Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 10:22:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 336 MH/s Where do I point it?  (Read 2327 times)
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:59:08 AM

Just looked it up
I have no idea what to do with one of these
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=amd+card

Those are standard Graphics Cards (also called a GPU) that people use in everyday computers. Lots of people buy powerful GPUs to play video games.

Since they are very good at computing certain algorithms, people use them for mining some Crypto-Currencies. Originally Bitcoin was just mined with CPUs (Processors that are in every computer), until it supported GPU mining (which was faster). Now Bitcoin is primarily mined with ASICs (special hardware build especially for mining bitcoins).

GPUs are useful for mining a variety of Altcoins. Litecoin (LTC) for example.

GPUs connect to a computer Motherboard (every computer has a motherboard), and require that the motherboard supports the GPU (as long as the motherboard is <3 years old it will probably work with any GPU), that there is enough room in the computer case for the GPU card (because GPU cards can be kinda big), and that the computers Power Supply Unit (PSU) has enough power (and the right connectors) for the GPU (in general, any PSU at or over 500W and made within the past <3 years should work with almost any GPUs).

AMD is a company that makes GPUs. The other company is NVidia. AMD GPUs are better for mining Altcoins than NVidia GPUs, so you should look into those.

Some people can just buy a new GPU for their mining computer and leave it mining 24/7, while others buy an entirely new computer with a strong GPU. This page is relevant: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#Graphics_cards

I don't know if this makes a ton of sense, but at least I gave it a shot.

That did help a lot... So I would only be able to fit one card in a computer probably?

I have seen people make machines with Rapberry Pi boards as the base Could this method use more GPUs or no? And would it be harder to build a Raspberry pie or a computer?

BLADEMASTER_the

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:57:27 AM

That did help a lot... So I would only be able to fit one card in a computer probably?

I have seen people make machines with Rapberry Pi boards as the base Could this method use more GPUs or no? And would it be harder to build a Raspberry pie or a computer?

Most motherboards only support one GPU, some support more but they're much more expensive (they're generally sold for the purpose of gaming PCs, and are ~$150-250).

This is the relevant forum for information regarding mining rigs: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=44.0 (it has info for your Raspberry Pi question, specifically)

On a related note, I would be careful investing in mining at all. It's risky, and there's a fairly steep learning curve to getting it all set up. Additionally, you have to weigh the cost of electricity versus the value you're getting from mining. It isn't easy to turn a profit (unless you use free electricity or free hardware or something like that).
t3chie

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:05:58 AM

Bitcoins have a higher difficulty now. If you still want to mine it, use CEX.io
If you have a GPU, use https://gdcpool.us
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:13:32 AM

On a related note, I would be careful investing in mining at all. It's risky, and there's a fairly steep learning curve to getting it all set up. Additionally, you have to weigh the cost of electricity versus the value you're getting from mining. It isn't easy to turn a profit (unless you use free electricity or free hardware or something like that).

I will be mining my own coins and I have ideas for a variety of innovative coins such as this
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=380259.0

xrturbs

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:52:05 PM

That not how it works buddy that's called pre mining, very very bad.

Geezz you sound like an apprentice mechanic saying he's gonna build the next Nascar race engine, then asking what a con rod is? and then asking whether to use wood or metal.

or could just be a huge Troll, lol
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 05:01:46 PM

Windows 8 and the links instructions seemed pretty straight forward but is there some kind of software I am supposed to download?

You will need to download the drivers for the USB stick from here (Download VCP (3.49 MB))

and you will need some mining software to manage the mining hardware, use BFGMiner or CGMiner - Latest-is-3.8.5 or any other miner you choose.

This will be enough for pool mining.

Solo mining (not recommended) will also need a bitcoin wallet to work, like Bitcoin wallet.

This is the software you need to get your 336MH/s USB stick to start mining.

Configure your miner to point to a pool address with the correct username and password an off you go.

(just ask if you would like some pool choice help)

Good Luck!

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:25:30 PM

That not how it works buddy that's called pre mining, very very bad.

Geezz you sound like an apprentice mechanic saying he's gonna build the next Nascar race engine, then asking what a con rod is? and then asking whether to use wood or metal.

or could just be a huge Troll, lol

No I was not talking about premining I am just talking about having stronger hashing power than anyone that would want to mine a brand new alt coin
And I can give those coins away

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:28:14 PM

Windows 8 and the links instructions seemed pretty straight forward but is there some kind of software I am supposed to download?

You will need to download the drivers for the USB stick from here (Download VCP (3.49 MB))

and you will need some mining software to manage the mining hardware, use BFGMiner or CGMiner - Latest-is-3.8.5 or any other miner you choose.

This will be enough for pool mining.

Solo mining (not recommended) will also need a bitcoin wallet to work, like Bitcoin wallet.

This is the software you need to get your 336MH/s USB stick to start mining.

Configure your miner to point to a pool address with the correct username and password an off you go.

(just ask if you would like some pool choice help)

Good Luck!

Thank you
I knew there was mining software I just didn't know where to look for it

Colin Miner

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 05:46:16 PM

Thank you
No problem.

They are both 'command line' bits of software, you don't use the mouse or touch screen, but rather type stuff in on the keyboard.
It takes a bit of getting used to if all your PC time has been on windows, but just ask again if you get stuck with either of the 2 miner programs.

Enjoy your mining and good luck with your new coin venture.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:36:14 PM

Thank you
No problem.

They are both 'command line' bits of software, you don't use the mouse or touch screen, but rather type stuff in on the keyboard.
It takes a bit of getting used to if all your PC time has been on windows, but just ask again if you get stuck with either of the 2 miner programs.

Enjoy your mining and good luck with your new coin venture.

Thank you

Do you know how to use the commands to get your Outside IP? Or whatever is needed to create mining nodes for altcoins

complang

Activity: 32

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:38:16 PM

USB Erupter -> PPCoin imo.
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:42:20 PM

USB Erupter -> PPCoin imo.

Peer coin?

Colin Miner

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 07:09:47 PM

Thank you

Do you know how to use the commands to get your Outside IP? Or whatever is needed to create mining nodes for altcoins

If you want to know your 'outside' IP address, visit whatsmyip.org and it will show you your IP at the top of the page. No commands required.

Aki4real

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:13:34 PM

Maybe join a pool for a low diff coin?
Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:13:42 PM

Thank you

If you want to know your 'outside' IP address, visit whatsmyip.org and it will show you your IP at the top of the page. No commands required.

Thank you

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:14:51 PM

Maybe join a pool for a low diff coin?

I actually have my own coin and was hoping to mine that
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=380259.200

jasonxion

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:41:03 PM

I would suggest a pool like Slush.
Colin Miner

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 07:50:52 PM

I looked at the tread, but couldn't see a link to the finished wallet. I did see andrewboy44 has been very busy  Grin

Is the source available to download?

Bitcoin-hotep (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:03:21 PM

I looked at the tread, but couldn't see a link to the finished wallet. I did see andrewboy44 has been very busy  Grin

Is the source available to download?

I don't know anything about sources but the link to the wallet is under the UT logo we are still working on getting them to sync
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=380259.msg4079328#msg4079328

tehconz

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:07:29 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2013, 10:22:19 PM by tehconz

This is absolutely hilarious. Kid is yet to successfully mine anything (of any coin), doesn’t have any idea how cryptocurrencies work (or what a graphics card is for that matter) and the first thing he decides to do is release his own coin. To top it all off, I’ve just realized what he means when he keeps talking about this “Mini PC” he’s getting that is apparently going to solve all the problems. He’s bought one of those little Android “PC’s”, basically a smartphone without a screen (or a phone). Fantastic, that will help a lot…

I guess this should serve as a lesson for everyone new to this game. If you want to learn about crypto mining, creating your own coin is NOT the best way to go about it. People expect coins to be released by experienced developers, or at least by people who know the basic mechanics of mining etc.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: