Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:13:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradebitcoin.com Free Public Beta  (Read 5273 times)
praxeologist

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 07:36:20 AM

wtf do I need to do with adblock to make the site work? I added the main site URL in a filter and did not check enabled. I guess I see the point in trying to force people to see ads, but I don't know if that is really a formula for success. I see no people on the map = fail. No chance in hell I would pay 5 BTC for this. You need to actually offer something of value first.

Hi! Thanks for trying out the site!

I love AdBlock! There are no ads on the site! At the moment it's 100% volunteer run. I use AdBlock Plus and Firefox 3.6 for development. I don't think it's an issue with AdBlock. Did you try zooming out on the map? The site just launched in Beta a few hours ago, so there are only 16 people signed up so far, it could be that nobody has signed up in your area. Type "Columbia, Missouri" in the search on the home page and click "Go" you should see me on the map. If not, there's probably an issue.

I guess your CSS just happened to not load as soon as I started messing around with adblock since people were talking about it.

Anyhow I just tried zooming out the whole way to planet earth, honed in on Columbia, MO and stuff but see zero dots besides my own. I also see nowhere to search at all - using FF 3.6 and don't see what plugin would do anything weird.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jesmurf (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 03:30:54 PM

I currently sign out to be able to see other users.
How Can I search and see other users while being logged in please?

I just fixed this. You should be able to do both now.

Also, messages within the site would be good; or maybe a forwarding email address @tradebitcoin.com?

This seems to be a very popular feature. It will be a week or two before I'll have enough free time, but I'll definitely be adding something.
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 04:08:20 PM

Oh, also - password retrieval is still not working. Sad

Thanks for reminding me! It's working now.

Yeah, I think a message system of some kind would be great. I'll think about it.
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 05:17:29 PM

I've added a feedback system for the site. If you have any ideas please make a suggestion, or up-vote an idea if you like it!
80sbaby

Activity: 13

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 10:43:44 PM

Wait?   I though the world was round.  The map shows it flat.   Grin
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 24, 2011, 11:15:13 PM

This project is brilliant. Thanks (donation sent).
khal

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2011, 11:31:42 PM

Good idea. But nobody near me yet :p

Also, messages within the site would be good; or maybe a forwarding email address @tradebitcoin.com?
This seems to be a very popular feature. It will be a week or two before I'll have enough free time, but I'll definitely be adding something.

=> We may do something together with bitcoin-contact.org for the messaging system ?
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 12:14:31 AM

There is no one in my country there Sad

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 02:45:20 AM

This project is brilliant. Thanks (donation sent).

Thank you! I'm really glad you like it!

It's so cool getting to see new pins pop up on the map. I've been watching it all day. We now have local Bitcoin traders who have listed their contact info on 5 continents and 19 major cities! Just for chuckles I added up the population for these cities and got 30,010,082. So in theory we're providing access to local bitcoin to over 30 million people! More realistically, if only 1% of those people are in our demographic then Bitcoin is locally available to around ~300,000 people.

The next think I'd like to do is make reliable Bitcoin payment processing APIs for every shopping cart out there. Using Bitcoin favors the website owner. If we can make it so easy to accept that it's just a button click away for all the major shopping carts then providers will be much more likely to use it. There are no transaction fees, so using Bitcoin is effectively a 2%+$0.30 for every transaction.

Anyway, it's really exciting. Thanks!
bitjet

Activity: 696

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 03:26:07 AM

How is this different from bitcoinmap.com ?
jesmurf (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2011, 06:28:59 PM

How is this different from bitcoinmap.com ?

It's a great site! But the only thing the two sites have in common is a map. Bitcoinmap.com  answers the question "Where in the World is Bitcoin?", just like the site slogan says. Bitcoin.local on the other hand answers the question "Where in my town is Bitcoin?" It's more locally oriented and user friendly for that. Bitcoinmap.com is awesome though. Both sites are doing their own thing for Bitcoin.

If you want a longer list than just the site focus I can give you one. These are not criticisms of bitcoinmap.com by the way - just a compare and contrast.
1. Bitcoin.local uses open web technologies, Bitcoinmap.com uses the proprietary Flash player which doesn't work on a wide variety of devices and never will work on all of them. (The non-Flash version appears to be broken.)
2. Bitcoin.local is focused on local search and automatically shows the user Bitcoin traders in their area. In fact, only the closest 40 Bitcoin users will ever be shown. Whereas Bitcoinmap.com shows everyone.
3. Bitcoin.local offers account functions and the ability to change your location or contact information afterward. Bitcoinmap.com does not.
4. Bitcoin.local offers login through Twitter, Facebook, (and eventually) Google Accounts and OpenID. Bitcoinmap.com does not.
5. Bitcoin.local is supported by donations and I always intend it to be that way. Bitcoinmap.com is advertising supported.
6. (This is just my opinion but) Bitcoin.local is prettier. Wink

That said, there's a lot of synergy between the two sites. But we do different things in a righteous battle to make Bitcoin viable for everyday usage - for great justice.

Anyway, yeah, that's the differences.
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 07:43:10 PM

The map seems to be broken, if this site is still being supported.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 09:29:14 PM

I signed up. Great work!

There is a broken link ...  on http://tradebitcoin.com/about the link "transaction guide" is wrong. You might want to run a 404 checker over it.

I wasn't a big fan of the random woman at the bottom. She looks a bit scammy almost. I get the idea behind this image but it just comes off looking a bit cheap.

A few bits of the site are lacking a bit of fit/finish - for instance clicking some of the pins on the map pops up a bubble but the content doesn't always fit inside it.

Here's a feature idea: let people put the currencies and exchange rates they're willing to trade in. Right now if you're in an area with several traders (like Zurich) there isn't a good way to choose between them beyond ratings, which nobody has yet.

I think this site has a tons of potential but I'd suggest working on it some more before moving on to another project. Totally agree that local traders are important.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 09:36:30 PM

Oh, also, why not show email addresses as a contact method? I'd much rather be contacted by email than phone or Skype.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 08:04:53 PM

It's instant, anonymous and irreversible

You probably shouldn't tell people that Bitcoin is anonymous. It could lead to careless transactions.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 10:12:45 PM

Do i need to make another account to use in the feedback system?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 10:15:01 PM

Is the map actually displaying for those of you commenting here?

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
TiagoTiago

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 11:01:55 PM

works for me

Do you like mmmBananas?!
bitdragon

Activity: 609
Merit: 501

peace

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2011, 05:44:21 PM

Being in Europe, I now only see pins in Europe and all those that were previously visible in the US are gone-

BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:29:40 PM

Haven't seen any activity here in a while, but I just got contacted for the first time. I'm going to meet with someone tomorrow to exchange a 20 BTC BitBill for cash. Nice!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: