Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:57:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cloud mining - thoughts?  (Read 638 times)
customxyz (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 07:07:29 AM

I'm relatively new to the mining scene but I feel as if I am catching on pretty quickly.  I am curious what some people think about cloud mining right now.  Any opinions on where to best look to try this out?  Anyone have any success related to it?  Fill me in!  Thanks!
tyler27

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:17:49 AM

Search for "Digitalocean" here on bitcointalk. Many people have posted very easy guides on how and where to cloudmine.

It can still be profitable for newer cpu mined coins...
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:22:39 AM

CEX.IO is generally regarded as the cloud mining site for BTC.  Pretty stable and reliable for its users.  Very nice graphs and layout.  Some criticism over security.

It is not economically feasible based on just buying and sitting on the hashing power (since the cost is currently about 150% overvalued).  If you want the lowest risk buy your own eq or buy some hosted mining eq from another user who wants to get out (basically cloud mining without the ease of selling on CEX).

if you want to flip ownership of hashing power left and right some people have made a profit there (although the odds are against you).

Good luck.
InitialDigital

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 08:30:18 PM

DrG, this is great info to know.

You broke down a part of hashing inside of the cloud that I did not fully understand!

Great drop!
Kasandra

Activity: 68

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:59:48 AM

It's hard to make any profit with cloud mining.

Lisk.io - Dapp & Sidechain Platform
Nicolas_dfz

Activity: 71

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:37:46 AM

I just invested some bitcoins into CEX.io, we'll see how it goes Cheesy
Asato

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:43:24 AM

Smiley
hypes

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:48:02 AM

Any cloud providers have radeon gpu instances?  Shocked

ShayneSpuer

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 11:49:58 AM

sounds good
tugvarish

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:26:11 PM

I just invested some bitcoins into CEX.io, we'll see how it goes Cheesy
Where you going to post the results of that investment?
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:30:14 PM

CEX looks great, a pionner in the Bitcoin cloud mining so give it a try.
Sharrow

Activity: 66

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 08:53:22 PM

DigitalOcean was mentioned above and might be worth trying if you're new to the mining game and don't have the money to invest in Bitcoins for cex.io, or for mining hardware such as ASICs, multiple GPUs etc.

DigitalOcean plans are cheap and you can get free $10 vouchers when buying $5 plans (search Google for latest codes). There are two downsides though:

1) If you don't already know Linux, you will need to get familiar with it VERY quickly to get it to work. There are some good tutorials about Dogecoins (but will help with other currency set-ups too) at http://dogecoin.ga/.

2) The hash rates can be incredibly low so you will need to spend credit quickly to see any worthwhile mining results. I set up dual core server for Dogecoins (for fun) and could only get 6 Khash average. Even with the most expensive plan, you would be lucky to get over 35k.

You might be better off trying to invest in some altcoins for now unless you're willing to spend big bucks on hardware or cex.io, (who I'm deeply suspicious of).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: