering escrow for those miners.  There was a time when I was very trusting... but got burned once, happily AmEx covered me on it.  I love the idea of the way bitcoin works, but the trust issue is the biggest problem and where credit cards still hold an advantage.  We need a really cheap escrow system of some kind to get more people to use bitcon, if it costs too much people will fall back on their credit cards.   Maybe someone will come up with a bitcoin credit card...

Korxax

Even if EBay doesn't protect you as a buyer your CC company would protect you under 0 liability. 

The UCC and almost all states protect buyers for a good reason.  If you pay with bank or BTC you are only covered to the extent that you can hire a lawyer and file suit in court.  Normally you won't make out well on under $50,000 deals in court after paying fees.  (Normally)  And under what $3,000 to $7,500 USD you would be in small claims court anyways.

padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 07:52:01 PM

Even if EBay doesn't protect you as a buyer your CC company would protect you under 0 liability. 

The UCC and almost all states protect buyers for a good reason.  If you pay with bank or BTC you are only covered to the extent that you can hire a lawyer and file suit in court.  Normally you won't make out well on under $50,000 deals in court after paying fees.  (Normally)  And under what $3,000 to $7,500 USD you would be in small claims court anyways.

If you do want to file suit, make sure you have a good case and can find the seller, then you would at least have a chance at getting your money plus attorney's fees back.. Generally if the seller is found guilty you can tag them with your attorney's fees and such..

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
https://www.bitworks.io
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: