Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:32:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of CPU Friendly AltCoins  (Read 72455 times)
PyroTekNeks

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:53:50 AM

Hard to understand that you are saying PTS is GPU miner rumored to be out. Checked through PTS thread, can't find any information of GPU mining. Please update more details, would like see how to GPU mine. Thanks.
I've read a few that it IS GPU mineable. Someone said they were able to make a miner and sold it exclusively to someone. Not sure if true. You do need a 2gb AMD card though.

http://scrypt.cc?ref=baaai
^^^SCRYPT CLOUD MINING SITE!!!^^^
btc-mike (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:11:51 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2014, 03:59:29 PM by btc-mike

I took some time to look for the GPU miner last night and there is not one available. I will be moving Protoshares back to CPU only.

Also, Frozen will not be added too list at all since it was GPU minable from the start.

TO DO
- Move Protoshares to CPU Only section.
- Add Atom and Particle to limited GPU section.
- Add FAQ
luckytiger

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:14:48 AM

-Particle [PRT]

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=392804.0
Morticio

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:19:30 AM

for add:

2CHcoin, russian coin: http://2ch.hk/cc/res/16469.html
frambelicious

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 01:23:46 AM

Also, Frozen will not be added too list at all since it was GPU minable from the start.

I think Frozen should be added. There are two arguments:
1. It is in the same limited way GPU mineable as any other Quark clone
2. The GPU mining for Quark / Frozen is currently very limited:
- There is currently only one GPU miner available ("Smelter": a closed source project which supports only a few GPUs and takes 10% of the profit)
- Smelter is not supporting pool mining
- At the current difficulties of Frozen the GPU miners report that they find no more blocks by solo mining => GPU mining impossible now
- Even if the difficulty is low so that solo mining of Quark / Frozen with GPUs work it has shown not have give that big gain compared to CPU mining
joelao95
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1009

Coin of the Magi!

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 02:13:32 AM

Thanks for clarification. Your list is quite useful for me to do CPU mining, as well as others. I heard some people say there could be Script miners available in the near future. If that happens, I guess GPU mining is nearly impossible then.

I took some time to look for the GPU miner last night and there is not available. I will be moving Protoshares back to CPU only.

TO DO
- Move Protoshares to CPU Only section.
- Add Atom and Particle to limited GPU section.
- Add FAQ

Coin MAGI  . XMG   
Coin Source : Trust Verified    [ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ]
  ♓.NΣTWORK-DΣPΣNDΣNT  RΣWARDING SYSTΣM  ※ 
  ANN THREAD MAGIPAY FAQ FORUM
.CPU Mining   PoS-II   PoM   Unique Block Reward 
wwtree

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 06, 2014, 12:52:47 PM

good thread.

btc-mike (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 01:31:03 AM

UPDATES
- Moved Protoshares back to CPU Only section.
- Added Atom to limited GPU section.
- Added Particle to limited GPU section.

TODO
- Add Frozen to limited GPU section.
- Add FAQ

I checked more. Frozen appears to only be GPU mineable with smelter so it will be added.
vingaard
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:19:56 AM

Thanks  Grin

it's very useful  Wink
btc-mike (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 06:37:19 AM

UPDATES
- Added Frozen to limited GPU section.
- Added CDNcoin to high-risk CPU section.
- Added website for Protoshares.
- Added website for Quark.

TODO
- Add FAQ
spadespade

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:30:55 PM

Very helpful thread, thanks.

I believe that it is very hard to mine XPM and PTS with GPU. It is not impossible, but not valuable to mine with GPU. As I know, there is GPU miner for XPM, but, it is even slower than CPU. There are two obstacles for GPU mining for these two coins:1)coding efforts, many hard work needed to move to GPU; 2)efficiency or optimization, a valuable GPU miner should be much faster than CPU. Even for the Quark miner, Smelter, it is not very fast over CPU.
frambelicious

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 07, 2014, 04:52:58 PM

About Bernankoin (BEK), I think this should be put under "high risk".

Background: as far as I understand the coin is meant to be a political joke. The idea was to demonstrate practically a system based on the principle: "a more money already issued, a more money will be issued". This means, a more miners will partake, a higher the block reward will be. As of a statement of the author I think to recall, that the coin cannot have long term value, and is not meant to.
btc-mike (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 03:48:31 AM

UPDATES
- Added BTC-e to Primecoin exchanges.

TODO
- Add FAQ

About Bernankoin (BEK), I think this should be put under "high risk".

Background: as far as I understand the coin is meant to be a political joke. The idea was to demonstrate practically a system based on the principle: "a more money already issued, a more money will be issued". This means, a more miners will partake, a higher the block reward will be. As of a statement of the author I think to recall, that the coin cannot have long term value, and is not meant to.

It looks that way to me too but DOGE was a joke that took off. I will wait on it. Anyone else have an opinion?
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 08:39:44 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 10:53:57 AM by AnonyMint

Note that CPU-ONLY can be made botnet resistant by increasing the memory requirement sufficiently, yet I am not aware of any Altcoin which does.

MemoryCoin and ProtoShares

MemoryCoin and ProtoShares can both be mined faster with a GPU and especially an ASIC, although if anyone has bothered to make a GPU miner for PTS then they are apparently keeping it to themselves:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=22.msg23874#msg23874
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355532.msg4166700#msg4166700

For MMC apparently the 2 - 3x limitation assumption on speedup of AES on GPUs from the above linked thread, is incorrect and 16x is theoretically possible:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1958.msg22532#msg22532

Primecoin and derivatives

I am doubting the entropic security of Primecoin. Also I doubt the security due to lack of botnet resistance.

Since Primecoin is compute bound it is surely not FPGA and ASIC-resistant.

Also the 48X performance reduction logic on why it should be GPU resistant is incoherent and/or incomplete. The claim is that modular exponentiation can't be parallelized (i.e. that the internal and recursive steps of a single copy are serial), thus claiming a limit of 2 - 3X speedup. However that author did not respond to the sound idea of running multiple orthogonal copies in parallel. I've sent that author a PM and hope he will respond in one of the threads. Note he didn't disappear, but hasn't posted since the time the author of ReaperMine disappeared.

The 10X performance reduction logic relies on CPUs being 64-bit with GPUs 32-bit. But GPUs have more FLOPs to throw at this and some GPUs have some FP64 cores confirmed by wikipedia but if these are only floating point they may not be useful.

I've read that after receiving 75 BTC, the developer of ReaperMine appears to have disappeared?

From what I've seen prime coin was demonstrated to not be faster than CPU mining with a GPU.

The above logic is that the ReaperMine GPU miner has probably not been properly designed and optimized yet to full potential, or it has and is being kept private. Even the author stated the sieve portion needed to be improved to process more candidates as his implementation was underutilitizing the GPU.

What are these people who purportedly donated 75 BTC to the developer of ReaperMine saying? Apparently he was using the typical saleman trick of a time-deadline to induce more donations. He releases something half-baked then disappears $75,000 in pocket (if true). And he reported having a private problem that was a "rough patch in his life". Hmmm.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
phrozenspite

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2014, 09:05:23 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2014, 11:45:07 AM by phrozenspite

From what I've seen prime coin was demonstrated to not be faster than CPU mining with a GPU.

Memorycoin is 5-10 times faster depending on your CPU.  There is no public or pool limited GPU miner for proto shares but it seems to be common knowledge that private tools exist.  And since mmc and pts both use momentum variations as PoW it isn't a huge leap to make that one could exist for it.

Edit. Open source cuda miner created with speculation that private ones have existed for a while. Open cl coming https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2114.15

btc-mike (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 01:30:26 AM

UPDATES
- Added Secondcoin to high-risk category.

TODO
- Add FAQ

Memorycoin is 5-10 times faster depending on your CPU.  There is no public or pool limited GPU miner for proto shares but it seems to be common knowledge that private tools exist.  And since mmc and pts both use momentum variations as PoW it isn't a huge leap to make that one could exist for it.

Edit. Open source cuda miner created with speculation that private ones have existed for a while. Open cl coming https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2114.15

I am keeping an eye on that thread.
simbo

Activity: 165

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:25:32 AM

hi,

You missed out datacoin(primecoin fork) & siriuscoin(SHA3). Thanks

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
btc-mike (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 02:51:45 AM

TODO
- Add Siriuscoin
- Add FAQ

hi,

You missed out datacoin(primecoin fork) & siriuscoin(SHA3). Thanks

Datacoin is number two on the list.
voffka05

Activity: 52

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 08:29:47 PM

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2114.90 proof GPU miner PTS
btc-mike (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 06:19:17 PM

UPDATES
- Moved Protoshares to limited GPU section.

TODO
- Add Siriuscoin
- Add FAQ
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: